Login |  Register |  FAQ

The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat!

Post subject: The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 7:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

I wasn't sure where to put this thread, but I stuck it in this one, although it applies to all versions.

I was remembering the "good ol days" with an old friend I used to game with and the conversion wandered to those games where one experienced the most crushing defeats and the most exhilirating victories.

So the question are:

Whats your most devastating defeat?

You're most stunning victory?

My most crushing defeat was at the hands of the eldar. I was playing Orks and I learned the hard way what Eldar speed and long range firepower were. I dont remember much of the particulars any more (the shock has erased it from my mind I guess :) ), but I vividely remember my great gargant's ammo dump expolding after a volley from a tempest company. The explosion decimented the nearby Bad moon clan and thus ended my fire support. Aspect warriors mopped up pretty easily after that. Final score Eldar 60, orks 22 (Needed 55 to win).

The most stunning victory was a fluke with die rolls. Murphy's law kicked in big time in that game. I was playing Imperials that day against our resident Ork player. The movement of the first turn went without much fanfare, due to my greater mobility (rough riders and bikes) I managed to secure a larger amount of objectives first (about 5), but that usually meant nothing, since the ones closer to the orks would inevitably be retaken. Once the firing phase, I fired my deathstrikes. I usually take barrage warheads and these did only minor damage (very disappointing). My one warp warhead rolled a 6 meaning I got an extra roll so it would go farther, but it also meant it would detonate that turn. Once the measurements were done the, only a great gargant was in range. Gargants are resilient suckers, I have seen them survive vortex missile blasts, so using a warp missile, I wasn't too enthusiastic of causing it a lot of harm, I resigned myself for a couple of minor fires.

The missile hit and did not scatter, detonating in the ammo. Good place, but on an unscathed great gargant, not that great, unless...you roll a 6. The die was rolled and a 6 appeared, still, no big deal, unless you roll another six you wont get that many fires going. Another 6 was rolled and caused an immediate roll on the fire damage table. No big deal, nothing major would happen unless another 6 was rolled. The die was rolled an another 6 was rolled. At this point all the other games around us stopped, attention was focused on our game now. With that result the great gargant blew up in a major explosion. It was now time to determine the blast radius, the entire goff clan was close by, but only a real high roll would engulf them. The dice were rolled and two 6's appeared! When the dust settled the great gargant and the entire goff clan (the players largest VP yielding clan) was decimated. All the ork player could do in return was destroy a baneblade with a lucky shot. We tallied VP's after the first turn and it was Imperials 56, orks......7! (you needed 55 to win).

Talk about luck :p

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 8:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

- What's your most devastating defeat?

Just about every game I played with the Orks under SM-2 was a devastating defeat. The goal of my games wasn't to win, but to make us all laugh by seeing something odd happen like an Imperial Titan taken out by a Snotling Attack team.

The Eldar could ?be pretty hard to win with as well. One bad move and it was all over.

- Your most stunning victory?

The victory I'm most fond of was taking out a Chaos SM-2 force with SMs. The Chaos player was getting a little beardy taking the best of Imp. units under his Chaos banner (including Rhinos and T-Hawks to transport trolls).

My Ravenwing backed up with some Vindicators and boys won the day in an urban enviroment that favored him heavily. I remember particularly enjoying taking out the Nurgle Primarch guy (the big grim Reaper one, he's Mortarion, right?). My Terminators gave him a really bad day.

I don't want to include E-A games in these counts since the IG Deathstrikes by themselves utterly wasted my last Ork force.

Shalom,

Maksim-Smelchak.

http://6mm-minis.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 12:47 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I remember a Lord of Battles, taking my IG force apart piecemeal !!!  And I even had all my Baneblades bite-the-dust, and IG Spt. Troops failed their DT test and 1/2 drowned (I guess?!)!!! :-:  Also a SM Recon Team (in Land Speeders - SM1 rules) called in a Vortex off-board, on a unit of Squats in a castle :{  game over ... school's out !!!  'nuff said ... I also had some Eldar Tempests use my Squat Cyclops for target practice, it never got a shot off :( ... ouch ... :blush:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 1:11 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Also a SM Recon Team (in Land Speeders - SM1 rules) called in a Vortex off-board, on a unit of Squats in a castle   game over ... school's out !!!  'nuff said ...

