Login |  Register |  FAQ

Netepic Background?

Post subject: Netepic Background?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 7:39 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

For those of us who do not know, how is the background in Netepic different from Epic 40k?

Different era? Different history?

dafrca

Come fight me, if you dare...... http://dd-janks.mybrute.com

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 10:21 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Actually, I'd be very interested in this.

I dont really know anything about netepic.  The first version of epic I got into was the epic40K (so I know nothing of the "this version sucks, blah,blah was a much better version).

I would be interested in the background, but also any other details of the game.  How it differs to what I know (just epic40K and EpicA)  I heard it was more complex, so I'd like to know how its more involved etc too.

A basic description is probably best at first  :;):

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 2:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The background in NetEPIC is slightly different to the mainstream 40k background, featuring several new races:

We have the Slann, who are our progenitor race, the undead, necrons, etc.

Basically it is VERY simular apart from where it all began where we have gone into more detail about the Emperors early life, the creation of the Orks and the gods, and the introduction of the Slann and Necrons.

You can read it at http://www.netepic.org/EZINE/html/netepic_timeline.htm

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/thenewtonwebb
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/thenewtonwebb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 3:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Let me know what you think :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 1:18 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

"netepic" notified me of the question and since I have played all the versions of epic (including the EpicA play test rules) I give you a concise run down:

Net epic
These rules are based on the second edition rules known as Space Marine and its add on Titan Legions. While there are many simularities between the two, there are also many difference. I will concentrate on net epic alone, but keep in mind it shares the same basic mechanics with SM/TL, most of the changes are in the details.

Overview
At its core, the basic mechanics are quite simple. You place one of three orders: first fire, advance and charge. These limit the actions of your forces so some forethought is needed when placing them. First fire orders permits you to fire first in the firing phase, but at the expense of movement, advance permits some movement but you fire LAST. Charge permits double movement, the ability to engage in close combat, but no firing.

Combat is done by rolling the attack dice according to how many each unit has, rolling a to hit number and determining hits. Weapons have a save modifer that will affect the target units saving throw.

Close combat is very simple each combatant rolls 2d6 and adds its close assault factor (CAF for short), the loser dies and is removed, no save, its very deadly and direct. Extra combatants against the same stand give the player who outnumbers an extra D6, therefore you can gang up on stronger opponents with weaker ones and have a chance to defeat it (albeit with heavy casualties).

Simply put that is the core system, so where do the comments regarding the systems complexity come from?

Simple, the detail.

Net epic/SM/TL has loads of special rules and chrome for individual units.Mastering the core rules is simple, the interaction of all the detail with the core rules takes longer to master if ever.

Example: Titans use a different hit/location resolution, they use templates where you see the hit scatter and affect SPECIFIC parts of the titan, alll with different results when damaged (will the titans head get blown off and it will fall on the nearby building or will the reactor meltdown and kill everyone in sight?). You also arm titans, selecting and perchasing weapons for your titan, basically you arm them according to the necessity of the game and the costs for more effective weapons is greater than less effective ones.

Titans also interact differently with infantry since their mighty defenses make it impossible for them to gain close combat bonuses by ganging up.

Army construction
In net epic you use army cards which give you a "preset" battlegroup (or detachment which is the term used in net epic). The formations come in company size, support and special cards. The algorithm for construction is simple. For every one company card you can add 5 support cards and one special card.

THose are the basics, keep in mind there is a LOT more o go into, but since I want to make a simple comparison between the three, lets keep it simple. Feel free to ask more in depth questions.

Epic40k
This was a brand new system, with little in common to its predecesor SM/TL

Overview
Unit stats are more streamlined listing speed, range, firepower, assault and armor.

The turn sequence is similar to SM/TL in which there is a movement, shooting and assualt phase and instead of a end phase like net epic, it has a rally phase. Players move according to initiative which depends on the army (SM has a higher strategy rating, then say IG). Instead of a standard move you can issue a special order which are: Overwatch (you cant move but you fire at units that move within 5cm of you and you re-roll misses), assault (you move faster, but your firepower values are reduced), March (you move very fast but you assault AND firepower values are halved).

Shooting is very different from SM/TL, in epic 40k each unit does not fire individually but contributes a firepower value to the whole unit that fires. You add all the firepower from the unit and cross reference a table to find out how many dice youget to roll. Firepower can be modified by various factor such as cover and open terrain. Once the amount of dice are determined you roll them against a target detachment and compare your rolls with the units armor stat. IF you roll higher than the target's armor it is removed. Their not a save per se, but their are "skills" that may provide one (more on that later).

