Login |  Register |  FAQ

Adeptus Titanicus - need veteran feedback

Post subject: Adeptus Titanicus - need veteran feedback
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:10 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Bonjour à tous,

We have planned to play a game of Adeptus Titanicus at Lyon, France, on february. This is just a good way to gather many Epic Armageddon and NetEpic gamers (around 12) around a same table and have fun.

But my Adeptus Titanicus experience is poor (just 5-6 games many, many years ago) and I need some feedbacks to organize this game...

Each of the gamers will control one Warlord (we'll play only Adeptus Titanicus without Codex Titanicus). So that would be a 6 titans vs 6 titans battle.

These are my questions :

How long could be this game ? We have planned to play a saturday afternoon (from 14h to 18h). 4 hours could be enough ?
Should we split the battle into 2 games (3 titans vs 3 titans) ?

What should be the size of the battle field ?
In the AT rulebook it is said that a minimum size should be 60 x 90cm. We planned a 90 x 160cm battlefield. Is this enough or too big ?

I hope that some of you will be able to answer my questions... ;D

P.S. : Aux membres français d'epic_fr qui lisent ce sujet... Chuuuuuuuut! Merci. ;)

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Adeptus Titanicus - need veteran feedback
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It has been a looooooong time since I played AT, but from my rather vague memory...

1. Four hours sounds plenty. You may even get 2 games out of that time (it depends how familiar you are with quick you with the rules / how quick you are at referencing the rule books.

2. The game is designed to be played with only 2 sides fighting. However, I seem to recall adapting the rules to allow more sides. 6 players sounds like it would be great fun (but how could you fairly deploy each side?)! Certainly 3 v 3 is simplest and the way the game was meant to be played. It's up to you mon amie!

3. 90 x 160 sounds quite spacious. Personally I'd go for maybe about 80 x 120cm. But I just like to be difficult!

Good luck... And please let us know how it went! It would be great to read a little mini report and take a trip down memory lane!

Cheers!

Life of Die Channel including Epic Podcasts and Battle Reports

Epic 40K Players Page on Facebook
Net Epic Evolution Rules
Net Epic War! Campaign Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Bissler wrote:
It has been a looooooong time since I played AT, but from my rather vague memory...

Many thanks for your help!

Quote:
1. Four hours sounds plenty. You may even get 2 games out of that time (it depends how familiar you are with quick you with the rules / how quick you are at referencing the rule books.

Good news ! :)

Quote:
2. The game is designed to be played with only 2 sides fighting. However, I seem to recall adapting the rules to allow more sides. 6 players sounds like it would be great fun (but how could you fairly deploy each side?)! Certainly 3 v 3 is simplest and the way the game was meant to be played. It's up to you mon amie!

This was I meant : we'll have 6 Imperial Titans for one side vs 6 Rebel Titans for the other side. There will not be as many sides as players.

Quote:
3. 90 x 160 sounds quite spacious. Personally I'd go for maybe about 80 x 120cm. But I just like to be difficult!

Ok.

Quote:
Good luck... And please let us know how it went! It would be great to read a little mini report and take a trip down memory lane!

Don't worry, there will be a lot of pictures for this battle! I'll try to sum up the action in English too.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

It's been a while but her goes...

1. It is easy to accommodate players, since each titan is enough for one player. 6 titans can be players by six players. One player on each side is named the "grandmaster" or leader of the team for any team initiative.

2. Roll initiative for team and have each side (if few players) or each player alternate turns. This avoids having the winning team for initiative get to move all their titans before the other side gets to act.

3. A smaller playing surface is better, since titans move slowly. 80 x 120 would be optimal.

4. I would do a city fight for the terrain. It blocks line of sight and promotes maneuver. This way long range weapons do not dominate. Have opposing sides start at different sectors within the city.

5. Depending on number of players, you should be able to get 2 games in the time allotted.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

primarch wrote:
1. It is easy to accommodate players, since each titan is enough for one player. 6 titans can be players by six players. One player on each side is named the "grandmaster" or leader of the team for any team initiative.

