Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 491 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 33  Next

Vior'la Tau - Developmental V1.9

Post subject: Re: Vior'la Tau - Developmental V1.5
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:02 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I like it.

Maybe "Cluster Rocket System" could have Ignore Cover as it sounds like a area effect weapon.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I too like it. Would be nice with some ground based TK, even if limited. By no way an autoinclude in my book but still interesting compared to other primarily AT units like battle suits, 6 strong hammerheads and riptides. It provides some serious long range capabilities. Still think we would see more riptides with them giving access to the Shas'O though.

That said, if we would have to chose, then I'd rather see the KX139 included as that would be a more distinct unit compared to the riptides (it's IMO worthy of being a DC3 engine) and would add more variety to the list.

Edit:
I'm a bit hesitant though. Could we perhaps go for approval first and add them later? Adding new units would put us back quite a bit in that process.
(This request is mostly out of selfinterest. This is my favorite list to play. I've mainly played in tournamnets (no local sceen) the last 2 years after moving cities and now the Swedish tournament organisers has decided to only allow approved lists (and UK lists). Which of course means I can't bring Vior'la any more.)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:39 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'd be more interested in getting it approved in current form and potentially adding something later. No model exists for the new things as the moment so why worry about disrupting out process?

Post subject: Re: Vior'la Tau - Developmental V1.7
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Vior'la Tau - Developmental V1.7 has been uploaded!

[] Ethereal death rule changed (to match Tau 6.6) "A formation joined by an Ethereal becomes fearless, but loses fearless and takes an extra D3 blast markers if he is killed"

[] Option to added Shielded Missile Drones to Riptides removed.
(this is in response to feedback, particularly from Steve (Onyx), that smart placement of drones could make Riptides more difficult to suppress. The unit has lost the option)

[] Option to add a single additional Riptide to an existing formation added
(frequent request from players who want this to be their BTS)

[] Riptide revert to one 3+ macro 45 (remain at higher price)

[] Tau Special Rules added to the document

[] A number of Formatting changes to make the document easier to use.

I hope you enjoy the tweaks and changes.

(In the background, I will also be testing a couple of new units in 1.7a, KX128 Stormsurge and KV129 Ta'unar Supremacy.
I'd like to see them in the list eventually but until I get preliminary feedback on these, I won't be adding them on the forum here. They may not make it in to the dev version at this time.)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:00 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for the new version, 1.7. Did I miss the 1.6 version or was that evolutionary?

Love the command bridge on the Manta. Did notice that several of the comments sections from that part of the unit details have gone missing (in action?).

The new wording for the Shas'o upgrade means it cannot actually be added to a Fire Warrior Cadre. No Shas'el in the formation to replace and no way to get on in there.

What do you think is necessary for seeking NetEA approval for this list?
Aside from giving Borka a tournament 'legal' list, . . .

Thought I'd list my Vior'la games from last year (reported by Markconz) with the recent rounds of the list development, mostly compliant with v 1.5:

2015 Nov, counts as Starship Troopers vs Thousand Sons, 4000 points, Lots of Crisis Suits, Stealth Suits, Orcas and fighter support.

2015 Oct, Gargants vs Vior'la Tau, 5000 points, Mantas (plural), Riptides, Armour and Crisis Suits.

2015 Oct, Gargant Big Mob vs Vior'la Tau, 4000 points, Manta, Riptides and supporting cast.

2015 Sep, Titan Legion vs Vior'la Tau - Riptided!, 4000 points, Riptide spam, 18 Crisis Suits masquerading as big boys.

2015 Aug, Titan Legion vs Vior'la Tau, 3000 points, fairly infantry based but some Broadside suits to hold it together.

2015 Apr, Steel Legion vs Vior'la Tau, 3000 points, Manta and a pair of Moray (counts as with AX-1-0s)

2015 Jan, Marine vs Vior'la Tau, 4000 points, Air mobile

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:25 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Fantastic, thanks very much for posting the battle reports.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 10:02 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Updated version of the list coming soon.

Post subject: Re: Vior'la Tau - Developmental V1.8
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 1:22 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Vior'la Tau - Developmental V1.8

The new update is now available. This contains the two new Tau units that I have kept to a separate list for the last couple of months, but that are now ready to see the light of day.

KX128 Stormsurge

An absolute colossus of a machine, piloted by graduates of the Ves’oni’Vash, the KV128 Stormsurge is designed as an extreme heavy-weapons platform. Not as manoeuvrable as a Riptide, instead relying on thick armour and devastating loadouts, these hulking, squat ballistic suits are capable of changing the course of a battle in seconds with a decisive volley of astonishing firepower. Fitted with thrusters to counter recoil, bristling with pulse weaponry and missile pods, the Stormsurge is the Tau Empire’s Titan-killer.

