Multiple Assault Weapons

Post subject: Multiple Assault Weapons
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

A Warlock Titan has:

DC 6
Psychic Lance: Small Arms, EA(+2)
Power Fist: Small Arms, EA(+3) OR Assault Weapons, EA(+2).

My understanding is this gives the following options:

* 6 attacks that can be any mix of FF and CC.
* An additional 2 FF attacks using the Psychic Lance
* An additional 3 FF or 2 CC attacks using the Power Fist.

That's 10 or 11 attacks in total (half of which can be TK(D3)) which seems pretty absurd but, on the other hand, it is a titan build for close combat. After pondering for a while, this does seem like the most logical, straightforward reading of the rules.

Two possible areas of doubt:
* Does the allocation of the 6 base attacks have any impact? I was initially thinking it didn't quite make sense to apply 6 base CC attacks, and then gain a bunch of FF from the extra attacks. However, on reflection, I don't see any reason why you couldn't do that.
* Can you use two different weapons during an assault? I don't recall seeing an official rule on this anywhere but, if the unit has multiple, applicable weapons, it seems most logical that they're there to be used.

I'm about to play my first game in over 20 year this weekend, and my Salamanders will be facing Biel Tan, with a Phantom or possibly Warlock expected to be deployed against me. Looking at the Warlock stats scared the crap out of me, to be honest. Back in the SM2 days, I could never, ever get through those holofields, and I can see it wreaking bloody havok.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Multiple Assault Weapons
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Sable Wyvern wrote:
My understanding is this gives the following options:

* 6 attacks that can be any mix of FF and CC.
* An additional 2 FF attacks using the Psychic Lance
* An additional 3 FF or 2 CC attacks using the Power Fist.

That's 10 or 11 attacks in total (half of which can be TK(D3)) which seems pretty absurd but, on the other hand, it is a titan build for close combat. After pondering for a while, this does seem like the most logical, straightforward reading of the rules.

Yes. They're freaking terrifying.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:07 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

The thing with war engines is that you have to allocate all of the attacks before you start rolling to hit.

So in your case if you engage the Warlock and only get 3 stands in base to base contact and have 5 in fire fight then your opponent would likely only put one or two basic attacks onto the stands in base contact and the rest at the stands in fire fight.

You should note that war engine hits do not swop between CC & FF unlike other units.

Yes, you can use as many extra attacks as the unit stats show. The point to note here is if a unit has multiple weapons that are just noted as small arms or close combat, if they do not have extra attacks they are already in the basic unit stats and do not give more attacks.

Hope this helps.

NetEA Ork + Feral Ork + Speed Freak Champion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

A Phantom isn’t too bad but the Warlock is nasty to face, especially in the hands of a skilled opponent using tactics to get it involved in multiple assaults in a turn (one it’s own assault and then one or more other assaults before and/or after where it attacks with supporting firefight to another Eldar formation’s assault).

It’s holofields have a good chance of protecting it most of the time and it can be easier to break it than kill it as it only has DC6 (unless you get lucky with failed holofields saves and a critical). Also take multiple units of Scouts and/or Landspeeders and use them as sacrificial screens to screen your more valuable units. You’ll have one higher initiative so have a slightly higher chance to win the activation roll on the second turn and do something to it before it can attack.

You can also use crossfire to your advantage sometimes to get a -1 to both the Warlock’s saves (including the holofield save) – so rather than a 3+ / 5+ it you can crossfire it then it drops to a 4+ / 6+. Plus an extra blast marker on it if you crossfire and do damage.

Also remember that 4 out of the 5 victory conditions in the Epic Armageddon tournament scenario are to do with objectives and only one is for killing (the most expensive enemy formation). If the Eldar player has spent a whopping 850 on a single activation they will have less other activations. Sometimes vs titans it can be better to attack the other little stuff instead, to try and kill off as many activations as possible so the titan player struggles with many less than the opponent. Even if the Warlock kills most of your army, if you manage to kills off most of the smaller Eldar stuff you can spread out and capture objectives late game to maybe still get a win.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:30 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

GlynG wrote:
Also remember that 4 out of the 5 victory conditions in the Epic Armageddon tournament scenario are to do with objectives and only one is for killing (the most expensive enemy formation). If the Eldar player has spent a whopping 850 on a single activation they will have less other activations. Sometimes vs titans it can be better to attack the other little stuff instead, to try and kill off as many activations as possible so the titan player struggles with many less than the opponent. Even if the Warlock kills most of your army, if you manage to kills off most of the smaller Eldar stuff you can spread out and capture objectives late game to maybe still get a win.

Yeah, that's a point I try to keep reminding myself. Stuff only seems to be expensive when I'm the one paying for it, but it's worth keeping in mind that by fielding a Warlock there's a lot of other stuff not on the field that could have been. 8)