Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Elysian Drop Troop Army List V4.0 development

Post subject: Re: Elysian Drop Troop Army List V4.0 development
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:58 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

This weeknd, on Saturday, I will be bringing my Epic Elysian Army and have already hooked up a 3000 point game against Dan's Black Legion Chaos army, and hope to face some other peoples armies as well. I will bring my Titanicus incase no-one else want to test my list.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I worked out a new list for testing the army. It only has 12 formations.

3000 point Elysian drop list – test list 2.
core
325 points – Regimental Command Company – Supreme Commander, 7 drop troopers, Hardened Veterans, Sabre, Spotter, Commissar, Fire Support troops
350 points – Drop Company – Commander, 11 Drop Troopers, 2 Hardened Veteran units, Spotter, Sabre, Commissar
225 points – Drop Company – Commander, 7 Drop Troopers, Spotter, Commissar
225 points – Mortar Company – Commander, 3 Drop Troopers, 4 Mortar Sections, Sabre, Commissar
spt
300 points – Grey Ghost Company – 8 Grey Ghost units
300 points – Storm Trooper Company – Commander, 7 Storm trooper units, Commissar
300 points – Vulture Squadron – 4 Vulture Gunships
allied
150 points – Lightning Strike Squadron – 2 Lightning Strike Fighters
150 points – Lightning Squadron – 2 Lightning Fighters
150 points – Space Ship – 1 Luna Class Cruiser
300 points – Iron Breaker Platoon – 6 allied Guard units, 3 Leman Russ Conqueror Tanks, 3 Chimera

A lot more Spotters to call in MW artuillery fire (hopefully some can get chance to call in arty fire before getting blown away this time). The BTS if the Drop Coy with the extra toopers, so the Supreme Commander does not get targeted first. Maybe he will be shot at 2nd.

The Line breaker Squadron will make the list harder to break. 3 Chimeras transporting 6 infantyr with longer ranged weapons, 3 Leman Russ Conquerors with 4+RA to last a bit longer. It will also protect the Blitz. Maybe sit of to the side and behind cover until needed.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:01 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Still trying to get test games in for the list. Covid had put the brake n it a little, however people moving onto other gaming systems like Adeptus Titanicus, Battlefleet Gothic, and many others has reduced the amount of games I can get.

I have been only able to get games of Battletech and a modified version of 9th ed 40K within the last few months. I have built a nice test list that I hope might get tested if people have the time.

It has less formations, however they are larger, have more spotters, and a nice ion breaker squadron to provide defence in the rear.

3000 point Elysian drop list – test list 2.
Core Formations – 1350 points
325 points – Regimental Command Company – Supreme Commander, 7 drop troopers, Hardened Veterans, Sabre, Spotter, Commissar, Fire Support troops
350 points – Drop Company – Commander, 11 Drop Troopers, 2 Hardened Veteran units, Spotter, Sabre, Commissar [BTS]
225 points – Mortar Company – Commander, 3 Drop Troopers, 4 Mortar Sections, Sabre, Commissar
Support Formations – 900 points
300 points – Grey Ghost Company – 8 Grey Ghost units
300 points – Storm Trooper Company – Commander, 7 Storm trooper units, Commissar
300 points – Vulture Squadron – 4 Vulture Gunships
Allies and Ships – 750 points
150 points – Lightning Strike Squadron – 2 Lightning Strike Fighters
150 points – Lightning Squadron – 2 Lightning Fighters
150 points – Space Ship – 1 Luna Class Cruiser
300 points – Iron Breaker Platoon – 6 allied Guard units, 3 Leman Russ Conqueror Tanks, 3 Chimera

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Took a look at the PDFs. I was a bit confused at first by the design notes and special rules, which seem more complicated than they need to be. If I understand correctly, you just want formations to be able to be deployed either via SELF planetfall, or deployed normally with transport skimmers. To do this, you have a section in the (non-normative) Design Notes describing grav chutes and valkyries, and an army-specific special unit ability called "drop troops", which then itself references 'grav chutes' and 'planet fall'.

