Login |  Register |  FAQ

Gold vs. version 5

Post subject: Gold vs. version 5
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm interested in checking out NetEpic and am trying to decide which rules to use.

Am I correct in assuming that NetEpic Gold is the same rules as NetEpic version 5 but with the very nice formatting and pictures?

Thanks

http://gamingandshooting.blogspot.com

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Gold vs. version 5
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I am pretty sure that there are some differences. There was a similar topic on this subject, but I can't locate it at the moment, so you'll have to wait for Primarch to give you a more comprehensive answer. They are not, however, completely the same in terms of the rules :).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:42 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks Irisado. So if they are different which should a new player start with? Which is "better"?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:02 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

I would start with the net epic Gold rules. They represent the final most stable version. There is also a thread with an update PDF for the Gold book with the errata. :)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:45 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks Primarch. Could you highlight the key differences between the two versions?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

sean_68333 wrote:
Thanks Primarch. Could you highlight the key differences between the two versions?

Hi!

There are no "large" differences. Mostly tweaks to the unit stats (too numerous, I don't remember most of them). Also the addition of some formations to some army lists (SM chapters) and the fusion of some books into one (Eldar covers dark eldar and exodites).

Mostly though, Gold is pretty to look at. ;)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:49 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks again. That information helps. I've read through most of the version 5 rule book. It is good to know that there aren't substantial changes.

Another question if you or others have experience... which do you prefer NetEpic (any version) or NetEpic Armageddon? And why?

I'll download the Gold files and check them out. I've got lots of painting to do as this version requires quite a few more models than Epic: Armageddon, but that is okay. I don't have enough projects.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

There's no such thing as NetEpic Armageddon ;).

The plethora of sets of rules actually makes this a pretty confusing subject. I'm going to be putting some short guides together to help people out with this, but the short version is that NetEpic is fan based development of Space Marine (Titan Legions), while NetEA is one of the fan based developments of Epic Armageddon (there are others, such as Epic UK).

Both are very good games, but if you liked Space Marine/Titan Legions a lot, then you will probably prefer NetEpic, because it's very similar. Epic Armageddon is much more streamlined, as uses rather different rules mechanics, including concepts like suppression, which do not feature in NetEpic.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:30 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

@Irisado: I've not really played any of these versions. A guide talking about the differences between the games would be very helpful to those that are thinking about getting into one of these games.

Let me ask a different question... Which system is less complicated? I will be the guiding force with my gaming group so I will need to teach all of them the rules. Less complicated is typically better since we don't get the chance to play all that regularly.

Thanks again for the input. It is helpful.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'd say perhaps armageddon is more strategically complex (with using alternate activations), but to me it feels less complicated. This is mainly due to a lot less of unit special rules (armageddon instead uses universal special rules to a much higher degree).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah, I'd agree with Borka.
E:A's basic rules are more complicated than Net Epic's. Net Epic armies are packed full of a wide range of vehicles and infantry which all have differing stats where as E:A have a much more limited range of units and stats. So swings and roundabouts really!
Probably best to decide what you'd like from armies in your game. If it's a wide range of units with flavoursome abilities I'd recommend Net Epic, E:A if you'd prefer not having too many stats to remember when playing!

Life of Die Channel including Epic Podcasts and Battle Reports

Epic 40K Players Page on Facebook
Net Epic Evolution Rules
Net Epic War! Campaign Rules

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

sean_68333 wrote:
@Irisado: I've not really played any of these versions. A guide talking about the differences between the games would be very helpful to those that are thinking about getting into one of these games.

I've put together a history and FAQ on NetEpic here, which you may find helpful. I will put together something similar for Epic Armageddon, but that's more complicated, so it will take me a while.

Quote:
Let me ask a different question... Which system is less complicated?

Neither if you're not familiar with them. NetEpic has more individual unit special rules, while Epic Armageddon (EA) has more special rules that apply across a whole range of units. EA involves more what I call book keeping on the table (the use of blast markers to show suppressed and broken formations, for example), but is more streamlined in terms of being less detailed overall; whereas NetEpic does get into more detail regarding diverse units/weapons.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:02 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Irisado wrote:
Neither if you're not familiar with them. NetEpic has more individual unit special rules, while Epic Armageddon (EA) has more special rules that apply across a whole range of units. EA involves more what I call book keeping on the table (the use of blast markers to show suppressed and broken formations, for example), but is more streamlined in terms of being less detailed overall; whereas NetEpic does get into more detail regarding diverse units/weapons.

So if I kept my army lists limited to basic/similar units then NetEpic should be pretty straight forward to learn/teach?

I will check out your write up on the game systems.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It should be, yes. The main thing to do is, as you would with any game, start by using basic units and build up from there. Avoid trying to use titans and super heavies to begin with, for example, and just try out some infantry and basic vehicles.

Also, avoid using units with lots of special rules. Once you have learnt the basics off by heart, it becomes much easier to incorporate these sorts of units into your games :).