Login |  Register |  FAQ

New AT at old scale?

Post subject: Re: New AT at old scale?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

@ Mortimer … Note the original titans as in this pic were not 6mm aka 1/300 … they were 1/500 …

So in reality the new AT18 8mm Titans are much, much closer to scale with the existing 6mm aka 1/300 scale Epic models ...

Also there is AT which is the original titan game from '89 which is again 1/500 scale titans for the 6mm : 1/300 scale SM, SM2-TL, E40K and Epic:A models & games. AT18 is the new 8mm titan vs. titan game ...

Attachments:
8mm vs 1-500 .jpg
8mm vs 1-500 .jpg [ 74.53 KiB | Viewed 4067 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:32 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

jimmyzimms wrote:
I think that's probably less the game and GW itself vs the tendency of players to use parking lots irrespective of the game. I mean look at 40k games or people playing WM/H.

Yeah, but if you want to build houses large enough to completly hide a Warlord and use the new GW kits (which most people do what i've seen on pictures) it's gonna cost you alooooot of money.

I'm just cheap and want to use my existing collection though... :P

"You have a right to be offended" - Steve Hughes
"Your feelings are hurting my thoughts" - Aron Flam

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:35 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

mordoten wrote:
jimmyzimms wrote:
I think that's probably less the game and GW itself vs the tendency of players to use parking lots irrespective of the game. I mean look at 40k games or people playing WM/H.

Yeah, but if you want to build houses large enough to completly hide a Warlord and use the new GW kits (which most people do what i've seen on pictures) it's gonna cost you alooooot of money.

I suppose an easy fix would be to only use ‘quasi-true’ line of sight, by declaring some buildings tall enough to block it regardless of their real size?

I imagine one of the benefits of designing large, bipedal fighting robots is that they’re taller than a lot of things, so at least it’s not an entirely unreasonable thing! Also, smaller things can still hide behind little buildings, so there’re some mitigating tactics, I suppose.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

You can stack the older shorter buildings too … :-\

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

mordoten wrote:
jimmyzimms wrote:

Perhaps. OTOH it's probably just the fact that so many people bought Grandmaster editions with all that scenery included (8 or 10 sprues IIRC) so want to use it up. But yes if you can't get yourself out of the GW bubble then you're going to spend LOADS.

mordoten wrote:

Nothing wrong with that! ;D

Thinking Stone wrote:
I imagine one of the benefits of designing large, bipedal fighting robots is that they’re taller than a lot of things, so at least it’s not an entirely unreasonable thing! Also, smaller things can still hide behind little buildings, so there’re some mitigating tactics, I suppose.

True there's many size of stompy robots going on in the game. However titans ain't really all that big in 'real life'. I mean a reaver's like 6 or 7 stories. Most urban centers have buildings far far in excess all around. Take that 37 millennia in the future to those crazy hive stacks and we're talking even more so. I'd think having a mixture of heights is probably a good thing on the table. Small stuff with knights running around. Roads and plazas to control. A few giant things that even the biggest titan can use for cover.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:06 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thankfully there are quite a few 10mm terrain manufacturers out there (that cater to Dropzone Commander) that are reasonable, and more companies are starting to do 8mm designs due to the popularity of the game.