Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

How Big is Your Army? - Signius & Size Problems!

Post subject: How Big is Your Army? - Signius & Size Problems!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 3:38 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

You have been gracious in answering my questions about restricting my army size. I am curious.

What size army are you using?

As it stands at the present. Unfinished.

- My Space Marines consist of:

- x20 Tactical SM companies (old beakies)
- x20 Tactical SM companies (not beakies) :p
- x20 Tactical SM reserve companies
- x5 Veteran SM companies
- x6 Battle SM companies
- x5 Devastator SM companies
- x5 Assault SM companies
- x6 Terminator SM Companies

- x20 Landraider companies
- x8 Whirlwind companies
- x3 Predator companies
- x1 Razorback company
- x1 Vindicator company

- Way too many Rhinos to count
- I still have hundreds of SM troops unassigned.

- My Adeptus Mechanicus force stand at:

- x15 Warhounds
- x12 Reavers
- x40 Warlords (Beetlebacks)
- x1 Warlord (new Robotech style)

- x4 Imperator
- x1 Warmonger

- x4 Ordinatus Mars
- x2 Ordinatus Golgotha
- x2 Ordinatus Armageddon

Ok, am I insane?

I haven't even tried to figure what the point value is yet. I would like some ideas about how to organize my army.

Should I split it up?

IG forces I am having trouble organizing. I do not want to follow the 40k rule of "shriking" the army.

Should I count the Catachan Jungle Fighters as infantry or special forces?

I know Valhallan Ice Warriors fall under regular infantry.

Let me know your thoughts, please.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 10:18 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Can you break down the size of you "companies," then I will tell you if you are mad... :)

Cheers,
Chris.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 10:44 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Can you break down the size of you "companies," then I will tell you if you are mad...
- Chris.

Ah, ok.

- Space Marine companies consist of three six-man squads + one command.

- SM Vehicle companies consist of three vehicle squads + one command.

- IG infantry companies forces are three ten-man platoons + two command.

- IG Heavy Weapons companies consists of three five-man platoons and two command.

Speaking of IG, I am still in the middle of trying to cobble together a decent force, but as it currently stands, it consists of:

- x5 Old trooper (Codex Grey) companies
- x3 Catchan companies (unless I hear otherwise)
- x7 Valhallan Ice Warrior companies
- x12 Heavy Weapons IG companies

- x? Ogryn Companies
- x7 Ratling companies
- x7 Beastmen companies
(I have to confess that I cheated on the Beastmen to include some of the older chaos Beastmen. I didn't realize I would wind up with so many) ?:p

So, it would seem that I need some troopers.

I still have yet to assemble the rest of my stuff. I will count the IG mechanized units and let you know. I know that I have a very large mechanized force.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 5:16 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I have been collecting Epic since SM-1 in '90 and I have all the armies, including the Squats, Traitor SMs and now the Tau & Kroot (from F/W). ?

So I keep my force size to a minimum with 1 or 2 detachments of each type vehicle and lots & lots of infantry, if for no other reason than it came in the box and I have a predilection for Grunts :D !!! ?

That being said, with some (many) vehicles having 3-5 versions released (including F/W) over the years, that still gives me a lot AFVs of all types. So I'd say you have a Huge force :o !!! ?

And I've noticed, based on the rule system you use (SM-1, SM-2, etc.), your basic force level structure varies. SM-2 fielded larger units than SM-1, and E-40K smaller than E-A ??? ? ?

So that's another consideration in force development. I say go for it and make your forces as big or as small as you like, based on the rules your gaming crew uses and personal tastes... :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 5:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The reason I asked about the size of companies is that the way I look at companies for my chapter are:

- 10 tanks = company
- 20 stands + 1 or 2 command = Infantry/Scout/Reserve etc. company

I have some other bits as well (Land Speeders, Bikes, etc.)

Also, I use Epic 40,000 detachment cards/rules.

Cheers,
Chris.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 12:51 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Signius, you are NOT insane. I consider you force of moderate size and pretty conservative.

IF you want the TRUE meaning of insanity, you need not go far. Visit the Epic 40k.com main page (or this same page above) and click the "your armies" link and go to the "peter's HUGE armies" link.

I am willing to wager after reading this article and seeing whats there you will NEVER worry about being insane or having to many figs.