Blast markers- Epic 40k introduces a for of suppression that reflects reduced unit effectiveness under fire. The more you get fired at (firepower), the more blast markers you get. Get enough blast markers and the unit effectiveness is seriously compromised.

Close combat is also a lot different than SM/TL, like shooting individual units and circumstances add to a global assault total plus a die roll. The higher roll wins the combat. Blast markers are inflicted in close combat. The wider the number you win by the easier it is to inflict casualties. Unlike net epic where one roll resolves close combat between two particular units, in epic 40k you need to consult a table to determine the close combat difference (how much you win the roll by). This table tells you the number you need to roll to eliminate units in close combat. Roll for each unit involved.

Skills, there are no real special rules in epic 40k, there are a handful of skills that give an extra edge to units, like marines being stubborn and re-reolling failed morale checks or heros that actually get a saving throw.

War machines, these are titans and other big units, they have a damage capacity which works like hit points, when they reach zero it is destroyed, they have some tables for damage, but not as elaborate as net epic. The war engines have few special rules and obey much thesame rules as other units (blast markers ect).

Army construction
The construction is more free-form, with fewer restrictions than net epic. You make up your own deathcmnts within the guidlines for that list. Less regimentation.

As above this is very basic, keep in mind there is more to this game than that mentioned.

Epic A
It combines concepts from both games and is currently being tested.

Overview
Unit stats are similar (in name) to epic 40k ones, but they actually have a to hit value (like net epic) and not a additive firepower value (like epic 40k). Weapon stats have returned similar to net epic as well. UNits have a close combat stat and a firefight stat which is used in close combat for units not in base to base contact (those that are use the close combat stat). For long range combat you use the weapon stats provided for that unit. Also fire has been divided into AT for anti-tank and AP for anti-personel fire.

The turn sequence is more in keeping with modern game design and offers a "unified" turn sequence where you move that unit and fire in the same activation. If you played warzone or void the mechanic is similar. This does away with the phases of the previous two games. As actions you can move, double move, march (triple moves), overwatch, charge, hold and several special actions. You complete you actions then pass play to the other player unless...

Initiative. They use the warmaster mechanic where you can retain the initiative by rolling a D6 versus a target number which depends on the army (SM retain easier than say Orks). The more you try to retain initiative the harder it gets, other factors like blast marker impact on this ability.

Blast marker, just like epic 40k, with some differences, blast marker reduce  effectiveness by "freezing" (pinned down) a unit per blast marker to simulate the the shock of firepower in combat.

Firing and saving throws are similar to the SM/net epic mechanic with the difference that you have the difference of AT and AP shots.

Close combat is a meld between the two different systems, but IMO, still looks more like the epic 40k mechanic than the SM/net epic one. Blast market are placed too and fire fights occur with models not in base to base contact.

Again, very bare bones overview of the basics, there is a lot more in this game too.

Comparison
The different systems appeal to different tastes:

1. If you like lots of detail, chrome and easy army construction method, SM/ netepic probably for you.

2. If you like a streamlined version with more abstraction of certain mechanics at the expense of detail, but more manuever and quicker resolution, then epic 40k is probably for you.

3. Epic A, is in between the two. In my view it leans more towards number two, but thats my opinion. Playtest it and decide where on the spectrum it falls.

As for fluff background, net epic changed a few things, for example, Necron are a "slave" race to the Slann to battle the tyranids and squats of course still exsist and have new units.

I'm more than happy to answer any more in depth questions.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 5:24 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (netepic @ 18 2003 Feb.,14:04)
Let me know what you think :)

Ok, I have gone and read it. Just curious how much of that time line is from "official fluff" and how much did you create? Seems like a lot of room for creating whole campaigns in there.

Thanks for sharing, it was a great read and I did enjoy it.

dafrca

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 5:27 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

primarch,

That was an interesting post. Thank you for your overview. However, I thought that this was about the background as in fluff. Sorry, I misunderstood.

dafrca

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 10:36 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thats my fault Dafrca, I asked for details on the game too, since I only really know about Epic40K and EpicA.

Thanks Primarch, that was helpful.  You put the descriptions well, and about the length I like  :;):

I dont particularly have a favourite system, so am in an easy position to choose which I think is better (personal taste obviously).  Unfortunantly to find this out I'll need to play each system a few times.  At the moment I dont know of any epic players.  I know some people who have the minis, but I dont know which version they used to play (and I dont think any are interested either).

Does netepic not use any blast markers then?  I must admit I liked the effect (both visually and on gameplay) these had.

Also, does it include rules for vehicles introduced after SM?

One of my reasons for liking Epic40K was the choice you had in your formations.  I liked being able to choose 4 Falcons with aspect warriors in backed up by 2 waveserpents with wraithguard etc.

