Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

SoB/PDF vs Daemonic/Cultists (Khorne)

Post subject: SoB/PDF vs Daemonic/Cultists (Khorne)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:43 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Do you play the standard Assault rules much?  It has been ages since I have, and we found that it was almost impossible to win as the defender.  Was wondering if you've had the same experience?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:12 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for asking Zap,

Short answer: Yes I do. It was, but I change things and now it's better. Yes I did.

The loooong way round...
Results of battles using slightly modified rules.

3000 PDF vs 6000 Tyranids
PDF won killing two Hierophants

2000 IG/SM v 4000 Tyranids
This scenario was a weird one as each attack lasted only three turns and then reset with the attackers numbers being replenished and increased by 500 points while the defender got to roll for surviving units and vehicles. (I have pictures but only memories for reference) I think the attackers were only 40 - 60cm from the defenders.
The IG/SM lasted three assault waves (Nine Turns) facing 5000 Tyranids and by that time the IG/SM were few in number. Nine turns must be a victory of sorts?

There's that blinkin' Airfix farm building again.

6000 (1000 SOB, 5000 PDF - Governors Palace Guard) vs 13,000 Slaanesh Chaos Cultist with lots of Knights and Subjugator/Questor Titans. No Pictures  :_(
PDF tactical victory as Cultists withdrew after rear attacked by 3000 points of Eldar.

2000 PDF/Eldar v 4000 Chaos Khorne
Fought within a Hive but with Assault rules. Chaos technically won but Defenders managed to withdraw... mostly intact while inflicting a disproportionate amount of casualties.

2000 PDF vs 4000 Chaos Nurgle
Chaos won but it was a good game

5000 PDF vs 8000 (5000 Tzeentch Chaos + 3000 Tzeentch Cultists) - City Assault + Night Time - Walls, gates and Fortress buildings.
Lots of Chaos Titans and they slaughtered everything. Night Time rules changed slightly after this.

To name but a few.

The Standard Assault rules didn't work in themselves. We gave it a try a few times before slightly changing things. Then we played a few Night Time Assault and changed it a little more.

Hidden Rules are as standard with the exception that you can not set up units more than 15cm from the original stand (where the counter was).

Fortifications are free but limited in number depending on scenario it could be per 1000 points or the number of company cards taken or Support slots available (If you need a lot but still want the defender to chose between more Emplacements or Off Table Barrages).

Dug In units do not gain a further -1 to be hit. Most fortifications grant at least this anyway and -3 To Hit modifiers are just boring.
Instead the defender gains +1 Armour save and +1 Caf while dug in. This means that even attacks that Ignore or Reduce Cover are effected. As it should be. It also means that units already with a save are harder to dig out than ordinary stuff.

I've been mucking about with suppression rules for artillery fire on Hidden units. Successful hit = Morale roll, if failed unit may not First Fire but may still Advance Fire. Last until next turn but unit remains Hidden and Dug In.

I also read the old Close Combat rules for SM and wanted to re-introduce the Building Assault rule that an attacker can not enter a building until the enemy is removed from within. This could be tagged on to the Dug In rules. The units outside assaulting the occupiers are considered to be Pinned though for targeting restrictions.

[img]http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk120/Warhead40k/Tyranid%20Swarm/DSC02262.jpg[/img]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:02 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Dug In units do not gain a further -1 to be hit. Most fortifications grant at least this anyway and -3 To Hit modifiers are just boring.
Instead the defender gains +1 Armour save and +1 Caf while dug in. This means that even attacks that Ignore or Reduce Cover are effected. As it should be. It also means that units already with a save are harder to dig out than ordinary stuff.

Is that +1 CAF in addition to the normal CAF bonus for being in fortifications?

I also read the old Close Combat rules for SM and wanted to re-introduce the Building Assault rule that an attacker can not enter a building until the enemy is removed from within. This could be tagged on to the Dug In rules. The units outside assaulting the occupiers are considered to be Pinned though for targeting restrictions.

Yes, these rules should go back into core if they were left out.  They are good.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:07 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Is that +1 CAF in addition to the normal CAF bonus for being in fortifications?

Oops, no I forget that I'm not alone in doing this anymore. Forgot that this is a feature in NetEpic too.

Yes, these rules should go back into core if they were left out.  They are good.
It's good for city fighting and makes sense to me but it wont be popular with everyone.

[img]http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk120/Warhead40k/Tyranid%20Swarm/DSC02262.jpg[/img]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:59 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for finishiong the report so I could make it official...  :vD

092b85658e746a91d343e53509d357744e56f641

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Link to the next part in the campaign...
http://www.tacticalwargames.net/forums....y285615

Link also to the next battle in the campaign... if you don't care about the story filler above.
http://www.tacticalwargames.net/forums....y293996

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

HI guys

-We played a lot of games with a defending army
but with our houserules
.for 1000 pt defending attacker gains 1500 pt
.defender set up terrain but has to stay fair :p
.defender set up first then attacker
.deployment zone varies but at least half of the table for the defender

works pretty well a lot of funny, bloody games

lllll@ zap

I thought you get +1 caf in buildings  and +2 caf in fortifications
I think it is a good usefull rule

@warhead
love your battle reports
nice terrain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:20 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Cool !!  :agree:   Nice use of IG Jump troopers as SoBs !! :agree:       Is Zombo still working on his Sistas' model(s) ?   :rock:              8v)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

ZZzzzzzz *plink!* Huh! Wha'zat?!

*Yawn!*

Sorry guys, I've been so quiet lately. It makes me sad cause I've missed you all (with every shot so far) and you deserve better. I've had hardly any time to myself let alone for Epic or nuthin' I haven't even the time to take a dump, so I do it at work, da' man pays me to take a dump there. I'm sooooo tired I can hardly type. Reason for tiredness, a long baztard commute to work and job. I'll try and drop in from time to time but that's about all I can manage at the mo. Drop me a PM or email if you like.

Thanks for the compliments. I've been thinking I need to get that Gargant vs Titans one finished too and I'll be off a few days soon so might manage it soon.

Anyways, live long and prosper and if you can't get it down yah then get it up yah.

*Yawn!*  ......zzzzzZZZZZZZZ

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:34 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Warhead @ 09 Jul. 2009, 23:04 )

I haven't even the time to take a dump ... Reason for tiredness, a long baztard commute to work and job.

Ive had the same problem, it sucks big time... Nice to see you back anyhow...

Post subject: Re: SoB/PDF vs Daemonic/Cultists (Khorne)
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Good grief... has it been 3 years since I did this..? Seems like only yesterday, maybe I should phone John and dust off some stuff. Glad to see these old reports still around. NetEpic fans sound off so I know who's still playing here.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Welcome back Warphead
still doing Netepic but have a horrible painting blocking ???
Do not paint a model for 3-4 month

Last edited by ulric on Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Warbread..? Heh!

Yup, I haven't painted anything other than the kitchen/bathroom and livingroom etc in years. Sometimes it's good to forget old bad painting habbits and start afresh... so as to pick up new bad painting habbits.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:34 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

You're back....cool. I'm still around; I think I had 3 games last year. None so far this year :(

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:15 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Still keeping track of NetEpic when time permits, I got the gold books when they were first uploaded but never got to the stage of putting them to print as there seemed to be a number of errors and the fixes made in some of the 5.X list weren't taken across into the new books.

No games since leaving Brisbane as Zap was the only other netepic gamer I know and now hes 3400km away. I did play a 2 games of Epic Armageddon last year. I'm planning for this year to be a hobby year where I finish off some armies and terrain.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next