2. Roll initiative for team and have each side (if few players) or each player alternate turns. This avoids having the winning team for initiative get to move all their titans before the other side gets to act.

This is how we will work it.

Quote:
3. A smaller playing surface is better, since titans move slowly. 80 x 120 would be optimal.

Ok.

Quote:
4. I would do a city fight for the terrain. It blocks line of sight and promotes maneuver. This way long range weapons do not dominate. Have opposing sides start at different sectors within the city.

Yep, we want a "true" Adeptus Titanicus experience so we'll fight in a city. ;)

Quote:
5. Depending on number of players, you should be able to get 2 games in the time allotted.

That would be great! ;D

One more question. We plan to give a whole budget for each side in order to allow players to play different titans (long range support, close contact, etc.).
We thought about a budget = 750 points x the number of titans. With 12 players (6 titans by side), it would be a budget around 4 500 points... What do you think about this ?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Gah! You've got me there! I can't remember any of the points costings for AT!

However, my suggestion would be to calculate the cost of three Titans; one with the cheapest weapons, one with the most expensive and then one with a mix of heavy & cheap weaponry. Add the 3 totals together, divide by 3 - that should give you an average value which would be a good starting point for your budget.

Sorry if this is what you've already done!

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

fbruntz wrote:
primarch wrote:

This is how we will work it.

Quote:

Ok.

Quote:

Yep, we want a "true" Adeptus Titanicus experience so we'll fight in a city. ;)

Quote:

That would be great! ;D

One more question. We plan to give a whole budget for each side in order to allow players to play different titans (long range support, close contact, etc.).
We thought about a budget = 750 points x the number of titans. With 12 players (6 titans by side), it would be a budget around 4 500 points... What do you think about this ?

Hi!

A reasonable amount of points, but I would suggest enforcing players adhere to that per individual titans. You can make builds in excess of 1000 points for a nemesis class titan.

As long as they stick to the 750 per titan it should be feasible.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I always thought it was more fun to both start with an overall total and see what we all came up with. This usually resulted in a few lightly armed Titans with CC and short range weaponry backed up by a heavy duty Nemesis, giving the game a good mix and making it unpredictable. I would have thought if every Titan had to be priced at 750 there wouldn't be much variety. Just my opinion though, it's not often we disagree! :)

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:33 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Bissler wrote:
I always thought it was more fun to both start with an overall total and see what we all came up with. This usually resulted in a few lightly armed Titans with CC and short range weaponry backed up by a heavy duty Nemesis, giving the game a good mix and making it unpredictable. I would have thought if every Titan had to be priced at 750 there wouldn't be much variety. Just my opinion though, it's not often we disagree! :)

Hi!

In a game amongst friends at home this would be what I would do, but in the kind of setting fbruntz is planning to run the games a balanced approach is warranted since you never know whom might show up to play.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:34 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

One again thank you for your comments that are very usefull !

The players for this game are all coming from my usual gaming group so I'm not too worry about their fairplay.

What do you think if we add a simple rule : 1000 points max per titan?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:45 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

fbruntz wrote:
One again thank you for your comments that are very usefull !

The players for this game are all coming from my usual gaming group so I'm not too worry about their fairplay.

What do you think if we add a simple rule : 1000 points max per titan?

Hi!

If its a group of friends then a max cap is fine, or none at all. Just have each "team" adhere to the 4500 max points per the "groups" titans. Let each side decide and assign the titans they want to make. :)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:14 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I like the idea of a points limit per team.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:13 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

We'll make some tests about the lists (4500 points, no more than 1000 points per titan) and I'll tell you if it seems to work or not. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Perhaps, for the sake of time, you could design and equip each titan and then distribute the pre-planned Titans amongst the players when they arrive.

That way you could ensure a mix of styles and equal points.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Easy E wrote:
Perhaps, for the sake of time, you could design and equip each titan and then distribute the pre-planned Titans amongst the players when they arrive.

That way you could ensure a mix of styles and equal points.

Hi!

That's a great idea! :)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules