Login |  Register |  FAQ

Epic Space Marine v2 the rebirth

Post subject: Epic Space Marine v2 the rebirth
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Awhile ago I picked up a minty sealed Epic Space Marine (SM2/TL) off ebay. While I had a bunch of stuff leftover from my hardcore playing days, I was actually missing some things and decided to start all over with a basic set that I could use to play casual games with friends and family where I wouldnt freak out over the handling of my prized minis. Keep in mind my main collection consists of my favorite minis and custom work that I dont trust others handling ;).

So I really didnt want to spend a lot of money on this, so I decided to try and limit myself to only building up what was included in the box and mostly the main rulebook, so basically Space Marines,, Orks, and Eldar. Also, I used the minis that cam in the set as the basis for each of the armies, and had enough Space Marines that I decided to do 2 Chapters, an Ultramarine one, and a Sons of Horus one, so that I could teach noobs the game with standard armies so they could appreciate a Land Raider for example, because both players had them. Aside from a few units, everything I decided on including had rules for in the rulebook. I had a spare Warlord so I could have a loyalist and traitor one, and then decided on including a Slasher Gargant and Eldar Phantom for titans, and the only two minis I included that werent in the main rulebook were the Eldar Deathstalker and Ork Gibletgrinda. Also, going with the updated point values for Eldar that were released in the Renegades set.

What I wanted to be sure of, was that I didnt have a lot of exotic or complicated units that would take away from learning the basic mechanics of the game, and most importantly, the use of the units themselves. So here is what I came up with:

Ultamarines
-----------
Tactical Company
Land Raider Detachment
Land Raider Detachment
Biker Detachment
Whirlwind Detachment
Medic
Chaplin
Warlord Titan

Sons of Horus
-------------
Tachical Company
Land Raider Detachment
Land Raider Detachment
Biker Detachment
Whirlwind Detachment
Medic
Chaplin
Warlord Titan

Orks
----
Warlord Detachment
Bad Moon Clan
+ Weirdboy Tower
+ Weirdboy Tower
Evil Sunz Clan
+ War Buggies
Gibletgrinda
Stormboy Detachment
Slasha Gargant

Eldar
-----
Warhost
Warlock
Fire Dragon Detachment
Striking Scorpion Detachment
Vibro Cannon Detachment
Tempest Detachment
Deathstalker
Phantom Titan

AND THATS IT! I promised myself not to add anymore to this. Anyway, all but some of the Eldar vehicles, titans, and Gibletgrinda are painted. I've got a nice 4+ foot by 4+ foot gaming board with lots of terrain.

So that being said, I introduced the game to one of my nephews and he took a liking to it immediately, playing Ultramarines vs Sons of Horus. A friend of mine came over and saw the game in progress, and he wanted to give it a try so we are in the middle of that game now (we didnt have time to finish it so I just left the board up.

Both games were just using the basics, no titans yet, which I'll introduce next, and when they learn that, we'll eventually move on to the other races.

So after all this has been said, here are some comments and observations after not playing this version in ages:

1) Epic Space Marine (SM2) is without question, the best version of the game to introduce new players to. The game mechanics, and simplicity of the unit stats, help new players learn the game quicker, and dont have to suffer from losing because they didnt understand something.

* But as a long-term fan of Epic, I appreciate the detail and deepness of AT/SM1 more, but its too slow of a game to play, especially with noobs.

I really believe if GW just re-released this set, maybe with updated minis, but the rest as is, it would fly off the shelves.

2) The victory point system is odd, but at the same time, it also works. In the first game, I won on points, but my nephew liked the game so much, he accepted defeat but still wanted to keep playing, so we let the massacre continue until he was the last one standing with only a couple of minis left.

Keep in mind this is a basic set, and scenarios can be drafted, but for new players, understanding that objectives were worth a certain number of points dictated their strategy during the game. They are very tangible.

3) Being able to just about shoot who you want, from who you want, makes for a far better game than limiting a player to forcing them to have one detachment focusing all their shots on the same detachment. Watching these guys position units to take on a variety of threats was cool, because I was doing the same, and I would have hated to try and explain to them that a Land Raider couldnt shoot at some unit because it didnt belong to a unit the others were shooting at, even though he couldnt see it. That rule has plagued GW games for me for some time as far as I am concerned. Freedom allows for a better game, not the restriction of it.

4) I would have lost both players on Epic 40k, and Epic A. Both are not gamers, which I think you have to be for the later versions of Epic. Yes, the later versions do add some great things like the effects of blast markers and so on, but to me, thats more for the advanced gamer or history buff.

5) Everyone loves the titans!

I'll post some pics soon.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Epic Space Marine v2 the rebirth
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Those compositions are basic, as well as solid.

