Login |  Register |  FAQ

What music does everyone like?

Post subject: What music does everyone like?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 10:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi All,

This is a question that will have lots of varied answers, but what music does everyone like? I have this weird view that everyone who likes GW stuff also likes death (or should that be deaf) metal. Everytime I go in my local GW they either have super wierd sh*t on or heavy rock.

Personally I have a wide and varied tast. I like old stuff like Led Zeppelin, Beatles, Black Sabbath etc, and new stuff like Linkin Park, Foo Fighters etc.

Now prove me wrong and show that GW followers don't listen to freaky music.

Cheers

Chris

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 11:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hey, I kinda know what you mean about the GW music image thing.. ???
Anyway.. I'm not one of them :;): ... I love punk and ska- Less than Jake, American Hi-Fi, Reel Big Fish, The Starting Line, NOFX etc....  I also like some different stuff like The Coral, The Datsuns, and some other alternative music... And I do like a bit of older stuff every so often like the Kinks :) , Led Zeppellin, Ugly Kid Joe (not that old) and loads of other bands too that I can't remember right now :laugh:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 12:05 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Personally, I dig music in general. I come from a family of musicians and was taught to appreciate and was exposed to all forms of music. I have a fairly varied music library. I like almost eveything. Jazz, classical, rock, punk, soul, funk, blurgrass everything. But, being an electronic musician myself am tend to be more partial to eletronic music in all of its various guises. I was heavily into industrial and similar music around 15 years ago.

I have heard country music decline through the 60s and soul music has been on a stedy decline since the 80s. Both of which I can't listen to new material without wanting to gouge out my eyes. Rock music in all of its forms is still going stong. But, there is a lack of polish and musicianship in some of the newer bands. I think it is its own style to now sound cheap. Like a garage band. Also, there are'nt any vertuoso guitar players like there used to be. I also can't get into rap. There are a few tunes here and there that are good but, by and large, I don't really care for it.

Ok, I'll close it up. I can go on forever. You touched on the one subject that I am more passionate about than epic. :o

p.s. Death to the RIAA!!!!   :p

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 12:08 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

>>the one subject that I am more passionate about than epic

**shocked intakes of breath all round**

Hehe, next thing we know itl be Primarch saying this... tho I somewhat doubt it :;):

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 12:10 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Sorry to dissapoint you, but I am a bit of a metalhead, although I must admit that rock music never really can compare with the likes of Beethoven or J S Bach, who are other favourites of mine.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 12:15 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I just had to comment on this one, from Signius's post:

"Also, there are'nt any vertuoso guitar players like there used to be."

- I am currently banging my head to the sound of one of mr. Yngwie Malmsteens heatrtripping solos.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 1:24 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

My mistake was saying any. When I meant as many. Sure, there are still some guys dedcated to the six-string axe. What I have personally noticed was a generalzation of ripping. Using the same stock riffs and scales. I don't care how loud or fast you can play something. The same riff is the same riff. You can add all the distortion and compression you want. The chromatic scale may be limiting but, not that limiting. The problem is there is very little experimenting. Everyone now has learned by listening to their favorate artist, a tabs book or video rather than being taught any theory. So, of couse the sound is diluted.

In the late fifties eletric guitars were played like acoustics but louder. Solos were rare except in blues, jazz and R&B. As R&B began to melt in with other forms of music, like county, we got rock&roll. In the sixties the rock type solo was a newer art form and alot of experimenting was done. By the late sixties it was all experimentation. In the seventies the benifits of the sixties experiment benfitted by players developing individual sounds. The seventies also began a new musical theory. The three chord riff. The template for punk. The eighties continued to developand these theories. AS a result, more and more groups began to spring up. By the mid eighties ther were tons and tons of rock and punk bands. The sounds splintered and went different ways. The music scene was so saturated and splintered. with bands that individuality gave way to standardizing the sound. There seemed to be a need to catagorize. But, by doing so it killed the ever evolving nature of rock music. Alot of the blame has to go on the record industry itself. In the eighties marketing ,a bastardized version advertizing, became all too prevelent. Selling the image in cloths and how to books and videos. The synthesizer also marked and scared the music scene by giving would be musicians a new and easier way of doing things. By the late eighties rock was almost dead. Metal and punk went underground and splintered a few more times. The 90s saw a slow reimergance of rock by way of the "seattle and manchester" sounds. Groups bagan trying to reinvent the wheel. Combining different sounds together. Emphisizing on the new sound rather than the musicianship. Which is where we are now. There are at least a few people who have ignored this and have just rock-on, as the phrase goes. We'll see where we go from here. Rock is on the mend. It has taken some time.

Anyway, sorry to bore you all with this ultra-condensed version of guitar music history.  Bang-on, man.

p.s. DEATH TO THE RIAA!!!!!!!!  :p

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 1:08 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

Quote (Chris @ 15 2003 Mar.,21:34)
I have this weird view that everyone who likes GW stuff also likes death (or should that be deaf) metal. Everytime I go in my local GW they either have super wierd sh*t on or heavy rock.

I remember when GW was REALLY heavy metal! No uniforms (horrible red jumpers) so the staff wore always black, and there was always heavy/death metal in the stores. That was when 40K was actually Gothic! Then GW had things going with Bolt Thrower (great album) and D-Rok (OK).

The image was only slightly spoiled by the staff having bright painted nails, which they used as a mixing palette!  :p

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 12:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

To be honest, I couldn't classify myself to one type of music.  If its a good song/tune, then I'll like it no matter what it is.

I do admit to not liking any R'n'B shite though, and manufactured bands annoy me too.

Lately I've been listening to a lot of David Bowie. (that sounded a little fast showish)

:D

'Today I shall mostly be listening to Star Man'  :p

My collection is pretty big, and ranges from things like

Blink, sex pistols, bloodhound gang too pulp, blur and bluetones.  Charlatans, King Adora to Chris de Burg, Huey Lewis and the News.

And all the things inbetween and beyond.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 1:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (Shadow Hunter @ 19 2003 Mar.,03:47)
I do admit to not liking any R'n'B shite though,

You mean all R&B? Dating back to the 50's or just that new mariah carey type garbage? I am intrigued.  :p

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 1:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah okay, its mostly the new crap I dont like.  But I'm not a massive fan of the older stuff either.

Mariah Carey, christ, cant stand the stupid girl, or that bloody jennifer Lopez tart.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 2:13 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah, I know what you mean. A minute into a song and it feels like my brain will begin to bleed.  :p  I don't know how bad radio is there. Here, my god, I could scratch out my eyes listening to what they are trying to pass off as music.   :angry: I have completely stopped listening to the radio. Gave it up cold turkey about five years ago. I just couldn't take it. But, when my neice comes over, the brain pain starts and doesn't stop until she leaves. I really need a satillite radio.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 5:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah, new stuff is crap!! I hate dance music and "manufactured" bands.

I prefer music where I can listen to the instuments - Bass, Guitar, Drums - you know what I mean

Cheers

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 7:22 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Dance music and Drum and Bass... ughhh (spits).
Most new music is pretty much all shite i agree..... :(

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 12:37 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Rock or as we use to say "Rock AND ROOOLL !!!!" ?Thank you ... :blues: