Login |  Register |  FAQ

First attampt at a 2000 points Steel Legion list

Post subject: Re: First attampt at a 2000 points Steel Legion list
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:05 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Abetillo wrote:
Yannic1982 wrote:

Allright, so change one of the Baneblades to a Shadowsword then? or change both of them to Shadowswords?

I said before to test both to be familiar with them as you could end up using both even if the Shadowsword is more useful, or for sure if you play 4000+ points games and you like Super Heavies in general.

So, to summarize again, do whatever you prefer save if you plan to go to tournaments, but I suppose we should have asked you that first. ::)

Allright got it! Thanks. As for tournaments, not really planning on doing them, so for now its just me and my mate

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:07 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Apocolocyntosis wrote:
at 3k i'd say make both shadowswords, possible that at 2k keeping 1 baneblade would have some utility. Adding to what others have said BB is an all round *and* slow. The SS is the same speed but does all it's work at long range, so no problem.

If you go RHQ+Tank coy then yes, probably locked to 6 activations at 2k. If you're playing no air, then tank coy is probably at an advantage vs a standard tournament 3000pt scenario as no risk of marines flying thunderhawks into them.
A couple of spam activation sentinels can be more use than they might first appear though, once you get the hang of just how strong the scout rule is and how key activation advantage can be – their value is not in combat ability.

Would swap the basilisks for manticores though.

I've been working on some other lists and started to like the Baran Siegemasters list a lot. On the previous page is a list I made and I've made several variants so far. Its more of a footslogger list then steel legion but it has a very nice WW1 feel.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:21 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

There are a few things working against you for activations at 2K with steel legion, the only way to do it is with aircraft (common) or another core formation, which means you end up very infantry heavy - which barans are probably better at. At 3K it's normal for steel legion to want sentinels, hydras and thunderbolts which frees up points for the tank coy and reg hq. Otherwise these 2 formations eat up the majority of your points. You're saving a bit on hydra upgrades

I wouldnt worry about it. Your opponent will have concerns of his own, especially if you're playing marines without either air or titans (warhounds). You'll be fine.

Regarding BBs, play a game with them. They have been buffed so are arguably not the pariah of of the list. You may find they dont get to do anything all game, just because of their speed and range. This is why people prefer shadowswords, although really they're a different type of unit. The SS is something high value targets (other war engines, especially unshielded super heavies) want to hide from.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:11 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah, for a 2k. List I've switched to Siegemasters. I guess steel legion needs a bit more points to work the way I want to. For now I guess I'm doing a siegemasters list and take it from there.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:35 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah, for a 2k. List I've switched to Siegemasters. I guess steel legion needs a bit more points to work the way I want to. For now I guess I'm doing a siegemasters list and take it from there.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:09 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

2k is an an unusual points to play, it’s sort of in what’s considered a bit of a dead zone in as much as it’s on the very bottom limit of what the army lists are balanced for so options are limited and playing the standard scenario it’s not really any quicker than 2750pts.

But thinking about this, Siege Masters are a great choice to play at 2k. It’ll be harder to break the list with tar pits, lots of activations, and board control which will also mean they won’t play too slowly (a normal Baran problem); and the list does lean towards being cheap so all its options are still open to you (unlike Steel Legion for example). I think I might try it out myself sometime!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:22 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

RugII wrote:
2k is an an unusual points to play, it’s sort of in what’s considered a bit of a dead zone in as much as it’s on the very bottom limit of what the army lists are balanced for so options are limited and playing the standard scenario it’s not really any quicker than 2750pts.

But thinking about this, Siege Masters are a great choice to play at 2k. It’ll be harder to break the list with tar pits, lots of activations, and board control which will also mean they won’t play too slowly (a normal Baran problem); and the list does lean towards being cheap so all its options are still open to you (unlike Steel Legion for example). I think I might try it out myself sometime!

Well we're looking at quick games, hence lower points since time is a serious constraint unfortunately. Since 2k is generally considered to be the bottom end of the points range we decided to first try that. It also reduces the number of models we have to make off course. Although you still get quite a lot with the Baran list to be honest!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:30 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

I'm a fan for 2k for a quick evening game, but you might want to make the playing area a bit smaller (narrower).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:43 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Apocolocyntosis wrote:
I'm a fan for 2k for a quick evening game, but you might want to make the playing area a bit smaller (narrower).

I was hoping we could get by with a 3x4 foot gaming board. That would make 2k ideal for us. Not looking to go play at tournaments anytime soon, so its just me and my mate. We are pretty competitive though.