Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Harakoni Warhawks - v1.5 (20131016)

Post subject: Re: Harakoni Warhawks - v1.4.2 (20111121)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:29 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I cant find a ton of useful pics of Warhawks paint schemes, as most dont seem to indicate the red shoulderpads, but the pics here are the ones I like the best.

So...

What is YOUR favorite proxy for Stormtroopers? I want something that looks like this:

I know there are DRM and Exodus Wars proxies for these, but quality photos of them are hard to get. I know GW has them, but their scuplts arent awe-inspiring and are certainly out of reality, price-wise.

What do you use?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:22 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

in my case, its gotta be the DRM shock trooper models, though a blue werewolf may have a suitable alternative, i dont really remember

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:26 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think all of the sources for the Harakoni are black fatigues with khaki armor, although they seem a regiment that would change the khaki armor to be an appropriate shade for the theatre. I haven't seen the red shoulderpads before, although they do look pretty cool.

I haven't really found a proxy for Stormtroopers I like, I'm currently using some guys from Brigade Models. I'd love to see some Kasrkin-style stormtroopers though, that'd be great.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:45 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Jaggedtoothgrin wrote:
in my case, its gotta be the DRM shock trooper models, though a blue werewolf may have a suitable alternative, i dont really remember

By the DRM Shock Troopers, do you mean the Special Forces?
http://www.darkrealmminiatures.co.uk/store/product.php?productid=124&cat=2&page=1

Im wondering if the Exodus Wars Royal Empire Assault Troopers wouldnt be a really good fit, but Im not sure if they are more appropriate for the Warhawks or the Stormtroopers. Problem is, Lascannons and Heavy Bolters are the two special weapons in the groups being discussed here. I know Im getting picky, but Im trying to work out who to use as what...lol. Oh well.

Ive got a document detailing all the proxies I am going to use for this list. I will post it when its done.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:58 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Not specifically for this army but I thought I'd chime in with proxy help here.

Have you seen these:
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc18 ... AG0157.jpg
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc18 ... AG0158.jpg
Lifted from my plog.

Might be worth firing the local werewolf a PM. <snip>

Last edited by CaptainSenioris on Sat May 12, 2012 12:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:36 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

I personally like the DRM Special Forces.

Ghost's Paint Blog, where everything goes that isn't something else.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:09 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Senioris, thanks for the tip. A better closeup would be good, but I am making independent investigations!

I'll be getting some of the DRM Pax Special Forces as well, although those might make better Warhawks units.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So, this list has been out for awhile, and I think it's time for a review. There's a couple issues still sitting around, and I'd like to get some opinions on them.

1) Marauder Bomber/Transport
What have people's experience been like with these? I've found them to be fairly useful, mostly for being able to carry larger formations. On the other hand, they haven't had a huge effect on the game, and could be dropped.

2) Glider capacity
I'm contemplating changing the capacity from 12 units to 14. This would allow for larger formations to be airdelivered, including a Strike Company with 7 Warhawks and a Fire Support Company. On the other hand, it might start becoming too powerful, as it allows for more durable/damaging air assault formations.

3) Forward Observer
Has anyone given this guy a try?

4) Sentinel Formations
These guys still seem to have some difficulties, particularly in being unable to properly keep up with the more forward-pushing air assault crew. In light of that, what are people's opinions on:

5) Tauros Scout Vehicles
No Venators being considered at the moment, but what are people's opinions on introducing the Scout Vehicles to fill the role of fast ground vehicles? Not as air transportable, but still possibly a good solution.

6) Removal of Self-Planetfall
This was pulled in the latest version, returning to regular Planetfall (and thus requiring the use of the Onero Overflight to get them on the board.) Have people felt the lack of deployment flexibility to be a significant hurdle? With the Compendium formalizing the rules for Self-Planetfall, I feel that it might be acceptable to bring Self-Planetfall back.

7) GravChutes
This is still pretty bad as far as requiring a ton of scatter rolls for a large formation. Going for a drop-pod (minus the Deathwinds) I don't like, as it results in a formation that ends up too concentrated. I'm considering having a formation be broken up into groups of 4-5, and each of those groups scattered seperately, as a sort of compromise between just one roll, and one roll per unit.

8) Aircraft pricing
It is a bit fidgety, but I think it reflects the fact that increasing the number of aircraft is more valuable on the dedicated ground-attack formations. With the newer Lightning Attack Fighter statistics (which haven't been included yet, but I'll get to it) do they still seem appropriately priced?