Vior'la Epic version
Two KX128 Stormsurge units 250pts
War Engine 20cm
Armour 3+
FF 5+
CC 5+
Pulse Driver Cannon: 75cm MW3+
Destroyer Missile: 90cm MW 3+ (TK D1), One Shot
Notes: The Destroyer Missile may not be fired at a target that is not Marker Lit. The unit may not fire any other weapons in the same turn.
Tau Deflector field. Walker. Damage Capacity 2. Critical Hit: Destroyed, doing a hit to any unit within 5cm on a 6+.

(Once per game this giant mech can fire a missile at a target, provided the target is markerlit, and at the expense of not being able to fire its standard weapon.
Why take it instead of a Riptide? The range makes it a viable alternative to the riptide, and it is the only ground-based TK available to Tau.
Why take a Riptide instead? The Riptide is a little cheaper, has more diverse weapons, is faster and has stats better suited to moving up the battle field)

KV129 Ta'unar Supremacy

The Tau KX139 Ta'unar Supremacy Armour is larger than any other current class of Tau Battlesuit. It is intended to meet a threat that the Tau Empire has not yet prepared for; the defence of worlds within their growing domain from the counter-expansion forces of other races. Lacking the manoeuvrability of other Battlesuits, the KX139 Ta’unar Supremacy Armour was designed for static defence; carrying massively destructive, long range weapons.

KV129 Ta'unar Supremacy
225 points each
War Engine 15cm 3+ 5+ 5+
Pulse Ordnance Multi-driver 75cm 3BP, Ignore Cover
2 × Seeker Missiles 90cm AT6+, Guided Missiles

Tau Deflector field. Walker. Damage Capacity 3. Critical Hit: Destroyed, doing a hit to any unit within 5cm on a 6+.

(A DC3 gigantic walker for Tau! The 40K version of this fires a remarkable Apocalyptic Barrage (3) with Pinning and No Cover Saves, which is scaled down a bit here into a 3BP Ignore Cover barrage weapon in order to make it easier to price and balance, and for the same reason the special rules are kept to simply 'ignore cover')

Additional Special Rule:

Voir'la Tau Barrage Weapons
Voir'la Tau Barrage Weapons do not benefit from bonus to-hit effect of markerlights.

(This prevents Tau template weapons from being better than other armies'. The original Tau list didn't have any template weapons, but since part of our remit is attempt to represent additions to the 40K universe in this game, this rule is probably almost inevitable. This does mean a slight nerf to Sunshark bomber pulse bombs, but I don't personally see that as an issue at all. Feedback is welcome)

I hope that players enjoy having access to the new units, and please let me know if you have any comments regarding them.
These are likely to be the final additions to the Vior'la Tau list before we seek approval, and in fact I hope their existence will spur people on to play the list enough to help generate the necessary battle reports :D

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 3:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Just a correction.
It's KV128 Stormsurge
And KX139 Ta'unar

Your list has it as:
KX128 Stormsurge
KV129 Ta'unar

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:17 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks Shoel, I'll slip that edit into the next minor update.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:21 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Brief battle reports from the Epic League that Steve (Onyx) is running here in WA, using list 1.8 Above.

Noteable Tau army features:
1x KX139 Ta'unar Supremacy Armour
Riptides without Shield Drones (not available in the 1.8 list)
1x AX-1-0 Aircraft (TKD3) (Maximum 1 available in the 1.8 list, down from up to 4 in pairs)

Game 1 vs Marines
(1 Thunderhawk, lots of armour, 4 whirlwinds, 2 Hunters total AA)
This game was played vs a new player, so lots of tactical advice was shared as we went. Tau had total air supremacy, which is always a bonus.

Early in the game the riptides weren't put under enough pressure to really feel the lack of shield drones, but when a formation of 3 got hit by thunderhawk and terminators the result was predictable slaughter of the non-fearless bots. Fortunately this was not the BTS formation; they were under an AA umbrella with a firewarrior formation on overwatch and markerlights all over the place, and the Marines didn't fall for it.
TEH COWARDZ!!

The AX-1-0 Aircraft only had 1 warengine to chase, but didn't manage to come on to the table on the turn the Thunderhawk arrived - they're so consistent :D

The X139 Ta'unar Supremacy Armour added a few BM and killed a whirlwind and 2 marines during the course of the game; nothing spectacular and it did pretty much what you would expect from a 3BP weapon, but I found it a useful addition. Not everything needs disrupt/macro :D

The Tau managed to take control of midfield by turn 3, resulting in a 3-0 win to Tau.

Game 2 vs AMTL
As always, Tau vs AMTL was an uphill struggle. Two AMTL Reavers had indirect disrupt 10BP missiles, so even with spaced deployment it meant 3 riptides were broken and all the hammerheads and skyray killed by the 3rd activation.