I promise!

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 2:07 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I am curious as to what you mean by his insanity. Are you basing it on the fact that he has 9 armies?

I would probably consider that pretty insane. However, his Space Marine and Imperial Titan forces don't even come close to mine.

So, I do not understand the conservative part of your comment. I am confused. Please explain. ?:oo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 2:14 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ok, the obvious next question is "how many of these minis do you actually use in a game?"

If that wierd guy Peter actually uses his full 75,000 point armies, well then surely he IS insane...

It took me and my friends all of the day and some of the night to finish a game using 5000-6000 (SM-2 ed.) point armies, so I guess a game more than ten times that size would take about 2 weeks to finish?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 4:22 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

You know something? I reread your original post and instead of "companies," I understood "detachments." Now that I recalculated, yup, congratulations, I finally found someone as crazy as me! Your SM army is pretty darn huge! :p

- Of course, I am assuming these are old school SM/TL sized companies (19 stands per SM company, 10 vehicles per company)?

- Also under the old rules, there were no Predator companies for SM or Whirlwind companies, are these ten models each too?

At least now I can gleefully break out of storage my "unassembled stache" to see if I can match it.

The Tactical SM companies are easy, I have several boxes full of original AT-1 era SM Tacticals, Rhinos and Land Raiders, so there's no lack there.

Specialty models like Terminators and Assault SM are more difficult.

- Did you mount five Terminator/Assault models per base or just one with Tacticals as filler?

I'm always interested in how people approach this. I use the more painful (i.e dumb) approach and fitted 5 Termies/Assault/Veterans per stand so my available pool was exhausted pretty fast.

You have a lot of Imperial Titans!

Once I update my inventory for my newer acquisitions, we'll have about the same amount of Reavers and Warhounds, but I'll need about ten more Warlords to catch up with you!

But I tend to dilute mine out to chaos and that was the purpose I picked up more of them, since I only had about 4-5 for chaos (fortunately my bitz box is well stocked with chaos tails and heads).

- Out of curiosity, why so many of one army and not diversify?

One of the reasons I stopped expanding SM, was because I wanted to expand other armies. Of course, I think I expanded other armies too much (like the IG and Orks), while neglecting others. Admittedly (as I state on the article), I think I neglected SM too long and my next project is to expand it. Your post has increased my enthusiasm to do so!

In any event thanks a bunch for the post! It's a rare thing for me to find other players who collect on a truely EPIC scale. Kudos, Signius!

Oh by the way the arms race is ON!

Brother-Captain Parzval,

Yep, I'm truely wierd, because I have run games with many points per side the last one I ran was between 40-50 thousand points PER SIDE (over three 6 foot long tables). These games where run at the local game shop as participation games. Set-up was done the night before (set up alone lasted around 5-6 hours), but the games were finalized conclusively in about the same time (5-6 hours).

- How? Easy, I got at least 4-8 players per side and I would keep roaming the tabletop as an umpire to settle disputes and keep the game flowing and not bog down.

All my previous games of this size have lasted a similar amount of time, but thats because I prepare beforehand and limit non-game conversation (in addition to simultaneous play, which means players on both sides of the table, although opposite ends take their turns according to initiative, so there is no "waiting" by any player, this greatly speeds play).

I have run several games like this over the years, but I have not done so recently (last one was in 1997). I have one game planned, one for 100K per side, the combined forces of the Imperium versus either chaos or Tyranids, since I acquired another 100,000 points recently, mostly of Tyranids and chaos. I am closing in on that target number (I've done so with Imperial forces already).

Of course big games like that take a lot out of you due to sheer organization and length of time umpiring. It takes about 6 years for me to gather enough strength to "try it" again. But when I do so, I'll definitely take pictures! :)

Well, haven't felt this enthused about renewing my insane quest for a long time. Whats that quest you ask?

ONE MILLION EPIC POINTS! :p

I'm currently over half a million, so I guess I'm not that far off! :l

Thanks!

Primarch.

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 4:28 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Oops! I saw you already answered the organization question (you use Second Edition company card numbers too!).

Thanks for the info!

Primarch.

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 6:30 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah ok,

I use the first cards and rules from the SM-2 and TL.

