Login |  Register |  FAQ

Forge World Epic 40K casting concern

Post subject: Forge World Epic 40K casting concern
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I had a whip through the excellent proxy post by The_Real_Chris a couple of weeks ago. I was looking for IG proxies. Chris mentioned that Forge World are making cheaper stuff than GW. I really love GW's vehicles models, so I decided I wanted to have some stuff from Forge World (in addition to stuff from other manufacturers.)

So I was all set to order when I bumped into this blog post

http://2ndcitywarzone.blogspot.com/2009....ts.html

which trashes Forge World casting. Now that isn't good news for me since I am Bangladesh and a friend would be bringing the models. It would be a waste of time trying to get the models exchanged, considering post and custom hassle.

I asked about this on TMP and people pointed me to TC. Not surprising since it is the capital of all things Epic.

What has been your recent experience with Forge World?

Cheers

Neil

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

My experiences with Forgeworld have been universally good.

Any poorly-cast miniatures have been replaced, free of charge.

Only once out of errors they've made (over about 4 years of ordering from them) was I even asked to send the miscast model back (which they paid for in any case)... so any miscast components end up as scenery pieces, or similar.

Welcome to Tactical Command.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I would echo E&C's comments, though I have not been ordering from them as long as he (~2.5 yrs). Also keep in mind, which it seems not everyone considers, is that since their models are in resin, warpage can be corrected by heating the component with hot water and straightening.

I'd say go for it.

"Remember Taros? We do"

- 23rd Elysian Drop Regiment

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:51 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Agreed, forge world models ive purchased have been very detailed and well cast. The occasional miscast ive had has been replaced for free, for epic tanks they sent a complete new pack as replacement for just one miscast part. Some parts are warped but this is easy to solve and covered on their website.  

If he got them cheap and second hand maybe they were from a re-caster? or just miscast spares from someone who never asked for replacements.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

also it should be noted that there % misscasts have been drastically reduced lately due to the use of a new type of resin of better quality.

i have also been ordering for awhile and usually in a large order at least a few things needed to be exchanged. my last order, and i always place LARGE orders to avoid shipping costs, was perfect. right down to the epic kroot and grey knights, which are famous for there fragility. :yay:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've purchased a few hundred epic Forge World models and overall have been very happy with them. 95ish% of the kits have been fine and when I've reported the other 5% they've sent entire replacement packs (even things like a whole new pack of superheavies as one of the original ones was missing a tiny turret component), so I've had what I paid for plus the original miscast/missing ones too for spares/scenery/conversions. They're models are very much nicer detailed and designed than most of the clunky ugly GW ones too and I say go for it.

Welcome to the forum btw Neil! :smile:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

About time Neil ... I've been telling those Boyz on TMP for some time now ... this is the place to be for 6mm Sci-fi. Especially Epic ...  :agree:  :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:16 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I purchased maybe around $100 worth of tanks from Forge World about 4 to 8 months ago and to be honest the quality was very poor and I found some of them to be brittle.

I won't be getting there figures every again.

:ooooo:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

On the whole, I have been happy with the Epic & 40K minis from FW.

I have seen eroded detail on some of the popular Imperial models like Chimeras.  Hopefully, this gets addressed with the mould redo FW is working through for Epic.  That being said, all of the Epic Ork models I've picked up from FW have been outstanding.

To be fair, several of the FW issues I've seen or heard of (broken bits, warpage, flash) are medium related.  Resin has limitations and hobbyists who are unfamiliar with it sometimes expect too much.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:50 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've found the stuff I've ordered to be generally pretty good. The only issue I can see is that you say it would be impractical getting replacements if there are problems with your order. FW are always very good about providing replacements for miscast or otherwise defective models, but if getting those replacements to you is going to be a hassle you might want to think twice about ordering.

Would it be possible for your friend to check the figures before he brings them out to you?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:05 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi

Thanks. Very swift responses!

Seems I am going to have to get my friend to check the stuff as it comes in. Hopefully they will be understanding if I'm delayed in picking up any other problems.

Cheers

Neil

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've ordered FW Epic buildings, tanks, giant squiggoths, greyknights and BFG ships. It can take a while for them to arrive here in central Texas (up to 6 weeks for some reason) but they were well worth the wait. The resin strikes me as not quite as durable as metal but the detail is fantastic...I use my FW models more for specialty units or command so the models don't need to do as much work as the others! I hope your order works out fine...I've been VERY happy with mine!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Forgeworld is a bit hit or miss. When they're good they're REALLY good, but unfortunately there's often casting problems. The AI models like the Ork HEavy Bommerz I got were awsome quality and very very crisp detail (well except for a mislabelled pack) However there's some serious issues with many of the IG models. The sides of the Leman Russ tanks have had problems (not mentioning the brittle hull lascannon), Most stuff based on Chimera hulls also have issues on the side armor, and the Super Heavy tanks often have casting problems beneath the sponsons and towards the rear.
When I look at some of the bunker casts I've recieved and compare them to the perfectly cast versions I have to ask who on earth do their quality control. They're usually very good at replacing stuff, but there have been times when I've simply given up complaining and settled for sub par models.

The last models I recieved were the AI ork Bommers and genrerally I believe the new AI models and new resin types have improved quality. However most of my stuff is years old and cast in the older more brittle resin.

Nobody expects the Inquisition!!!
http://theepiclounge.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:15 pm 
Central Texas?