Login |  Register |  FAQ

Robotech RPG Tactics

Post subject: Robotech RPG Tactics
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Anyone get this yet? I think only those who contributed via Kickstarter are getting games right now, but was wondering if anyone here did. While I hate 'Robotech', I have to admit that I settled for it at a time when I lived overseas and didnt understand the Chinese dubbing in Hong Kong, nor could read the Japanese literature, so it was sort of my best option for understanding the basic plot. But sitting down to watch any of it today, makes me cringe. I even played the Robotech RPG for some time too.

But I loved Macross. Still think that the technical designs of that series blow away anything before or since. Especially the debt of it. I dont know if any of you have ever seen the Macross Perfect Memory book, but its amazing. All the detail that went into the designs of everything from a Valkyrie cockpit to a coffee cup. Its all there.

So despite my hate for the Harmony Gold version, Its about as close as I'll ever get to blowing up battle pods on a game board. The problem is, after watching a tutorial on youtube, there was very little sweeping movements. It was pretty much my guys versus your guys with maybe some shifting from left to right or right to left. And the scale which these models are, I thought it was pretty dumb to even have a Fighter mode on the board. But it was a smaller space they were playing on, but still not sure how annoyed I would be if I got it.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Robotech RPG Tactics
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I am a backer of the kickstarter but haven't received it yet :(

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah I want to see it myself be for buying. And yes, Perfect Memory is one of the greatest art books ever made

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Also still waiting patiently.

When they arrive, I think I'll dream up some E:A stats for them...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:26 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It has been an absolute train wreck of a kickstarter, piss-poor management, incompetent handling....and I'm still waiting for my stuff to be delivered. I'm so disappointed that I'm courting the idea of selling everything when I get it. At the rate that PB is going, the last of our stuff won't be delivered until this time next year.

But I love Robotech/Macross so much...so I'm very torn right now.

Tau Empire, Mymeara Eldar, Tallarn Desert Raiders

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I am curious about the model themselves. I actually collect the old 1/200 Nichimo Macross Pitaban kits from way back in the day. The old ones with actual decals versus the later release 2 packs with stickers. I have just about all of them, and in some cases multiples. I love model kits of that size, as I don't have a lot of time, I need things to be smaller to have any hope of completing them. So 1/144 Dougram, 1/144 Orgus, 1/100 Mospeada, the smaller Crusher Joe kits, all favorites of mine. There was a time I could buy these at the check out counter at the grocery store years ago for like $1, and now paying around $20 depending on the rarity. Anyway, those set the standard for me, and unfortunately, they didnt make all the Macross ones as planned, like the Phalanx, power armors, etc. I found someone did a Gnerl around that scale on Shapeways, and was estatic to buy two, even though they werent perfect. Since the kickstater went so well, and they were making models for everything under the sun, I was hoping to get the Zentradi infantry and Gnerls. I just hope the quality is good.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Correct me if I'm wrong here but from what I've gathered the product is getting good reviews but the KS being run in the typical Palladium Books style aka Complete Cockup. They're already talking about starting phase 2 as soon as they ship the KS packages but i don't know what that that entails.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It's hard to get a straight answer from PB. They truly do suck at what they do. However, I do remember people complaining that they are gearing up for another KS to deal with the later generations of Robotech--before most of their 1st shipping and all of their following shipments are even delivered to the backers! Yeah, typical Palldium Books Complete Cockup at usual.

They tried to sell the game at Gencon before any backers received their copies. That caused a gigantic backlash. They ended up not selling any, because the (their claim) shipment full of stuff was still stuck in China. Sigh.

@KTG17: the models, from what I have seen of the pictures, are all on multi-part sprues similar to a scale model kit. Note that this is supposed to be 6mm-ish scale, so the tiny fiddly parts are going to be a complete pain in the ass to assemble and paint in any acceptable length of time. They had pretty damned good metal models at their demo tables, but decided that would be too good for their customers, so went with cheap plastic on sprues. With the claim that this is what the backers wanted, it's better that way. BS.