- x19 stand infantry companies
- x10 tank or vehicle companies.

Now as far as organization goes, I use all stands of one type. Five Termies to a stand. Five Assault to a stand. The only exceptions are heavy weapons and vets. I tend to do two or three and two tac fillers. I hate fillers. Though, I had to convince myself to do it. I reasoned, a Devastator Marine would have need of short range fire support if an enemy were in too close. With vets I just figure some have helmets and some don't. Anyway, I am painting shoulder pads to indicate rank.

So, an arms race is it?

To answer your other question of why my concentration narrowed. First, I don't like the other armies. I just couldn't get into chaos. I got rid of all my chaos stuff. Orks are too low-tech for me. Again, I am getting rid of my Ork stuff. Those bio-type guys, I am just not into. The Tau seem interesting.

Secondly, I am already involved in an arms race against my buddy, BudaKP's, Eldar force.

Cool, I have something to look forward to.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 2:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

OMG, it looks like I'm seriously outgunned here...

But then again, I rather like smaller games, and I tend to paint rather slowly, so even if I wanted to, I could never collect an army above... say 10,000 to 15,000 points.

I would love to see some pictures of a 100,000 point game though!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 5:43 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

We also prefer 3000-4000 points using the SM-1 force levels. ?

Battalion level operations with a lot maneuver, combined arms actions where the art & science of warfare can be demonstrated. Plus size of gaming area, storage, time, etc. all comes into play.

And as I said, I collect all the armies, so it does come down to the question raised before, how many do you need to have a game? (Or how many Dark Angels can dance on the head of a pin :laugh: ?!) ?

We see and believe that J.J. designed Epic to be a WWII type game of mobile warfare (Who knows what evil lurks within the heart of G/W :o !!?). So HUGH games take on the appearance of the ACW, instead of mid-twentieth century mechanized warfare. ?

Maybe my previous experience with wargames since 1970 and then 10 + years as an Infantry Officer ('79-'90) has tainted my perception.

So as always, do your own thing it's a big galaxy :) ! ?

Besides what do I know...

I could be wrong, Jervis may be a closet Civil War buff ??? ? ?

Let the games begin and pass the hardtack... :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 7:07 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I used to love topics like this. With an overall Imperial army of approximately 400K (SMII system) of IG/SM + a handful of titans! I think I maxed out at 70K of Orks, and had 10K-15K of everything else. I got it mostly very cheap. There was 14 of us who played when SMII came out and we all had good sized collections. They all gave up as we got older (gave in to peer pressure but somehow I never tried to be "cool"...
:-: ) and I bought their collections one by one at a fraction of the cost.

As far as painted stuff goes, I used to have 125K of IG painted (mostly grey guard) + 3 complete Chapters of marines (Blood angels, Space Wolves and Emperor's eagles) and a load of extras. It was all terrible though as up until 3 years ago all i wanted to do was game and didnt care!

My biggest ever game was 92K per side Imperial Vs Orks&Chaos played on the floor as we simply didnt have a table or other area large enough. We made it last pretty much all of a half term (10 days!) but it was interspersed with plenty of other stuff.

But these days these threads are a little more depressing. My collections have shrunk immensly in more recent years due to a quite simple need for cash! I'm down to around (estimates...) 40K(I know, pun not intended...)of Imperials and 25K of Orks. Eldar army is minimal since I sold my Iyanden(5K if lucky), similar with my 'Nids (which i sold, restarted the army painting it real nice, needed cash so sold again and now have probably 5K or less!), Sold all my squats(DOH!), Chaos is slowly rebuilding (but I'm going overboard on conversions so its taking far too long!) and thats about it other than a small Tau force but this get regularly "re-set" as I have to sell my painted bits and replace them with new ones.

On the up side, I like to think that the small portions of the above which I now have painted look rather nice and I'm always proud to get out my miniatures so I guess I've swapped quantity for Quality!

http://hobbybrush.blogspot.com - My Hobby Blog
TuffSkull's notepad- My Old Blog on Wargames Wiki.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 9:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Good to hear from you T/S! ?

Between the Epic-A and Forge World releases, We'll all be kept busy, buying, selling (off extra), painting and trying to game.

I'm all for quality over quantity, and that's what I'm going for, but it's a "Wicked World" we live in... :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next