Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

DOMINION

Post subject: Re: DOMINION
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:14 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

ForgottenLore wrote:
I agree with Doomkitten that reducing the chance of loosing an entire round would be good. While it may not happen often, it will happen occasionally and when it does it would likely be a total game ending event, not to mention a massive, table flipping annoyance to whoever it happens to. Not making your players angry at your rules is a good thing.

I can say it's not been a game-ender for my playtest games to date.

Sometimes it's let me regenerate a few extra shields on my Stalkers (coming in the first major update of the rules), that's about it.

But I do like the idea of having 1 black dice per 100pts of army size in there, and only ending the turn when all the black dice have been drawn. This would be calculated anew each turn, so as army size drops, less black dice would be in the bag.

Doing something with the black dice system is on the table for a later update, anyway.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:17 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi RichardL

1. If you have a century of say 3 infantry stands with a single challenger. You shoot at an enemy century, who's forward unit just within 30cm, and there are further 2 units say at 50cm. Does the challenger 'extend' the number of units that can be hit in this case, allowing the infantry to effectively hit all 3, despite only being in range of 1, or do you have to split the dice at that point? - The range of the infantry is not increased and the dice need to be rolled separately.

2. As above, but now with say a scorpion unit rather than a challenger, as the scorpion would have a different dice pool given it has a special attack. Would that make a difference? - It is the same the range of the infantry is not increased and the dice need to be rolled separately.

3. Thinking of hit allocation, the front seems to be measured from the attackers closest unit. Does this mean you could for instance potentially drive a mech infantry around the side (strung out even with another to keep coherancy) or even the back so that the 'front' changes, despite the majority of the century shooting is originating from another side? - Yes, sneaky play is allowed

4. In addition to this, let's assume some of the units being shot at are behind cover, if that plucky mech inf can now see some of them, does that mean they can be hit by all the century's fire, despite only one stand being able to see any of them? (effectively giving the core century bendy shots) - No, line of sight is required unless you are using the artillery special rule.

5. On the issue of cover, if you're silly enough to be under 50% in cover, would this mean you can be seen and get no cover bonus, even if someone was shooting from the other side of the terrain piece? - you would recieve no cover bonus. If shot at from the other side you would count as being behind the terrain and out of LoS.

6. Just to check on the rules for regroup and take cover, do you roll for each stand within a century separately, or just all at once and remove damage however you like? i.e. if there are 12 damage broken down over say a challenger (with 4 on), and two infantry companies (with 4 on each), and i rolled to regroup and got really lucky and rolled 6, could i then take off all the damage from the challenger and one from each of the infantry companies so that they weren't removed as casualties, or are there any specifics, such as one off each of them, then one off each of them again etc? I guess the bigger one with this is that if you had a stand with loads on and some more peppered a bit, could you use all those dice being rolled to use successes on the peppered unit and leave the one that's definitely dead to go down and take all those excess counters with them? - You roll for the whole century and get to cherry pick where you recover the damage. So your example is correct.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:40 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

RichardL wrote:
A couple of other things on shooting come to mind:

1. If you have a century of say 3 infantry stands with a single challenger. You shoot at an enemy century, who's forward unit just within 30cm, and there are further 2 units say at 50cm. Does the challenger 'extend' the number of units that can be hit in this case, allowing the infantry to effectively hit all 3, despite only being in range of 1, or do you have to split the dice at that point?

2. As above, but now with say a scorpion unit rather than a challenger, as the scorpion would have a different dice pool given it has a special attack. Would that make a difference?

3. Thinking of hit allocation, the front seems to be measured from the attackers closest unit. Does this mean you could for instance potentially drive a mech infantry around the side (strung out even with another to keep coherancy) or even the back so that the 'front' changes, despite the majority of the century shooting is originating from another side?

4. In addition to this, let's assume some of the units being shot at are behind cover, if that plucky mech inf can now see some of them, does that mean they can be hit by all the century's fire, despite only one stand being able to see any of them? (effectively giving the core century bendy shots)

5. On the issue of cover, if you're silly enough to be under 50% in cover, would this mean you can be seen and get no cover bonus, even if someone was shooting from the other side of the terrain piece?

6. Just to check on the rules for regroup and take cover, do you roll for each stand within a century separately, or just all at once and remove damage however you like? i.e. if there are 12 damage broken down over say a challenger (with 4 on), and two infantry companies (with 4 on each), and i rolled to regroup and got really lucky and rolled 6, could i then take off all the damage from the challenger and one from each of the infantry companies so that they weren't removed as casualties, or are there any specifics, such as one off each of them, then one off each of them again etc? I guess the bigger one with this is that if you had a stand with loads on and some more peppered a bit, could you use all those dice being rolled to use successes on the peppered unit and leave the one that's definitely dead to go down and take all those excess counters with them?

1. The range of the infantry is not increased and the dice need to be rolled separately.

2. It is the same the range of the infantry is not increased and the dice need to be rolled separately.

3. Yes, sneaky play is allowed

4. No, line of sight is required unless you are using the artillery special rule.

5. No as you would count as being behind the terrain.

6. You roll for the whole century and get to cherry pick where you recover the damage. So your example is correct.

NetEA Ork + Feral Ork + Speed Freak Champion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Double tap for you Richard :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Nice, thanks :)

So on the 'range extending' issue, if a unit with a longer range is rolled separately, how is the issue of distance within similar troops handled? Given the unit coherency is pretty generous, a century could be fairly spread out, so even with say 3 stands of infantry, one could potentially be in range of 3 enemy stands, one in range of 2, and one in range of 1. Does that mean each stand at that point would be rolled separately, or as they are the same type with the same range, would they all be rolled together? This is i suppose especially pertinent in the sneaky 'side shot' scenario.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi Richard,
In this case, with three infantry stand being within range of three enemy units they would all contribute attacks. These would be allocated nearest to furthest with any units out of range unable to be allocated a hit. If there is an excess you would go back to the starting model and reallocate the remaining rules.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

For those who are interested the Dominion game now has a facebook groups page, follow the link below.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/164993600752337/

Link, http://vanguardminiatures.co.uk/

Stockist of:

Vanguard Miniatures
BattleGroup Helios
Onslaught Miniatures
Pyrkol Gaming Markers
Gregster's Lab
Microworld Games
Troublemaker Games

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:54 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Oh, a quick question on transports - while it states that a unit dismounts in base contact with the transport stand, it doesn't mention proximity for being picked up. Could you confirm whether this is the same for picking up?

Oh, and does a transport need to be in the same century to transport another stand? (i'm assuming so)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:16 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi buddy,

They can embark if they are within 10cm of a transport.

currently the transport needs to be from the same century

cheers

Craig

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:33 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Oh, and can they embark / disembark as part of an assault move?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:50 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

RichardL wrote:

Oh, and can they embark / disembark as part of an assault move?

Yes.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

one or the other mate and at the beginning or end of the move.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:34 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

When you say one or the other, is that to say you can't do both? And also, does that mean troops can remain embarked on a transport? (and if so, what happens when the transport dies while they're still aboard?)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:22 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Sorry I'm getting confused with another set I'm writing :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:07 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quick question on using the Maulers. The transport rules say they can transport infantry units same base size or smaller. So they can carry both the Elite Affray infantry and Elite Affray Mechanised maniples. So the Maulers will have to be in the same Century. I know this is more costly in points but adds additional firepower and protection against AP attacks.

For the Gamers

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next