Login |  Register |  FAQ

terrain

Post subject: terrain
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 11:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Trenches are counted as impassable to vehicles, i would say yes to this for motorbikes and maybe dreadnoughts, but not for land raiders or titans, could they be counted as stopping vehicles for one turn, rather than impassable?

seems strange a titan can cross rivers but not a trench, at most it would be a hindrance to vehicles rather than stopping them dead.even cavalry would be able to cross them in a jump

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 1:27 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

The most recent revision is tackling some of those issues and they are very much along the lines you suggest.

If you have any other thoughts on ths please post them!

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:13 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

well as an ex-armoured soldier, tank driver not knight in armour :) i never found a wood that stopped a 60 ton tank! or a trench, so you need to classify the vehicles rhinos and chimeras and their size would find woods as passable but id put it at half advance range, heavier as normal. i had thought of just putting the woods as normal for all vehicles as well id presume 40k drivers where well trained.

but id put a +1 for attacking or -1 for armour defending in woods as vision would be restricted heavily, and a tank sticks out more than a squad of infantry

trenches well normal to all except motorcycles which id think be impossible unless a gorgon or vehicle equipped with a dozer blade has gone first, but for all else normal, however i do not know how you could do this, but well if the tanks cross a trench, then the defending troops still in trenches should get a modifier for attacking these too, if you,ve seen the film cross of iron, shows germans knocking tanks out, trying to cross trenches.

only exception to this being titans and super heavy vehicles they just squash the grunts.  :(

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 5:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yes, Simon, as a former Mech Cdr (M113s), I have to agree with you on many points. ?Most vehicles (MBTs, APCs, etc.) going thru woods should move on advance type orders, maybe at ? speed. As far as tenches, the same as woods except, they should take a Dangerous Terrain Test, like in SM1.? And as you said, in "Cross of Iron" (great flic), and based on my "adventures as a Grunt", it clearly shows how Infantry & Tanks interact in close combat. ?If the Grunts have AT weapons like the Panzerfaust, LAW, AT4, RPG etc. in closed terrain, the tanks may be in for a bad day :D ... ?And also based on the flic ... watch out for Russian women :o ! ? OUCH !!!   :(

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 11:34 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

my days of worrying about russian women are long gone :(
but oh well.

i agree on your dangerous terrain test, something i had,nt thought of doing. Tanks and APCs in woods are at a very serious disadvantage unless they have infantry cover, but i suppose its how difficult you want the game, as i have oodles of time on my hands at weekends, and as a solo gamer i can add as much to the rules as neccesary.

Its just that the terrain rules do need changing,on another note, does anyone know of any tournaments that still take epic for games? i was thinking of hiring a table at wargame world in nottingham for a game of epiccom, have chaos and imperial forces, and would fancy a game against a live opponent

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 5:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yes, I played a lot of SM 1 solo, until I found and drafted some players, back in '90.  I thought the DTT rules were worth while, because as you and I both know from experience, that terrain plays a critical role on the battlefield.  However it was not till E40K, that they came up with good road movement rules.  Both vehicles & troops move faster on roads then cross-country.