Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

How Big is Your Army? - Signius & Size Problems!

Post subject: How Big is Your Army? - Signius & Size Problems!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 10:22 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It's funny that you mention the WWII aspedct of the game. Whe I first got onto it. I always felt It had a WWI feel with some H.G. Wells thrown in for good measure. Over itme I felt it was evolveing into the WWII arena. No offence to anyone but, those ice warriors look like nazi stormtroopers. I am going to take some pics of my unfinished, unpainted army. Just so you know I am not a fibber.  :p

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 10:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yes, many of the figures & models have a real WWII feel to them. The Valhallens could easily pass for Germans on the Russian Front. And the IG AFVs look like they were designed with German WWII vehicles in mind.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 10:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I always thought the Valhallans looked like Russians...

maybe it was just me

Almost Always Right...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 10:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yes, that is a good observation too, in Winter gear the Russians & Germans looked so much a like, they took to wearing different colored arm bands. And changed the color everyday or so for security purposes. ?Might be a nice touch to put arm bands on a Valhallen force, just for some color and uniqueness ? ?Of course in climatic conditions like that, weather is the # 1 enemy ... ?}:)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 11:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

We seem to have the same views on fillers :)

I used to hate seeing stands with one termie and surrounded by for tactical units, it somehow felt...wrong. :(

I did the same thing you did with devastators though, they look pretty aweful mounted 5 to a base, a mix in this case actually looks better.

I use the old "commander" model as veterans (the guys with the big power fist), and mount those 5 to a base, but I think they would also benefit to a mix like the devastators.

Do you have one "mega-chapter" or is it broken down into many chapters?

One reason I never expanded to the same degree you did is that you wind up with way to many tactical companies. I usually like a ratio, with battle companies predominating. Do you feel the the army is "monotonous" due to many tac companies?

Also do you have bikes, dreadnoughts and landspeeders? Drop pods? Tarantulas, thudd guns?

Its interesting you just got into marines, do you like IG too? I have only met another two individuals that have had large collections as we do, one is Tuffskull (see his post) and the other guy who at least then put me to shame. He had a IG army estimated to be in half a million points (this is 1997), hundreds of tanks and you and I would have to combine titan forces to take this guy. For the death of me I cant remember his name, he posted on the original Epicentre guestbook when our original webmaster ran it, that site is gone, so I cant retreive the name. But I have had him "in my sights" for all these years. I finally passed him in sheer weight of points, but I dont think I'd EVER expand one army to that size.

In any event I have a new fellow to arms race with called signius!  :cool:

Signius do you now that total point value of your army? I roughly calculated it at 90k for the troops and roughly 55k for the titans, so roughly 140-150k. Pretty impressive!

I think as far as army expansion I dont think I'll expand any one army beyond 100k, but that in itself is a major undertaking. I still need to add the Tau from scratch (my wallet wails in pain :( )

I view epic more in WWI terms, the tactics and imagery seem more in keeping, slugfest of attrition, lots of siege and trench warfare. While there seems to be mobility, it doesn't seem to be "blitzkrieg like" but more "ponderous rolling machine of death" advance.

While big games are fun, in practical terms smaller games are much better. There is more manuever and tactics. The "mega-games" I have hosted really devolve into headlong rushes. The amount of troops is so massive that precision strikes are not done, everything is more of a "battering ram" style of assault. Not that this is bad, but not something you want to do everyday.

Well, by years end I should be ready for a new inventory, so watch out guys, I'm in the collecting frenzy again. }:)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 11:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

WWI or WWII, I guess it is really a matter of what tactics you use. And tactics in Epic are based on the rules you use and the "expertise" or skill, of the commanders/players. ?Grant would of handled things differently then Meade at Gettysburg and Patton & Monty were always at odds on strategy & tactics. ?The problem comes into Epic play, when one commander is playing WWI tactics and the other WWII, someone is going to be in for a bad day ?:D !!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 11:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

True.

I think also that some tactics are easier executed with some armies than others. Its much easier to play a blitzkreig style strategy with, say, eldar, than with orks. However a battle between the two is most fun, especially if you are the orks, since I think you need to be very crafty to offset the eldar's superior mobility. I once had a long binge of wanting to play orks against an eldar opponent, aminly because I wanted to learn the nuances invloved in such a battle.

Thats the fun part of epic, playing armies of drastically different styles against each other and see what you can come up with to pull out a win.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 11:30 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I have one mega-chapter - A Blood Angel one.

The division of the chapter was a topic I raised in another thread. Hearing the views of others, I decided not to divide up my forces. I don't feel the army is monotonous. I have a plan. Anyway, Most of my stuff is still unpainted so I can alway reassign troops. Yes, I have bikes, Landspeeders, drop pods, Tarantulas, Thud Guns, those little crawly scatter laser guns. I even have some metal Marines manning Mole Mortars. I just haven't counted them up yet. When I do, I will post it here.

I am into IG as well. I am still in the process of building the IG up. I seriously lack troops. I have a decent mechanized force but not very powerful. At last count it was:

------------------------------------

IG "Signius" Division Forces:

- x4 L-Russ MBT companies (new style)
- x1 L-Russ Demolisher company
- x2 L-Russ MBT companies (old style)

- x12 Baneblade companies
- x9 Shadowsword companies
- x2 Stormhammer companies

- x6 Capitol Imperialis
- x6 Hellbores
- x10 Leviathans

- x3 Manticore rocket companies
- x8 Basilisk artillery companies
- x3 Hellhound companies
- x2 AA companies
- x2 Earthshaker fixed batteries

I forgot how many planes per flight or squad but I have:
- x24 Marauders bombers
- x23 Thunderbolt fighters

------------------------------------

I still have to finish counting and gluing them. So I am sure to update at a later date. I will also post the numbers for my buddy's Eldar forces.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:07 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

That's how I feel also, every army has it's own strengths and weaknesses. ?And learning to use each army against different opposing forces in various situations, (terrain, missions,etc.) is one of the reasons I've been involved with Epic for 12 years now. ?It a just real good time... :) and for the most part the models are well done ? :cool: !!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:20 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Your a real Imperial fan!

