Login |  Register |  FAQ

4K: AMTL vs Skitarri

Post subject: 4K: AMTL vs Skitarri
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:36 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Another report here, AMTL for you Greg ;)
https://hordesofthings.blogspot.com/201 ... ri-21.html

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: 4K: AMTL vs Skitarri
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:33 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for the report Markconz and it was much appreciated, that ATML was used… I loooove your titan force, just for the colour: white….and it’s been pull off nicely… :D ;D ;)

As to the list, I like want I see and only change, I would make is one less Warhound and add a Thunderbolt Squadron and points left over spent on upgrades mainly Veteran Princeps(this is mainly for leader)…. This just want I would have used, not saying it would have went any better.. I know Trent would have built something totally different… :)

As to Andrews list it was nice to see Ordinatus Minorus using the Assault Pod. Plus the Ordinatus Majoris using the Sonic Disrupter…I found the Ordinatus Majoris using the Sonic Disrupter to be fun to use and some times a pain, if they didn’t die quickly from focus fire or begin assaulted by stuff…. Armageddon version, I haven’t used yet….so once the Death Watch testing is done will need to use it few times and see…

Not against change, so long as it done fairly and no one is left behind....

I'm human and not a !@#$%^# Robot..

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:59 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Thanks Greg, yes I thought the Titan composition didn't look so bad on paper, but poor handling of battle titans with scout titan weapons gave a rather underwhelming result :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:36 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Thanks for the report! It's cool seeing you try out some of the combinations for Skitarii that are rarely taken. Did you run the Avengers with the extra Lascannons? I didn't see them or the crusaders show up at all in your report.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:29 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Yes extra lascannons on the Avengers, and they helped out a bit. The Crusader robots ran straight forward in an extended line to pin my movement quite effectively, despite me making disparaging remarks about them. LV with 6+ save seems terrible on paper, but you still have to shoot them to get rid of them.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Vaaish wrote:
It's cool seeing you try out some of the combinations for Skitarii that are rarely taken. Did you run the Avengers with the extra Lascannons? I didn't see them or the crusaders show up at all in your report.

Feedback and Tactical Hints:

Avengers. Ran them with the extra Lascannons. No AA with the Titan force so freedom of the air. Did not fail an activation. Did not do all that much damage. Little bit of tactical BM placing, Shield Stripping, and odd Damage point. Seemed worth it as a longer range AA intercepter and out of LOF chaser of broken formations (although not fearless titan ones!).

Crusaders. Were in the list to ZoC away teleporting (Terminator-like) and planet-falling irritations. They were used as a late turn one rush to ensure almost all broken titans were within 30 cm of the enemy and to ZoC a couple. Kept being tempted to use them to assault in Turn Two but stuck to ZoC, irritating scout screen, not all in LoF for enemy, hard to shoot out, too cheap to assault, . . . . The Titan('s commander) found them delightfully irritating. They did not activate in Turn Three (we called it early) but they were still ready to go grab/contest objectives.

Ordinatus Majoris with Sonic Cannon proved very effective BM delivery mechanisms. Finding LOF was a challenge and getting some use out of them would very much depend on terrain density and placement. There were just enough sight-lines, at some interesting angles, to allow them to be effective.

Ordinatus Majoris with Armageddon cannon commander was delighted that a Warlord Titan came into line of fire. And then we won inititative on Turn Two and took it down. Never was anywhere near finding another target after that. Also was getting challenged by being out-flanked and hence not able to employ overwatch either.

Ordinatus Minorus Assault Pod. A dilemma: stay in to avoid artillery, or, get out to avoid direct fire death. Not really a titan assault formation - never really got close enough to contemplate it. Oh, right, when I was close enough they threw double 1s so clearly did not want to either. Double with only 4 x MW5+ at a titan in cover is never going to scratch then enemy either. They did allow me to keep the pressure on hide-at-the-back/broken titans.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:52 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for your Feedback and Tactical Hints Andrew much appreciated..

;D

Not against change, so long as it done fairly and no one is left behind....

I'm human and not a !@#$%^# Robot..

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:45 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Thanks for the feedback! Always good to hear thoughts on the units.

Quote:
Seemed worth it as a longer range AA intercepter and out of LOF chaser of broken formations (although not fearless titan ones!).

That feels like an appropriate role for them. glad the extra bump helped them.

Quote:
Crusaders... hard to shoot out, too cheap to assault, . . . . The Titan('s commander) found them delightfully irritating.

Yeah, I find they always perform better than you think they would. Automaton makes them just a smidge harder to shift than you'd like with shooting and their loadout usually makes you think twice about messing with them in combat. They're cheap enough you can run them in to delay without worrying if they survive. I like running them with colossus to gain some AA and FF support.

Quote:
Ordinatus Majoris … Finding LOF was a challenge and getting some use out of them would very much depend on terrain density and placement.
Ordinatus Majoris with Armageddon cannon commander was delighted that a Warlord Titan came into line of fire.

I'd be delighted if a warlord walked into that too! It's actually one of the big problems I've found with the mars and armageddon. If you can get LOF they are great, but it's so situational that some games they don't do anything and move so slowly it's hard to get them into position before the game ends.

Quote:
Ordinatus Minorus Assault Pod.

Generally I use corvus as positioning units. For example, double a sagitarii formation into a good position, like a building, and leave them the rest of the game. Usually the Minorus gets taken out but not until I've gotten where I need to be.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Vaaish wrote:
It's actually one of the big problems I've found with the mars and armageddon. If you can get LOF they are great, but it's so situational that some games they don't do anything and move so slowly it's hard to get them into position before the game ends.
At least when the enemy hides they are providing some area denial. Place take and hold objectives, and the blitz to an extent, so that is a useful tactic. Also somewhat useful for defend the flag type operations? Ultra slow and needing line of fire was why we were happy with the lower points costs compared with the indirect fire blast template combos.

Vaaish wrote:
Generally I use corvus as positioning units. For example, double a sagitarii formation into a good position, like a building, and leave them the rest of the game. Usually the Minorus gets taken out but not until I've gotten where I need to be.
Our terrain placement/density often allows that for bare infantry formations, either garrisoned off a forward objective or within a double move stretched off the blitz. Spend the points elsewhere. True, one or two more mobile formations give a touch more flexibility. Anyone trialed a more assault oriented Corvus heavy force?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:41 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I don't think anyone has made extensive use of them like that.