Looking forward to the pictures!

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm glad that all those involved enjoyed it. SM2 is still a very good game, and I prefer both it and Net Epic to EA, although I don't dispute EA's status as a very good game.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:49 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah the one thing I wanted to do was really limit myself to what is in the main rulebook, which I know leaves out a lot of flavor, but its not only daunting going over a ton of new rule concepts, but also the units themselves. In my personal Ultramarine army, I use Battle Companies, but in this set, I settled on Tactical Companies because (1) they were what came in the box, and (2) helps noobs grasp what these troops can and can't do quicker.

My nephew is definately part Ork and doesnt know it yet, as after being frustrated missing some shots, he straight up charged his detachment of 3 Land Raiders against my 3 Land Raiders in close combat, and won! LOL. I want to say terrible strategy... but it worked so what can I say? I lost all three of my land raiders.

This also means that since there isnt any mention of the Eldar Avatar or free detachments in the main rulebook as there is in Renegades, I am leaving them out. I dont think its fair they get these units free, while Space Marines dont. And while Orks can get Madboys, I havent set out to include them.

But I did throw in the Gibletgrinda as its independent and gives a player some more tactical choices, and while sitting down to make an Eldar force for with X points, I always seemed to be 50 points short, so I caved in and included a Deathstalker if needed. Pretty simple rules when just using one.

So I took those sheets out of the rulebooks I had, and binded them together along with the rules for Gargants and Eldar phantoms with my main rulebook. Thats the bible for this set.

And the best part about all this, everything fits in the same box! So it sits in the entertainment center along with Settlers of Catan and other board games.

Sometimes less is more, you know?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hehe the antithesis of the primarch load. :)

Inspiring, I've spent to much presious playing time testing new units or armies. Many of the best memories are from those early days crawling around on the floor fiddeling around with those basic units

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:30 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Sounds like fun was had by all. That's what it should be about.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi, here's some pics of a battle I'll be having with a friend today. We already have one game under out belt where we played with about half of what you see here, and this tim I'll be introducing the titans.

I made Ultramarine and Sons of Horus armies to basically have 2 armies that were the same so when I teach someone, its easier for them to relate to what they have versus what I have. When Josh my friend gets the hang of this I will break out the Orks and Eldar.

Attachment:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398525098.035263.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398525098.035263.jpg [ 157.64 KiB | Viewed 9051 times ]
Attachment:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398525135.833006.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398525135.833006.jpg [ 153.4 KiB | Viewed 9051 times ]
Attachment:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398525155.114407.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398525155.114407.jpg [ 140.2 KiB | Viewed 9051 times ]
Attachment:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398525219.011312.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398525219.011312.jpg [ 151.24 KiB | Viewed 9051 times ]
Attachment:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398525242.028769.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398525242.028769.jpg [ 150.36 KiB | Viewed 9051 times ]

The board is one my dad and I made ages ago. Its 4x4 and folds up in half with handles so i could bring it to friends houses. It works fine with smaller 40k games or games like Necromunda or Mordheim, but its pretty tight for even a 2500ish game of SM2 here. But I have a lot more room now than when I first put this board together so planning on making a 6x4 eventually.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Here's some of the Sons of Horus and some of the Orks and Eldar I have done.

Many thanks to those who have traded with me here to make this happen!

Attachment:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398525734.302580.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398525734.302580.jpg [ 140.58 KiB | Viewed 9049 times ]
Attachment:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398525766.059499.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398525766.059499.jpg [ 191.55 KiB | Viewed 9049 times ]

Btw those familiar with the game will notice I have way too many Special Cards for theonr Company card we each have but I dont care. I love the character command units bring so we're using a Chaplin and Medic along with the Warlord. I'll post some pics of the game in progress when we get to it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:09 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm not done painting those warlords btw!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:13 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

This takes me back to simpler days when everyone played the same game and epic was in its golden age!

Thanks for posting this!

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The terrain and table looks similar to how I set mine up on the rare occasions I can find someone to play against. It certainly does invoke positive memories.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yep, very nice! Any plans for a battle report? Would love to see how things went!

Life of Die Channel including Epic Podcasts and Battle Reports

Epic 40K Players Page on Facebook
Net Epic Evolution Rules
Net Epic War! Campaign Rules

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:13 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Bissler wrote:
Yep, very nice! Any plans for a battle report? Would love to see how things went!

Hi!

I second this request!

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ok will post some pics. Something came up an we couldnt play yesterday and I have family coming in the next 2 weekends and since this is in a spare room I dont know what to do with, we'll just leave it set up till like... 3rd weekend from now? Lol sucks but oh well