Tau returned fire with the Supremacy Armour and took 1 shield off the BTS Reaver - it's a start! That was a lot more than the BTS riptides could manage - single moving and shooting, this formation couldn't even manage a hit, and got what it deserved when the Reaver opened up in returned and broke them. They ran as far away as they could, but got annihilated when long range macro killed and hacked down the Supreme Commander.

Reavers sliced through the tau infantry and scout skimmers to make a bold play for the Tau BTS.

A lot of concerted effort saw the Reaver BTS killed by the end of turn 3, but a very simple plan to win 2-1 by crossing the centre line and stealing 2 objectives fell apart when the AX-10 failed to come on, the Orca full of crisis suits didn't activate and the surviving tetras couldn't move. This flipped the score to 1-2 to the AMTL, a good well earned win that defied the usual Tau tactic of some how stealing a win from the jaws of defeat. :D

My comments:
I missed having Shield Drones - the lack of extra wounds from the small units made breaking faster and the lack of fearless more painful. :D
Like Supremacy Armour (BP). Definitely happy with the 'Barrage Weapons do not benefit from Markerlights' rule.
Will have to try the Stormsurge (MW /oneshot TK) soon; half a dozen of them may have been the ideal unit for the AMTL game, but that would have been a bit too far into customising the list to really be reflective.

The games were definitely fun, and I look forward to some more this weekend.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:14 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Matt-Shadowlord wrote:
Thanks Shoel, I'll slip that edit into the next minor update.

Could you also please add back in the notes sections for the aircraft etc.
Orca, Manta and so forth, . . . disappeared between v 1.5 and 1.6 I think.

What were you running as your Tau army in the above games?

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 1:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I went to the european team championship on the Sunday to check out the last round. I had a friendly game against Joe after the finals using Vior'la 1.8. I know reports without pictures are somewhat worthless, but I wasn't able to take any pictures I'm afraid.

Code:
Joe Jephson, 3000 POINTS
Biel-Tan Craftworld (NetEA Army Compendium v2014 (v4.2))
==================================================

WRAITHGATE [50]

8 Swooping Hawk, Exarch, Autarch

2 Dire Avenger, 6 Fire Dragon, 2 Exarch

2 Dire Avenger, 6 Dark Reaper, 2 Exarch

2x Farseer, 7 Guardians

Void Spinner

Void Spinner

3 Falcons, 2 Fire storms

3 Falcons, 2 Fire Storms

VAMPIRE RAIDER [200]

VAMPIRE RAIDER [200]

4 Ranger

I brought the following.

Quote:
Borkas Vior'la, 3000 POINTS
Tau Vior'la (1.5 Developmental)
==================================================

2X FIRE WARRIOR CADRE [325]
6 Fire Warrior Units, 3 Devilfishes, 2 Pathfinder units and 1 Devilfish or 3 pathfinder units

FIRE WARRIOR CADRE [325]
8 Fire Warrior units, 2 Pathfinder units and 1 Devilfish or 3 pathfinder units

ARMOURED SUPPORT GROUP [375]
5x Hammerhead Gunship (Railhead), Skyray

ARMOURED SUPPORT GROUP [375]
5x Hammerhead Gunship (Railhead), Skyray

XV104 RIPTIDE FORMATION [450]
3 XV104 Riptides, Shas'o Commander

RECON SKIMMER GROUP [150]
3 Pathfinder Tetra, 2 Piranha

RECON SKIMMER GROUP [150]
4 Pathfinder Tetra, Piranha

BARRACUDA SQUADRON [150]

SUN SHARK SQUADRON [200]

ORCA ASSAULT DROPSHIP [150]

Turn 1
We played long sides. I had a small activation advantage with several eldar formations being in reserves. Joe won initiative and the Eldar stayed back at the deployment zone bombing me and doing move-shoot-move shenanigans. The void spinners were a bit unlucky though and only killed a few units, not breaking anything. I pushed forward and and sacrificed my recon formations. My list is designed to be less dependent on tetras/recon compared a lot of tau armies. All the mainstay formations bring their own markerlights.

I also doubled forward one of the mechanized firewarrior to a central forrest close to one of my t&h objectives (also the webgate) formations to see if I could get Joe to commit one of his Vampire formations. He did so and later also the swooping hawks which led to the complete destruction of the FWs. But I could then answer with the loaded orca as my last activation. I gambled and went for the Swooping hawks which were halfway into Joes table half. This ment getting the orca within range of two firestorms. Four AA hits were produced (and I was thinking f*ck :sos ) but luck was with me and I saved two hits on the regular save and one the shield. I killed 6 units (including the autarch).

The shield is of course a major difference compared to the regular Tau list. I probably wouldn't have dared the move without the shield, and if I would then I'd have lost the aircraft. I'm not saying the upgrade compared to Tau third phase is a good or bad thing just noting that it had an effect on our game.