I demoed the game back in 2013 at Gencon. It was good enough, I enjoyed it, it seemed like it will play much better at smaller battles however. It's got a bit of the old and tired and dilapidated RPG mechanics to it if I recall correctly, but it works. Now to just get the effing thing and assembling the models---that's another problem all together.

Note that this isn't the only fubared KS I am part of. MYTH (by MERCS) is doing their best to screw things up with their second shipments of goods. Rivet Wars is another disaster, but I received my tracking number and should get the rest of my stuff today sometime. Fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah I just want the models. It'd be even better if the designs where the Macross:DYRL ones but PB, via Harmony Gold, doesn't have rights to those designs which INSHO, were the best. For gameplay I was planing on either leveraging a modified form of Aero/Battletech OR just playing around with another port of Exodus Wars rules which the more I play, the more I like.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:32 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

If you modify a battletech system, try the Alpha Strike rules. They seem to have leveraged some support among my classic BT playing friends.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah that came after my time (seriously I'm old :) ) but I'm hearing a bunch of good scuttlebutt about those rules so I think that's the winner. Is there a good accounting of what designs they actually DID make?

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Again, I'd jump all over Battletech or, more preferably, Alpha Strike (BT's 30 year old rules don't interest me anymore) or some other well-made system only if I can get minis based on the mechs from MechWarrior Online.

The Robotech minis won't be compatible with other BT minis, for the most part.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:42 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hey, anyone get into this and received their stuff yet? I need to make a trade, if anyone is interested. I have a Gencon Miriya still in blister...I need some Tomahawks and Spartans. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ok normally I really frown on thread necromancy but 1. it's the only appropriate thread for this here and 2., Palladium is honestly not worth the bits it takes for an additional thread on the system ;D

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rr ... ts/2120399
Quote:
So it is with sadness and tremendous heartbreak that I announce that, despite our best efforts, we are unable to produce the Robotech® RPG Tactics Wave Two rewards. Moreover, after proudly carrying the legacy of Robotech® in the role-playing games medium for 30 years, our license has expired and is not being renewed.

So absolutely a non-shocker but we've all been waiting for this proverbial shoe to drop. It was 100% apparent that they mismanaged the project once they ditched ND and then spent the KS funds on over purchasing the core box set by perhaps 3x the need (sales would then be use to fund Wave #2 therefore... PROFIT)

If you're into a bit of interesting schadenfreude (directed at Kevin 'dickhole' Siembieda, not the backers) starting from here is a good place to get summaries and community actions.

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/p ... ge#9855244

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:05 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Incidentally, my predictions* are that they show up to Adepticon [they're confirmed attendees] with oodles of the stock in tow and are going to have one helluva fire sale there. Anything NOT sold I suspect wouldn't even be schlepped back to PB since in another week thereafter it's needing to be destroyed, at a not cheap cost considering how much stock they have in tthat warehouse pic from last Sept, due to not having the license. This means that it could be pretty damn fun to walk up to a booth and when they say, "45$ for this box" counter offer, "Nice but how about a $1?" ;D They'd probably be hard pressed to say no. Hell...it might be a FINE project to pay attention to their movements and perform some dumpster diving there and even at HQ just for a lark! I almost want to have someone going perform that one on my behalf!! :D

* provided they even have gas $ to make it there. This is probably it for PB and I suspect in a few months we'll see them shutter up so there's a possibility they're nowhere to found after the Crisis of Robotreachery from the backers!

edit: as dirty as PB is, I spent a helluva lot of my youth enjoying their first run of Robotech RPG books. As I understand it they've got PDFs of all them available again (through the month ostensibly) on DriveThrough RPG or whatever the site is. Part of me wants to have them just for nostalgia but I'd never be able to look myself in the mirror again if I gave that huckster a dime.
Cheap PDFs! [morally torn]
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... botech-RPG

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list