Long-Barrel Autocannon 45cm AP5+/AT6+/AA5+
Wingtip Lascannons 30cm AT5+/AA5+

9) Marauder Spectre
Opinions? I've found it to be fairly useful, but not overpowered.

10) Anything else?
Is there anything that seems worth addressing? I still have the thought of that heavy Imperial Dropship annotated on the front page, but is it worth including at this time? I'd probably go with the Destrier Dropship which is mentioned several times in the Ciaphas Cain novels. Might be too early to bring it up at this point, though.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:28 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Spectrar Ghost wrote:
I personally like the DRM Special Forces.

+1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:20 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

My orders are just going out, meaning I will have the components for my Harakoni on my desk within 2 weeks. Assembly and painting time added to that, plus real life, means I likely wont get any games in til summer, but I read the list almost nightly.

The complaint about the millions of scatter rolls plays heavily in my thought process as I read the army entries. I did notice, however, that the Blood Angels have a reroll ability on their planetfall. Wouldnt making a whole group planetfall in together effectively be teleportation? I dont have my rules in front of me here at work.

My list currently has 2 Marauder Bombers in it, and I hope/plan on reserving a small force of infantry until turn 3 when they can come in and contest or capture an objective near the end of the turn. All in all, my list has 4 Marauder-types and 1 wing of fighters. I think aircraft are a major role in this list, and I plan on maximizing my ability to take them.

Gliders? I havent really considered them because I was relying on the few formations that had Skimmers to Self-Planetfall and then use them to taxi around the battlefield.

Changes to Self-Planetfall does make sense, I think, but it saddens me :)

I have put a Forward Observer in one of my Warhawk units. It looks really good for a Turn 1 and Turn 3 suppression, but is, of course, untested.

Sentinels. I am using EW's Khazari Raiders as my Sentinels, and I am only taking the base group to have access to the Support group. Ive never been a fan of them in any IG list, but artillery we do need, and so a small garrison unit of Sentinels isnt bad. I do not know anything about the Tauros Scout vehicle.

All in all, I keep looking for the "Must have" unit and dont see one...which is really good, I think. I am having to work my mix of units around to ensure I can deal with War Engines/Titans, massed tanks, and massed infantry effectively. Game experience will tell, but I am looking forward to this enough that Ive dropped a few hundred dollars on new units for it :)

NOTE: I realized just today that I was going off the v1.4 PDF. I downloaded the v1.4.2 version (which, by the way, has no version number on it) and am looking it over now.

It is, off the top of my head, missing an entry for the Leman Russ Conqueror (and it only calls them "Conqueror", not "Leman Russ Conqueror", which confused me. It also isnt clear if adding the 2 more Lightning Interceptors to the Fighter Squadron is +75 points total or +75 points per fighter added.

I see the ability to only take 1 Vulture or Vendetta in a Tank Hunter Squadron was added, but at the expense of +25 points if you want to take 2. Same thing with the Interceptors, mentioned above, assuming the cost was "each" instead of "total".

The only other major change I see is the composition of the Linebreaker Relief Column, but the tanks are a nice addition.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Kealios wrote:
Jaggedtoothgrin wrote:

By the DRM Shock Troopers, do you mean the Special Forces?
http://www.darkrealmminiatures.co.uk/store/product.php?productid=124&cat=2&page=1

Im wondering if the Exodus Wars Royal Empire Assault Troopers wouldnt be a really good fit, but Im not sure if they are more appropriate for the Warhawks or the Stormtroopers. Problem is, Lascannons and Heavy Bolters are the two special weapons in the groups being discussed here. I know Im getting picky, but Im trying to work out who to use as what...lol. Oh well.

I prefer the Guild Assault Centuria myself. Granted I use them for Elysians but should be close enough IMO.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 9:31 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi guys,

Does anyone know who to contact at Army Forge at Traitor Legion as the Harakoni List builder is not functioning at all.

Loving the list and have always loved the Warhawks.

D.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18623

Look there or pn adam77

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

LOL and more than a year later it's still down. :(

I'm a total newbie to E:A... could someone explain the Air Cavalry special rule? It seems to say that the transports function as normal transports... in which case why have a special rule at all?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:26 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Some of the infantry types, and any light vehicles, are not listed on the Valkyrie datasheet as transportable. This rule corrects that.

Ghost's Paint Blog, where everything goes that isn't something else.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next