The sun sharks is a formations I really enjoy. To have a barrage is great. They delivered first turn by breaking a formation of guardians (might have gotten help with a kill or two from another formation of mine). I was aided this turn by one of the vampires failing to turn up.

Turn 2.
I was lucky and got to go first. This ment my airdropped big (11 units total) firewarrior formation were able to start and sustain on the aspect warriors (which had killed my mech FWs) close by. Killing all remaining units outright. I retained and shot at a formation of falcons with hammerheads. Only managing to kill one however.

I continued to push forward and we traded a few blows. I broke one of the two void spinners. One of my hammerheads formations was decimated and broken for one of the falcon formations in return. I lost all units but one broken piranah from the recons. Joe failed again to bring his second vampire on board with the autarch gone. Sun sharks gave me BTS by bombing the 2 surviving but broken hawks.

Turn 3
I won initiative again. This gave me the game I think. I was able to kill one of the void spinners and use my hammerheads great range to destroy the unharmed falcon formations. Sun sharks gave me BTS Joe used his last formations to great effect braking a few of mine. Joe left his other vampire for last and it finally showed up, attacking my second mechanized formation. The firedragons made 5 macro hits, which spelled the doom for my fierwarriors. I think I lost the combat by a margin of 9. This denied me one objective denying me T&H.
I was able to secure defend the flag which together with BTS gave me a 2 - 0 win.

Sun sharks were great as always. I find them a big help against all armies with garrisoned infantry. They were never attacking units that were marker lit so the loss of the rule didn't effect them. They are somewhat unreliable and with loosing the ability to effectively sustain I think I will move over to the new Ta'unar supremacy suit for barrage duty.

I pushed my riptides aggressively towards the Eldar blitz. They were a bit meh! this game. They didn't draw any fire and only killed a void spinner. Not that great a showing, but were as always a nice place to hide ones supreme commander instead of the flimsy crisis suits.

Orca, described above.

Cadre fire blade upgrade didn't come into effect, but feels good against a firefight oriented army like eldar after airdropping in the enemy half field.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:52 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for posting the battle report, and well played! Tau vs Eldar is always a tough game, and Joe's list is excellent.

Obviously winning 2 key initiatives and saving 4 AA hits on the orca had an impact, but it sounds like you played a good game and capitalised on your luck. Farsight would be proud. :D

Quote:
Sun sharks were great as always. I find them a big help against all armies with garrisoned infantry. They were never attacking units that were marker lit so the loss of the rule didn't effect them. They are somewhat unreliable and with loosing the ability to effectively sustain

They're still good at encouraging opponents not to bunch up too much, but my view is a rule change to stop markerlights enhancing tempates was fairly inevitable. It's the sort of tweak that helps with opponent-acceptance and makes a list easier to approve.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:55 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Matt, note these are all theory questions from initial reading.

Matt-Shadowlord wrote:
Destroyer Missile: 90cm MW 3+ (TK D1), One Shot

Matt, is that supposed to be a TK d3 or TK1? TK1 Seems a bit underwhelming when you can't fire anything else. If it's meant to kill titans TK1 x2 for the formation once doesn't really seem it would do the job. Wouldn't TK2 per suit be better with a price increase?

Are you sort of comparing the cost vs effect against a Shadowsword to get the 250 points for the formation? Better survivability versus naffer weapon system, for example?

Matt-Shadowlord wrote:
(Once per game this giant mech can fire a missile at a target, provided the target is markerlit, and at the expense of not being able to fire its standard weapon.

Isn't the Guided Missile rule enough to describe this with a data note saying "may fire only this" etc?

Matt-Shadowlord wrote:
KV129 Ta'unar Supremacy
225 points each
War Engine 15cm 3+ 5+ 5+
Pulse Ordnance Multi-driver 75cm 3BP, Ignore Cover
2 × Seeker Missiles 90cm AT6+, Guided Missiles

Voir'la Tau Barrage Weapons
Voir'la Tau Barrage Weapons do not benefit from bonus to-hit effect of markerlights.

(This prevents Tau template weapons from being better than other armies'. The original Tau list didn't have any template weapons, but since part of our remit is attempt to represent additions to the 40K universe in this game, this rule is probably almost inevitable. This does mean a slight nerf to Sunshark bomber pulse bombs, but I don't personally see that as an issue at all. Feedback is welcome)

No indirect fire? Without it, it seems the Tau barrage is not quite equal to other armies' template weapons as it doesn't get a benefit from a no LOS rule to fire either. Could the weapon just be a standard IF Barrage template weapon to simplify? 75cm range seems a bit meh. What range does the 40K version have for the weapon system? I'm not sure 225 points is worth taking it for a single 75cm, no IF, Barrage.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 491 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 33  Next