Ah, the glories of off-table support. We're thinking of putting that back into epic with version 5.0, although maybe not vortex..... :;):

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 6:41 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well Off-board Vortex were very expensive, so were rarely used. With having a pretty good set of rules, very strongly based on SM1, (and my own experience), we can call in on-board Field Artillery/ fire support and off-board support, in a reasonably realistic way. ? ? Without having it dominate the game and we can still maintain mobility and maneuver. ?We even use Aircraft rules based on the SM1 off-board support method. ?We really didn't like most of the E40K rules for air power. ?We feel the same way about Titans, only one or two per side, if any, in most of our games none are used. ?We feel Titans are like land battle ships equivalent to naval vessels. ?Warhounds = DE/ DDs, Reavers = CL/CAs, Warlords BC/BBs, and Imperators = Super Battle Ships (like the Yamato). ?So these are not always going to be around to be involved in all battles. ?Well enough of my foolish rambling ? :laugh: !!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 4:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well... my best victories were published on the EPICentre, the first being:

http://www.netepic.org/EZINE/html/battl ... ena_vi.htm where in a Marine civil war, I scored 59 with my Dark Angels and my opponent scored 9 with his Word Bearers (standard codex list).

However, in http://www.netepic.org/EZINE/html/chaosvsmarine.htm my Chaos army managed to win in one turn scoring 74 points against the Ultramarines score of 33...

I am excluding EpicA games as they are in trial rules at the moment.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/thenewtonwebb
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/thenewtonwebb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 4:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Being as I dont have any epic opponents, all my games end in a mighty victory for me  :laugh:   (and also a crushing defeat  :D   )

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 2:12 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

One method for their introduction was to not pay for the support, but to "give up" VP's for their use. What I mean is they dont cost points, but award VP's to your opponent for their use. So its a gamble, can I get more VP's by using it than those I am giving up? It makes an balanace issues somewhat bearable.

Shadow Hunter, I know how you feel! :{

It's been over two years without a game or opponents beyond the help my son gives me testing Epic A.

I REALLY need a full fledge epic game now! :l

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 6:38 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well, it's like you said about the Imperator, Primarch, it's so expensive, it affects the number of troops you have on the board. Do I want another det. of AFVs or a Vortex ?  Plus you are not guaranteed of getting it when you want it, you must go thru the call-in procedure. ?And once you get it, it may scatter. ?Also with the Vortex it may move at the end of each turn or dissipate. ?So taking all that into account, it is a gamble, especially if it moves in your direction :-: !!! ?Worst case scenario, it comes in late, misses the target and lands on some of your own troops. :{ ? We also still use HayWire, Blind, Mine Dispenser, Statis, Lt., Med., & Hvy Barrage. ?Amazingly, this is a fairly accurate representation of reality, save for Statis & Vortex (vortex might be a small nuc type device :o ?!). ?I was trained to call-in mortars, FA, gunships, airstikes, naval gun fire & deploy small atomic demo munitions. ?I've done all but the latter two, so I've got a working knowlegde of how fire support functions :D ...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 2:23 pm 
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum but i do have the privilege(?!) of knowing Tom Webb of Netepic fame (?!)...anyway....just wanted to set one little thing straight...this isn't me gloating or anything u understand...but a while back I actually beat Tom on o amonday night at our local wargames club....it was a very close run thing and i'll publish the scores etc on here asap.....hopefully i'll be able to give him a re-match...he'll probably beat me next time round...BUT at least i have the honour of being 'the one' that got away so to speak...putting a blemish on toms PREVIOUSLY unbeaten record :-D  happy gaming peeps!see u around!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 2:27 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi Arkanoid,

What is your real life name?

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/thenewtonwebb
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/thenewtonwebb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 2:39 pm 
A little poor Tom Richard Newton Webb....u gonna pretend it didn't happen?ok so it was VERY close...and maybe u don't wanna admit it...maybe i did get lucky....but i STILL beat u :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 11:27 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Tom, who is this guy?

Perhaps it matters not, he's banned anyway.... ???

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 11:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm not sure that banning him will help, but here's trying...  :blues:

I hope he claims to have destroyed my perfect record too since...

I've NEVER had one!  :D

Not even close!  :{

Seriously, Arkenoid, you sound pretty creepy. If you want to hang out with the epic community online then you'll have to mellow a little bit.

Which army / armies do you play?

Shalom,

Maksim-Smelchak.

http://6mm-minis.blogspot.com/