Login |  Register |  FAQ

Using vassal sprites instead of miniatures (lots of pics).

Post subject: Re: Using vassal sprites instead of miniatures (lots of pics
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

These are cool! Only just twigged these have been stuck to card - I thought they were screenshots!!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:39 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Are you using the vassel sprites from the 40k mod? The Epic ones had some funny stuff done to them when converting...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:29 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Looks god and kudos for this. A guy at our club has done a similar thing for his Napoleonic armies, except his troops are cut out of the foam and then stuck vertically on a base. There are a lot more figures so there's much less detail and the effect is very pleasing and just as cost effective.

One thought for your vehicles might be to stick several thicknesses of foam together and paint the edge to suit.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote:
Are you using the vassel sprites from the 40k mod? The Epic ones had some funny stuff done to them when converting...

Yeah, I am using the 40K ones. They are basically image files I scrounged all over the internet to find (lots of them using Google Image searches). The funny thing is that originally I had a goal of making a "travel size" 40K game that I imagined printing the images of the models at 15mm scale, but when i printed the first Space marines at 100%, they came out at perfectly 6mm scale. A light bulb went of and I suddenly went "Heeeyyyyyy....Epic scale!" So I experimented with some green squares and rectangles in MSPaint that would be good for base sizes, and then just cut and pasted all the models around into the typical Epic unit setups.

So I have a file with an example of each unit for each army that I simply can open with MSPaint cut and paste until I have enough to fill a letter sheet when printed out, and that's it. Some armies, like the Tau and Eldar, had tanks that I thought were just a little too large compared to the troops, so they are separate files that are printed at 75% or 85% because then the printer scales the pixels and the detail is saved- they can't be made smaller at the image level because they pixels distort (some of the guns and things are sometimes only 2-4 pixels wide!!)

I never really knew much about Vassal, and I am not very good with computers, so I don't know how to pull images out of the files for the 40K mods, so some of the models for each army had to be creatively converted from other models, so they are not strict representations of "actual" Epic models, but rather things that are basically proxies.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

For instance, here's some Ork "conversions". Excuse the bad quality, I use packing tape to seal the tokens, so I have to fight the glare of the desk lamp.

The Gunwagons are a hack of Chimera and some Leman Russ bodies, with Leman Russ tread sections turrets/cannons, with some alterations. The two others are Oddboy gunwagons with a soopagun and a zzap gun, which are homemade barrels on looted Basilisks (crewed by Grots, of course). The field pieces are made from assorted bitz and Leman Russ cannons. I tried to make every unit have a unique design of skulls, paint, and checkerboard patterns. (which of course means I promptly used a pic with the two left gunwagons being identical- d'oh.)

I figure the Gunwagons are just supposed to look like Lungbursta tanks in my army.

Here's my fight-bomma, which if you loo closely has a Thunderbolt fuselage (with the cockpit and midsection flipped vertically and stuck back in) and Marauder wings, with added Ork glyphs, guns, some rokkits and all changed to a proppa' red paintjob (to go faster).

Here's examples of my Ork army, with two versions of battlewagon, the upper left are Nobs and a Warlord, and the unit on the lower right is a Wyrdboy from the feral orks list (we house rule it as a formation add-on for the standard Thraka list, because Wyrdboys are cool)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:30 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Great stuff! :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I saw your stuff on Dakka Dakka. Nice work on the space wolves.

Ill have Orks done soon.

Then need to work on IG and its on with my campaign.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:09 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah, I need to update this with the Tau army I have finished, and then it's onto either Chaos Marines, or Eldar.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:06 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Do you have a link to these, where could we find them?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:06 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I have the white scars in this thread viewtopic.php?f=14&t=28767

Will be adding orks and IG in the comming weeks. Although i will look into a better hosting platform for my files at some point.