Login |  Register |  FAQ

Stu's Imperial Log

Post subject: Stu's Imperial Log
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I recently got back into 2nd ed epic after almost 20 years away from it. I've painted bits and pieces since then as a hobby in itself, but since picking up a pretty good selection of models I'm taking a more serious approach this time round. Gone is the "slap on a color and paint the base goblin green" that meant units were table-ready in the shortest time possible!

I've got a few armies to work on:

6k of space marines to be painted to match my 40k Red Scorpions
http://www.stuartwarner.info/modelling- ... scorpions/

5k of Imperial Armour

6k of Titan Legions

12k of Eldar

and my wife has about 6k of space marines to paint to match her own 40k chapter, something along these lines
http://www.stuartwarner.info/modelling- ... ommission/

I've made a pretty good dent in my marines, having the 1st tactical and battle companies painted bar basing and having most of my command stands finished. I'm away from home at the mo so will post some pics up once I'm back at the painting desk.

Hopefully I should also be able to make a start on some scenery. It's no fun playing on a barrent table!

Looking forward to posting some updates soon.

Cheers

Stu

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Stu's Imperial Log
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:30 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I see your closet is as big as mine :D

Welcome aboard, and just start posting.

/Fredmans

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Cheers :)

First of a few WIP shots....

Thunderbolt

Grey Knights

Battle Company (needs basing still)

Command Stands

Pics from my phone atm so not the best quality. In the midst of a house move so dont have access to my DSLR or light tent at the mo :(

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:13 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Nice Work !

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:36 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

looking good.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I really like that thunderbolt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:45 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Nice paint job(s)! Two dudes per base is definitely anorexic, though.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks guys!

Things have been a bit manic since the last post (moving house twice and a holiday lol), but I've got some time now to start working through things..... Still got a long way to go - sorting, stripping and rebasing before I get started on the painting.

Here's a shot of whats almost, nearly and next to be finished

Hopefully in this shot my basing strategy makes a bit more sense. Standard 1*5 epic bases for 'common' troop types and penny style for 'rare' units. The terminators on the left are painted as Grey Knights, the bases (number of models per base) help to identify them as rare/special rules from a distance. My regular terminator squads are on standard 1*5 bases.

My plan of attack is to get these marines and their motor pool painted up in the next few weeks, then move on to my guard armour. Following that, it's either the Titan Legion or 12k of Eldar that I seem to have amassed. While that's going on, hopefully the wife will continue to work through her Epic Marines ;)

*fingers crossed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:50 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Slightly better picture of my grey knights, now that I've unpacked the camera :)

Robot Detachment

And a Devestator Squad

Next few units are two companies worth of Rhinos, basing a Tactical and Battle Company, and two units of Land Speeders.

Cheers

Stu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:30 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

my favorite robots! A little anemic with just 1 infantry per base, but well painted. Coming along nicely.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Woah - has it been so long since I updated this?

A lot has been going on recently, with 2 house moves in the last 12 months things have been really manic. Now that we're pretty much settled we've been able to start going through and sorting what we have in the way of epic.

We're still at about 7-8k of marines each, plus 5k of guard, 5k of titans and 12k of eldar so there's a fair amount to get table ready.

Things are about to start again though as we've decided to get through the marine stuff first then see where the mood takes us.

Attached are the boards with the two marine forces, just over half a 'standard' chapter each so far....

Attachments:
lis_epic_01.jpg
lis_epic_01.jpg [ 57.91 KiB | Viewed 4970 times ]
stu_epic_01.jpg
stu_epic_01.jpg [ 73.36 KiB | Viewed 4970 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:20 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

A proper update with a picture this time. 1st detachment of the devastator company along with my first three scratch built drop pods.

Attachment:
dev_01_drop_01.jpg
dev_01_drop_01.jpg [ 50.32 KiB | Viewed 4901 times ]

Hoping to get the rest of the troops finished this week, and make a start on the rest of the open pods. Will have to have a rummage in teh bits box to find suitable parts for the deathwind and plasma pods.....

Cheers

Stu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Scratch built?! You'd never know, these look absolutely fantastic! Your painting skills don't look too shabby either!

So have you had many games? As a fellow 2nd edition graduate (I play Net Epic which is pretty much 2nd edition with some improvements) I'd be interested to hear how you are enjoying your battles... :)

Life of Die Channel including Epic Podcasts and Battle Reports

Epic 40K Players Page on Facebook
Net Epic Evolution Rules
Net Epic War! Campaign Rules

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Cheers!

I shamelessly stole the idea from Apoc's thread over here > http://www.taccmd.tacticalwargames.net/ ... 64#p367864 and drew up a template in illustrator. Stuck it to the plasticard with spray mount and bob's your uncle. It's fairly tedious as each vane is made up of three sheets, I think Ive got it down to about 40-50 minutes per pod from sheet to built.

We've had a few (maybe 10 or so) small intro games of between 1000 and 3000 points, adding various units in each time to learn different parts of the ruleset which has really helped folks to pick the rules up. Everyone seems to be enjoying it and judging by their raiding of ebay seem keen to keep on playing. We've been using vanilla 2nd ed as I have Space Marine, Titan Legions and all of the expansions bar 'nids so its quite easy to give each player a copy of the rules to thumb through. Once everyone is happy with that we'll probably move into netepic and see how they compare / what people prefer. My missus is keeping her beady eye on onslaughminis at the mo as shes pretty keen to snatch up some sisterhood models to let her play SoB in epic as well as 40k.

We're all chatting through the idea of running a campaign to give the games some kind of ongoing narrative and maybe open up a link through to some smaller 40k skirmishes around key scenarios. It also gives my bro and bro in law a chance to teach me and the wife 40k properly - something theyve been trying to do since 4th ed tbh.

:)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Starting with small battles and building up is the way to learn - it's how I did it back in the day! 5K is a typical game for me these days, but I've had a lot of great 2 - 3K games as well over the years!

That's great to hear that your friends are enjoying it and that you are all growing your armies. Please keep us posted as to how you get on, and if you take any pics of your battles, please share them!

Just as a little aside, one of the improvements that Net Epic makes is for infantry embarking/disembarking from transports. I used to hate the 2nd edition rule of working out how much movement a vehicle had moved and then how much infantry could then move thereafter. The Net Epic rule is that both the vehicle and infantry sacrifice 5cm of the respective movement. It's a really simple change but saves frequent percentage calaculations (particularly on turn 1) and therefore speeds up play. Watch out if you use this though, it means units can get further up the board!

Life of Die Channel including Epic Podcasts and Battle Reports

Epic 40K Players Page on Facebook
Net Epic Evolution Rules
Net Epic War! Campaign Rules