Yes, troops are a pain to come by. Oddly, unlike what I did with the SM (namely ignoring them), before I realized I had to stop the IG part of my collection I had amassed a little too many IG things, more so with my last shipment which gives me some more leman russ companies than I think I need for now (9-10 companies). I went WAY overboard with the vairant tanks, like demolishers and the forgeworld stuff, I may have as many of those as lemun russ tanks. I'm expanding forces to 50k, then stopping, then making sure others catch up, I think I made it to 65k with IG before I realized my mistake and stopped for the moment.

I made the same "mistake with artillery companies coming in know around 12 companies, its made worse by the fact that long ago at one of those GW sales, I picked up "griffon" blisters at 2 dollars each and now have the equivalent of 5-6 companies, WAY too many artillery pieces.

Too many planes too about 3 dozen of each, although I plan to skim of some of those for marines, oh crap I forgot the forgeworld planes, add another dozen.

Isn't sad when you can even keep an accurate count of what you own? :p

I hear you about the infantry, IG under SM/TL rules is a real infantry hog, needing around 31 stands for ONE company (brutal), I currently have six (picked up two more after the inventory article). I'm currently in a deal to pick up 4 more to close of with ten tac companies (I like round numbers)

If your in a position to do so, perhaps picking up some while they still have supplies may be a good idea, trying to make one SM tac company in metal may be somewhat expensive (then again who are we kidding, I dont think either of us worries much about cost, otherwise we would have quit long ago! :laugh: )

You seem to be in the same situation I was with super heavies, I had a crapload of shadow swords and baneblades, I kept around 6-8 companies and traded off the excess for plastic infantry, you might want to do the same, those super heavies are quite popular.

As far as eldar, the last deal I made actually landed me with a lot of eldar stuff (about 1400 dollars retail for just shy of 600 bucks), so I dont have a good grasp on how much I expanded that force, but about half of it was all eldar. I still got all those sprues from second edition boxed sets, so strangely plastics are not a problem, I'm into the metal mostly. I dont want any more titans 26 are more than enough (and I hate the new ones, bleh :p )

My two priorities for now, are tyranids on one hand and SM on the other, as I said previosuly, the SM are easy since those sprues seem to fall in my lap without looking for them, but those are just the tacs, I'll need to search hard for varied plastics. Should be hard, one good thing about where I live (Puerto Rico) is that people dont stick with hobbies long and I have been getting in touch with old acquiantances. YOu wouldn't beleive the amount of FREE stuff I'm getting since for the most part they are treated as "garbage"

As they say one mans trash is another mans treasure :)

Too bad I dont live close to you signius, with the amount of terrain and tables I have we could easily set up a 200k+ battle, now THAT would be cool! :O

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 2:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

How pathetic do I feel now after all these posts??! :laugh:

Wow!! What more can I say...........

I just have the contents of the SM2 set, some more Knights, Space Marines, and some Eldar frames to build! I quite fancy getting some FW superheavies and other IG tanks soon. Deary me....

My BFG Imperials are nice and big tho, but I know there are many, many people with *hmmm* far, far more than me... lol :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 2:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

You're not the only one feeling inferior  :o

I currently own a larger Eldar force than any other race. Not the quantities you guys have (probably about 10000pts in epic40K).  I am trying to build an Ork force though, I'm up to around 2500pts in EpicA.  Not much, I know, but I've only just started.

I do have some Imperial Guard (well its my brothers, but since he's in the army its as good as mine  :angry:   ) and marines (my brothers again).  I dont really see myself buying very big forces though, considering I dont currently have any opponents.

I'm working on that though.  :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 4:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well since I collect all the armies, (since SM1 in '90) including Squats, Tau, and Traitor, I have 1 or 2 det. of each type & version of vehicles. ? I can field Allied Forces fighting side-by-side, like Squats along side IG or SM, Orks with Chaos, even Eldar with Squats & Imperium Forces. ?SM1 makes provisions for all this, even having rules for the traditional "mistrust" between the Squat & Eldar. ?Of course no one allies with the 'Nids :laugh: ?And we may have to go to the UN or UFP to see where the Tau & Kroot stand ?:D !?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 5:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I know I don't have the forces like what are been talked about, but I thought I would post the following pics which shows the majority of my Ork forces

and

I have a heap of unpainted stuff, but that doesn't go near the gaming table (my view).

I also don't subscribe to the one Termie per stand concept either.... it's all Termies or no Termies...

:blues:

Almost Always Right...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 7:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I don't want to think of how much Epic stuff I have... probably too much at any rate. I have hundreds if not thousands of SM infantry to build. :o

If I ever build and paint all of my Epic infantry then I'll probably take my last breath! }:)

My collection probably rivals Primarchs, but more of mine is painted. :p

I'm working on building up my collection of painted Orks for E-A. I want to have a very nicely painted army in case E-A makes it to the tournament level. I'll be building Imperials next (probably Armageddon IG). ?:cool:

My largest nicely painted force is Eldar (with tens of Titans painted and probably well over a hundred nicely painted infantry stands as well as knights and a ton of vehicles). ?:)

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.

http://6mm-minis.blogspot.com/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next