The formation system of both EpicA and netepic (though I dont really know yet what its like for this system) I'm not as keen on, but am willing to try it, as I maybe wrong.

The hit locations for Titans I like.  The idea of blowing off a leg, or its head toppling off appeals to me.  With large items like titans it should be a little more involved.  I really have to look at the details of your game as soon as I get chance.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 10:38 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Most of it is the official fluff, with just a few changes. The main reason it was created was because the Games Workshop fluff kept changing and contradicting it self.

We needed a static background that we could design our rules on, so a static timeline had to be created.

Of course we will need to update it with the latest fluff as long is isn't contradictory.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:07 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

I understood it was about fluff dafrca, but I wanted to give shadowhunter and others I get description of all systems. Mind you I left out first edition epic, but ATII as it appeared in epic magazine is a LOT like it.

The fluff net epic uses, its mostly like GW's althogh that may change as we seek to create our own stuff. The most original stuff was with the slann/necron/tyranids.

As it goes the slann are an ancient spacefacring race. They invented the webgates that connect most of this galaxy and beyond. They are not native to this galaxy. In their heyday they did many experiments in bio-genetics and it is rumored most of the sentient races exist due to the slann. But the race decline due to introspection. Having conquered many galaxies and have such high technology they sought answers inward, concentrating on the mind and psychic phenomenon. Slowly all the made and cared for whithered away and the slann themselves in some cases became very feral and backwards (so thats why exodite slann exsist). There delving into the secrets of the mind came to such a degree amny took long hibernations, lasting millenia.

It all might have stayed that way....until the tyrainds came.

The tyranids are the culmination of the slanns bio-experiments in genetics. They sought to create the perfect subservient race, aggressive, self sustaining and highly adaptive. The experiment worked...too well.

Their creations gained "consiousness" in the from of the hive mind and to the surprise and chargrin of other races psychic awareness. In the beginning, mainly due to slann indifference, they were ignored. Even though entire sytems were erradiacated. In due time however the first of the slann occupied planets was attacked and destroyed. Even then response and awareness to the seriousness of the threat was slow. Slann armies with their ultra-technology crushed tyranid swarms who had not yet encountered an able foe. For a while things were contained. But their creation proved worthy of their masters, they adapted, quickly...too quickly. While victory was still for the slann, it became obvious that this was a war of attrition. One  the slann, with their low birth rate could not endure. The tyranids using hibernation (yet another thing learned from the masters) had learned to span the expanses of intergalatic space. The home core system were under threat. Extinction at hands of the slann became a real possibility.

But the slann did not lay down and die. They did what no other race does better. They created new life. Realizing the dangers of biologic life, they went a new route, that of circuitry and artificial intelligence. Thus the Necron were born (note necron is a human term, no one knows what the slann call them, nor what necron call themselves). Untiring, logical, uncaring, unfeeling and totally commitent to the tasked program, they rolled off the assembly lines to not only stem the tide but reverse it. The tyranids are still baffled by this lifeform, its not biologic, therefore their usual assimilations process do not work. They seem to not have adapted to a foe who is as efficient, unfearing as they are. Only time will tell if they can adapt.

One unfortunate side affect of the slann/necron success is that the tyranids ar now spread to systems away from the slann controlled galaxies. That has led them to this system and to the empire of man.

The slann/necron have followed to recruit the "child" races. Of course such "recruitment" has been slow and frought with violence. Slann fights man as it fights the tyranids.

Thats a taste of the more elaborate net epic background that is not GW derived.

Comments?

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:19 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Shadowhunter, net epic does not have blast markers. This is a concept introduced in epic 40k and later. The suppression concept is highly abstracted in net epic/SM and attempts to put it in have not been successful. Basic mechanics dictate what you can put in and what you cant. That particular one doesn't mesh with net epic.

Net epic inlcudes rules for ALL models past, present, plus a long of made up stuff too. The current revision will also have a Tau and Kroot list as well as update units in keeping with newer 40k units. PArt of the lists function is to presicely do this, update and support net epic with new unit stats.

That also include forgeworld models.

Besides other issues, army creation is a definate difference between the versions. Net epic/SM is more regimented, more similar to modern day formation and less flexible. It also requires a greater investment of minis because some formations are very big. Epic 40k is more free style and has the great advantage to let you use the forces you have, plus mixed formations, so its very collector friendly as compared to net epic/SM. Of course the downside its easier to min/max (the famous all land raider army for example) and to create unrealisitc formations. As with everything its a trade off which is highly dependant on taste.

