Login |  Register |  FAQ

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

My thoughts on AI

Post subject: My thoughts on AI
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So you are saying it should be the same height or 1 higher, which is fine. how do you deal with line of sight from a level lower to a target on a plateau?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

No I am not saying that.  F-15Es have provided CAS using the Gatling gun it is just a little scary since the gun is not designed for that.  I would say that a strafing run should be possible the same as any other shooting, just normally the ground is beneath you.  So if an aircraft was attacking say a Hive Wall that was altitudes 0,1,& 2 (yes I know high) that had targets on all levels it would be able to hit all of them with a strafing run - having to choose the target.  The real problem arises with how close to the wall you will have to be and whether or not that wall suddenly becomes the ground/death.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:12 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

OK I think we are talking cross purposes here. So a nice image to make things easier.

So here we go.

Target 1. Hive wall, my guess is you need to be any height up to +1 of the top of the wall, so if the wall is height 4 you have to be 1,2,3,4 or 5. If you were coming from the other direction only 5 would do.

Target 2. Target on the top of a wall or on a cliff edge. you would have to be the same height, 1 higher or 1 less.

Target 3. a target which is on a hill or mesa, which was the target I was originally talking about. This is much harder, there is no way to deal with LOS between a plane and a target as altitude is just dealt with by the dial, I also feel that the difference in height between 2 levels is a lot. Therefore I would say it is impossible to shoot at the target from below as the mesa gets in the way. In this case I would say from the same height or one higher.

The real question is whether Target 2 and 3  can shoot back at planes on the same level or lower, which I can't say. would you allow them too?

Target 4. A blimp tethered to the ground. This one is easy, deal with is the same way as a plane.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:29 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Everything you said makes sense.  On the question of can 2 and 3 shoot at targets on a lower level: 3 definitely can not target anything beneath its altitude.  

2 is a different story, it would depend - normally I think of an AA unit having a half spherical threat area, like the Hydra.  Something like the Manticore or Skyray, given a means to target an aircraft beneath its own radar may be able to target an aircraft beneath it.  
I suppose a battery of Manticores or Skyrays on a Plateau or Hill (3) that blocks line of sight to the aircraft would be able to target the aircraft if it had radars that could draw los (2) to the aircraft and is in the weapons range.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Just got an AI order from F/W ! A T/Hawk, T/Hawk-T w/L/Rdr, Grot Booms, Arvus, Vampire, Phoenix, but my Hvy Flak is back ordered (Damn, you guyz bought'm all up !!!)   I have, all the other F/W Epic aicraft.  All very nice, as many have said in the past. The bigger models have parts inventory sheets too, nice touch. The Grot Bombs are really small !  The ones I don't don't sling under my Bommas' wings, I'll make launchers for and use them as Pulsa Rokkits (as per conversation with Pilot "O" !).  The only thing I was a little disappointed with, was that the L/Rdr has a Huge "mounting bracket" on top of it to glue to the T/Hawk-T hold.  It's so big and covers so much detail, I wouldn't risk cutting it off.  So I'll await for the separate Rhinos & Raider packs ...  Otherwise a very good deal !  :D  I will await my Flak also !  :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The only thing I was a little disappointed with, was that the L/Rdr has a Huge "mounting bracket" on top of it to glue to the T/Hawk-T hold.

Aye, they made the high-detail versions of the Marine Vehicles first, then made conversions of them designed for fitting to Thunderhawk Transporters.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:59 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I figured ... but it is very detailed !  BTW, I've got 7 extra AI "clicky" bases and that TH/W-T Land Raider, for trade or sale !   :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2