Firstly the result of using planetfall is that you need a spaceship in order for the 'core of the army' (as you describe it) to deploy, which I don't believe is what you intended. You also need to read several sections in order to understand what it means. I would simplify this by just adding the existing standard "Self-planetfall" rule to the unit profile of all relevant units (i.e. most things excluding the skimmers). A custom 'Drop Troops' rule is not needed. It's clear that if you add units to a formation that cannot self-planetfall (i.e. valkyries), the formation loses this ability, I don't think you need a special rule just to explain this. However if you wanted to make it clearer that these are two completely different deployment options representing the 'core' vs 'reactionary force', you could add a simple reminder in the army list.

Incidentally, you're not actually placing any army composition restrictions to ensure that "the core of the army is deployed via grav chutes" as the design notes put it; if you wanted to do that, you could just split the army list into 'drop' and 'reactionary force' sections: one without transports, one with. This would make it even clearer.

Buying the skimmers as upgrades means the formation loses the ability to self-planetfall so I understand why this upgrade is not the same price compared to e.g. Steel Legion valkyries. Can't really comment on whether the price is internally balanced or not, but for an army like this where multiple formations are expected to drop, self-planetfall is radically different to and a lot more powerful than either planetfall or teleport, because you can choose exactly when to move them onto the board, with no BMs, and no risk to the formation before you activate them or if you fail their activation. I think probably this is worth a fair amount to give up, but bear in mind that if you price the upgrade the same across formations then you need to ensure that the varying worth of self-planetfall is baked into the base formation itself: by that I mean, it's going to be a more reliable ability for mortars and veterans than it is for the core drop troops, purely because drop troops have more limited range.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:55 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yes you do need a spaceship, which is why one is included in the list. If you know planetfall then you should know this already. So I did not specifically say you must include a spaceship to include drop troops with the planetfall ability.

I thought I had made it clear. The planetfall ability has been introduced because selfplanetfall was s nightmare and the troops wo dropped down were shot to bits peicemeal in the test games. Secondly because mass teleport was deemed OP, and the list would not get approved for tournament play without its removal.

I have a good array of moderately inexpensive troops who cha be deployed as reserves via planetfall, be deplayed on the table, or take valkyries and be set up the tble as a mobile back up to the troops who are deployed enmasse.

You have the regimental HQ, drop companys which can be tailored to be - Pure Assault (Cyclops and hardened veterans) - Defence Support (spotters heavy weapons and Sabres) - a mix of the 2 or just there for larger formations with the 4 extra drop troopers. Note I have limited upgrades to 4 so ypu do not have a massive expensive formation with every option. There is also a mortar company 1 per 1000 points, and a plethora of support formations to fill the army out with cheap-ass easily killed initiative sinks, or useful slightly more expensive formations to provide hard hitting tank killing role.

The allies include the spaceship (mandatory for Planetfall) - though I had teased with the idea of the Blitz being a non destroyable artillery spotting C3 bunker that replace the Spaceship and alows for 2 large artillery MW barrages to account for the loss of the Pin Point attack.

I have some very nice deployable formations that are themed to the list - Grey Ghosts, Taurus/TaurusVenators, Vultures, Scout Sentinels, Armoured and Support Sentinels and Storm Troopers - the only foation you can teleport in with (as the list still needs some last minute teleport option to deny an objective.

I think everything is straight forward.

To planetfall, simply place a model from the formation within 15cm of the PS co-ordinates, roll for scatter, place model (using planetfall rules) then place the rest of the formation within 5cm of another model from the formation until all ar deplaioyed. Move to the next formation in the army that is arriving this turn and redo the scatter, etc until all formations have been deployed, delayed for a turn destrouyed as they landed off board and so on. Since the spaceship takes up one activation, then you have another chance to activate a formation and then pass the turn over to your opponent.

The game then procedes as normal from that point on. It means you have a one hit wonder hammer strike by your assault dropped forces spread across the board. You hope enough of them survive to kick the enmy off the objectives, survive and hold on until some ouf your follow up forces can reinforce them.

The army is fragile, with some fast vehicles and light vehicles lots of troops who hopefully can use the terrain to survive, and you hit hard with outnumbering forces, and gradually they get reduced down in numbers as the enemy reacts and brings their forces up to push you off what you have taken. You have the Leman Russ Conquerors, chimeras and allied guard to either hold your blitz or rush up and hurt the enmy trying to bust up your plans.

It is not meant to be an easy army, but it it is meant to be fun, and to keep your opponent guessing where you are going to drop all those troops.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7