Yeah, hit locations rock, definately one thing I dont like about later versions is their treatment on titans. Of course this too is subjective and dependant on your view of titans. I started playing back in the AT days, titan only battles, for me they are kings of the battlefields and thus should have special treatment.

If you are more like "titans arelike any other unit" then later versions suit better.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:14 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I like the fluff for the slann/nids/necrons.

It wasn't gonna be hard for you to give me fluff on the necrons I wouldn't like though, since I cant stand the actual GW explanation.  Ruining everything I used to know and like.

The way the Slann are explained makes a link easier between the WFB world and 40K world too.

I like the sound of the fluff.  The Tyranids have always seemed like there was something more to them than evolving naturally.

Okay, so regarding your fluff, does any of the younger races understand/acknowledge who the Slann are and what they have done?  

Did the Eldar get permission to use the webway?  

Do the Slann still use the webway?  

If they do, does that mean there are gate ways to other galaxies, if you know where to look?

Are the Slann taking any active part in fighting the Nids/other races?  Or is it being left to the Necrons?

How are you going to get the C'tan to interact in your universe?  As I'm assuming there will be calls for rules for these abominations.

I think I'll leave the questions there for now.  :;):

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 1:21 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

I like the fluff for the slann/nids/necrons.

>>>Glad you liked it!

It wasn't gonna be hard for you to give me fluff on the necrons I wouldn't like though, since I cant stand the actual GW explanation.  Ruining everything I used to know and like.

The way the Slann are explained makes a link easier between the WFB world and 40K world too.

>>That was another point supposely there are many primitive slann societies, so this way, they are all one race, its only that some lost the way.

I like the sound of the fluff.  The Tyranids have always seemed like there was something more to them than evolving naturally.

>>Yes, I agree. For something so terrible GW's only explanation is that they "Come from beyond this galaxy" is pretty insufficent. I wondered if such an "efficient" race could evolve on its own, so when the original author suggested this link I thought it was a great idea.

Okay, so regarding your fluff, does any of the younger races understand/acknowledge who the Slann are and what they have done?  

>>Only the Eldar "acknowledge" the reality of the slanns relationship with the child races. In fact the eldar are the slann's favorite, they are the most similar to the slann in technology and philosophy. Only the eldar know the secret of the webgates, but only incompletely (they do not know how to make one). The relationship with humans is full of conflict. Man cannot or will not accept the truth that the slann may be their progenitor. The Emperor is silent on this and while battles gainst the slann happen, cooperation has happened at very critical moments. No doubt the will of the emperor.

Did the Eldar get permission to use the webway?  

>>>Yes and no. Yes, they do use webgates, but ancient and forgotten ones. The have no access to trans-galactic webgates.

Do the Slann still use the webway?  

>>Yes, although its extremely unstable in our galaxy, thus they are forced to use slower forms of travel or still intact webgates to the east of the galactic core (the area outside the astronomicon).

If they do, does that mean there are gate ways to other galaxies, if you know where to look?

>>>Yes, although most are in the eye of chaos, since as you may remember the eye is where the eldar crone worlds are. Most of those gates are sealed, but their are rumors of functional transgalatic webgates in the eye hidden even from chaos. Getting into the eye is another matter...

The other ones are on worlds outside the imperium in the east of the galactic core. If any such webgate were to be discovered a major war could break out!

Are the Slann taking any active part in fighting the Nids/other races?  Or is it being left to the Necrons?

>>>Yes, now that they have stemmed the tide elsewhere they are concentrating in our galaxy, so as not to let the tyranids get too strong again assimilating new DNA.

How are you going to get the C'tan to interact in your universe?  As I'm assuming there will be calls for rules for these abominations.

>>Recognize the name, but dont know what they are. I know we are doing Tau and kroot, but C'tan? Care to educate me? I dont play 40k or follow GW fluff beyond that of circa 1993.

I think I'll leave the questions there for now.  

>>Keep them coming.

Primarch.

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 10:05 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I posted this in thew general background forum, so cut and paste time  :;):

There's no longer any mention of creatures by the name of Slann.  There are mention of creatures called the 'Old Ones' which I have taken to be the same.  (even though the Slann of the WFB world refer to creatures called the Old Ones).

Now, it seems, these old ones were involved in a galactic battle against the C'tan.  The C'tan were 'Star entities' not really of physical bodies.  They drew power from stars (vampirism), and the Necrons worshipped them.  They created 'living metal bodies' for them to exist in the real sense.

Now alive in the sense we understand, the C'tan decided that living creatures were far tastier than energy.  And started eating the galaxy.  The Old ones battled against them, but were few in number (I think) so helped the lesser races to develop to help them in the war (most notably the Eldar and Krorks).  The C'tan retaliated by making the Necrons give up thier physical bodies, and be implanted into machines.  This wayu they could serve thier gods forever (immortality).  The C'tan made fersome creations that were destroying everything, and mortal creatures could not stand before them.  Again everything looked bad.

