Login |  Register |  FAQ

Polyversal ground scale question

Post subject: Polyversal ground scale question
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I was wondering what the ground scale for Polyversal is. I have sort of gotten the impression the ground scale is around the same scale as the figures, but I'm not sure.

Thanks in advance.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Polyversal ground scale question
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:26 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Azor1,

In Polyversal, and most miniatures games, the ground scale is generally compressed in order to fit on a table that's a manageable size, roughly 6' typically. For example, a typical battlefield at this scale to be "true 6mm (1/300)", may roughly fill a basketball court.. but of course that's not realistic for playing a game. So, the ranges and movement values are all compressed accordingly and on the same scale to each other for consistency. This works to make a typical game of Polyversal fit on a 4'x4' or 6'x6' table as with most games. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:22 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ok, thanks. I guess I'm just use to urban areas having a uniform effect, so a game set in an urban environment with a compressed ground scale seemed off to me.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:41 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It is uniform and we do explain the scale chosen, which keeps everything relative to each other regarding weapon ranges, movement, etc.. The city terrain I did for Polyversal's videos is scaled per Google maps satellite view... but at that scale, 1/300, a 4' square area is only several city blocks... not an entire city... so most every miniatures game out there has a compressed horizontal scale except the more skirmish-type games which may be true. Theminiaturespage and other online sites have articles devoted to this, and in most rules sets, scale choices such as this are discussed (or should be) in the rules.

As an example... a typical firing range for a WWII tank may be up to 1000 yards or more... artillery... from miles away... but to cover those larger distances in an exact horizontal representation of even 6mm scale, you'd need a gymnasium... so... Most of the games I've played represent height to a scale so the figures look right to each other... but horizontally, those scales are compressed to fit the game in a typical gaming space.

Example-- 1000 yards firing range = roughly 914 meters * 1/300 = roughly 3 meters or 9' of gaming space to represent that firing range, which is a bit impractical.

Here's a discussion board devoted to scale if you're interested:
http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/topics.mv?id=161

There are a lot of discussions on the topic. We're not saying Polyversal is correct, but, it is consistent and works well to handle a battle over a large area in a relatively small gaming space.