Then the Gods of the Eldar (Old Ones?) created Wraith constructs using the soles of the dead.  These stomped the Necron constructs into the ground, and started to win the war.  THe C'tan got really pissed now, and Nightbringer himself entered the fray.  He was a whirlwind of desetruction, slaying mortal and wraithconstruct alike.  Then Khaela mensha Khaine decided to step in.  He was instructed by the laughing god of the nightbringers defences, and used this information to destroy (but not kill) him.  Upon its destruction the C'tan poisoned Khaine with shards of his living metal, giving him the aspect of the reaper.  And making him generally moody.  His death wail also entered every Eldar sole, causing their fear of death (which until then they did not suffer from, since they were re-incarnated).

There's a bit of the latest fluff, to the best of my memory.

Notice how the emergance of the C'tan has contradicted a lot of the old fluff.  Now its not Slaanesh that is the reason for the Eldars fear of dying.  It doesn't stop here, but I dont want to continue off the top of my head, for fear of making mistakes.

It would appear the Slann are now known as the Old Ones.  That they created the 'lesser' races, to help in their war against the C'tan.  And that they are maybe even the Eldar Gods.  Whether they still exist or died out, I'm not sure of.

I may be slightly wrong in places, but I think its pretty accurate.  Someone else can fill in/ammend bits, if they want to.

With regards to more of what the C'tan are now about, there were quite a few of these as the Necrons 'trapped' more than the only 4 remaining now.  However, the Great Harlequin tricked one of them into eating his own, instead of feasting on other races.  He (the outsider) began eating all the C'tan, and the rest fled from him.  Eventually he was drove mad, as although he ate them, they lived on in his head.  He trapped himself in a Dyson sphere, where he sleeps it off (hangover ?)  I think he's about to wake, but the other C'tan are probably still a bit wary of him.

Then there is the Nightbringer.  (from above) he looks like the grim reaper, and is supposedly the reason every race fears death.  When he was destroyed by Khaine, his wail entered everyone, as a sort of curse.  He's now alive and kicking, and going around destroying things again.

(for stats in 40K they are WS5 S10 T8 W5 I4 A5.  they have an Inv. 4+ save, and ignore all saves even invulnerable ones.  For a comparison, the Avatar is WS10 S6 T6 W4 I5 A3  5+ Inv. so would get his ass kicked   :(    )

Then there is the deceiver, who isn't as strong as the nightbringer, but still much stronger than anything else.  He plays more on the mind.

Next there is (the very controversial) Dragon.  He supposedly is still asleep in his tomb on........Mars!  The techpriests of the highest order know of him (they might not know what he is though) and worship him as the machine God!!!  The lower techpriests dont know this, and neither do the rest of the humans!  A small fleet of Necron ships landed on Mars.  Probably to turn his alarm on, and try to wake him.  Whether they succeded isn't known yet.  Of coarse the humans dont know what they were doing.  Apparantly the Dragon was the one that built the best Necron warriors (think Titan type creatures).  He also may have fought one of the primarchs, though I think this is a bit odd. I think the time line is out on that (he should be asleep).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 10:20 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

In the BFG campaign when the game was released, Abbaddon captured items called 'Blackstone Fortressess'.  He found out how to activate them, and used them to destroy whole systems (think Death Star).  Now originally, I think these were planned to be Necron constructs (by the look of the models) , but now it turns out these are the 'Talismans of Vaul' and were made to destroy the C'tan.  These are the only things that can totally destroy the C'tan.

They work by tearing a HUGE hole in real space, transporting anything into the ether, and ripped apart at the same time. (basicall a massive D-cannon).

The C'tan, cannot survive in the warp, they are not even aware of the place. Since they have no effect on it, or it on them.  As a side note, this means that Chaos are not aware of them either, and vise versa.

These were built at the time Khaine fought Nightbringer, but for some reason weren't used.  Or if they were, no records exist of what happened.   Anyway, the C'tan decided to go into hibernation anyway.  With the emergance of Psykers, which were dangerous to them (I think) they decided to sleep until they all died out.  However, the psykers didn't die out, and grew stronger.  Now they are awakening to see that there are very strong races holding onto the galaxy, and they want it (for food).

The story line is similar to yours.  Just switch C'tan with Nids it would seem.

These latest bits of fluff, are in the Necron codex (which I dont own, so this is from whats been posted on other forums) and recent WD's.  I'll find the number out if you wish.