Login |  Register |  FAQ

First attampt at a 2000 points Steel Legion list

Post subject: First attampt at a 2000 points Steel Legion list
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:32 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi guys,

I've just joined these lovely forums! I'm a veteran wargamer wjo used to play a lot of GW games back in the day ( 90-00) but started to drift away from GW after a while. I've recently gotten a 3D printer ( an elegoo mars) and the first thing I did was revive Battlefleet Gothic by printing an ork fleet.

While looking for files I rediscovered Epic. I never played back in the days, but I've always found it interesting.

So right now, me and my regular opponent are looking to get into Epic. We play to mostly 3D print our armies to keep cost low but mostly for the fun of it.

So long story short, I'm trying to build a few armies to get a feel of the amount of miniatures we need. So I would like some feedback on the list below:

Incompertus, 2000 POINTS
Steel Legion (NetEA Army Compendium v2014)
==================================================

REGIMENTAL HQ [550]
Supreme Commander, 12 Infantry, 7 Chimera, Griffon Battery (3 Griffons)

TANK COMPANY [650]
9 Leman Russ, Vanquisher

ROUGH RIDER PLATOON [150]
6 Rough Riders

ARTILLERY BATTERY [250]
3 Basilisks

SUPER-HEAVY TANK PLATOON [200]
Baneblade

Baneblade

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: First attampt at a 2000 points Steel Legion list
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Glad to see your account got approved and you are beginning with EA.

About the list, it sounds good. It will be maybe a bit harder to master it, but for the first games sounds more than enough. Also, even though Supreme Commanders are not that important at those points while still not uncommon, it will help you to make your first games a lot more enjoyable.

I would just change one Baneblade for a Shadowsword on the second or third game so you can add more variety to the rules, and for the fourth replace the Baneblade and the Griffons with a Marauder formation.

You wrote on Facebook your usual adversary would be Marines. If you find any issues with the games put here the list and how and how big the terrain pieces you use are and we will advice you.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hello,

Thanks. I could drop the supreme commander for a normal mechanised infantry compay though. Not really sure about the commander.
So overall this is a good amount of activations? Whats the advantage of a shadowsword over a Baneblade?
The griffons are more a points filler though.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:06 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Welcome to the forums and playing Epic :) It's a great game!

You seem to be using an out of date army list there and the points have changed slightly since (IG Regimental HQ now costs 450 not 500).

There’s a geographical divergence in what Epic army lists people use - if you’re a UK player use the Epic UK tournament army lists - http://epic-uk.co.uk/wp/army-lists/ If you’re elsewhere in the world use the Net-EA tournament pack army lists instead - https://tp.net-armageddon.org/ Both sets of army lists are balanced fine and mostly similar but use whichever is normally used in your geographical area. The game rules are the same across the world, it’s just the army lists that diverged many years ago between the different groups.

3-4 activations per 1,000 points is often recommended as a good guide.

Shadowswords are probably the best individual unit in the Guard list and one of the best units in Epic entirely. Baneblades are ok but a bit trickier to get the best use of. One or each could be better than two Baneblades.

The supreme commander is normally worth taking in a Guard list for that re-roll.

You have no anti aircraft attacks in your list but I'm guessing you and your opponent are not using aircraft for your first few games while learning the rules? Normally you'd want at least a couple of Hydras for AA but ok to skip these if not using aircraft initially.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yannic1982 wrote:
Hello,

Thanks. I could drop the supreme commander for a normal mechanised infantry compay though. Not really sure about the commander.

No, no. What i said was the opposite, that you should keep it, specially for the first games and higher points games.

GlynG wrote:

You seem to be using an out of date army list there and the points have changed slightly since (IG Regimental HQ now costs 450 not 500).

It is how it is in Army forge, so probably that change was not added yet.

It is 475 in the latest TP, but i do not remember that change being discussed at all. I suppose it got buried in the posts about the Baneblade and Bombard.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

alright so that gives me something to play with. I choose baneblades because I thought these were the basic variant of the chassis and probably a good allrounder. I can change them to shadowswords I guess. What makes the Shadowsword so much better then the baneblade though?
Right now, we are not using aircraft. They will probably be added later on, together with AA.

I'm using Armyforge to quickly build armies. We are in Europe, so we will probably go with NetEA, which I thought this was.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yannic1982 wrote:
alright so that gives me something to play with. I choose baneblades because I thought these were the basic variant of the chassis and probably a good allrounder. I can change them to shadowswords I guess. What makes the Shadowsword so much better then the baneblade though?
Right now, we are not using aircraft. They will probably be added later on, together with AA.

Because it is an all rounder, and the Shadowsword fits into a role the Baneblade cannot compete with. Like Glyng said, it is not bad, but the role of the Baneblade can be accomplished with others but none can do Shadowsword's job, so if having the option of the two one would take the Shadowsword.

A different matter is if you choose companies of Super Heavies or take lots in general. Then the Shadowsword's role is fulfilled with a few and it is better to take Baneblades for the rest.

Last edited by Abetillo on Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:06 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote:
We are in Europe, so we will probably go with NetEA, which I thought this was.

it is, the only thing that changes form group to group is the balance of the lists. other than that we all use epic Armageddon. I would recommend NetEA as it has more list than any separate branch(especially if you go with guard).

On top of that 6 activations at 2k is low. The leman russ company is an excellent formation at 3k imo, but at 2k its a bit much, I would change it to a infy company and pick up some more support and maybe throw in a warhound if you wanna try titans out.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

kingzog wrote:
On top of that 6 activations at 2k is low.

It depends also at how many activations the meta on your area is, but it is within the recommended numbers. Also it is not a good idea to try Titans for the first games.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:16 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

kingzog wrote:
Quote:
We are in Europe, so we will probably go with NetEA, which I thought this was.

it is, the only thing that changes form group to group is the balance of the lists. other than that we all use epic Armageddon. I would recommend NetEA as it has more list than any separate branch(especially if you go with guard).

On top of that 6 activations at 2k is low. The leman russ company is an excellent formation at 3k imo, but at 2k its a bit much, I would change it to a infy company and pick up some more support and maybe throw in a warhound if you wanna try titans out.

I think EUK have more tournament approved lists overall than NetEA at the moment! It’s worth checking!

NetEA can play against EUK lists without a problem at all so I really wouldn’t worry about it, usually they’ll have exactly the same models and numbers in, the differences are usually very subtle.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Abetillo wrote:

Because it is an all rounder, and the Shadowsword fits into a role the Baneblade cannot compete with. Like Glyng said, it is not bad, but the role of the Baneblade can be accomplished with others but none can do Shadowsword's job, so if having the option of the two one would take the Shadowsword.

A different matter is if you choose companies of Super Heavies or take lots in general. Then the Shadowsword's role is fulfilled with a few and it is better to take Baneblades for the rest.

Allright, so change one of the Baneblades to a Shadowsword then? or change both of them to Shadowswords?

kingzog wrote:

I was building for 3-4 activations per 1000 points, which seems to be the norm. I really like having tanks arround so that why I included the Leman Russ company. What would you exchance it for? A normal infantry company with support units?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Being trying some other guard lists, but I can get something reasonably above 6 activations to be honest. Other then spamming sentinels or super heavy tanks, which don't seems like a pretty good idee to be honest!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:21 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

at 3k i'd say make both shadowswords, possible that at 2k keeping 1 baneblade would have some utility. Adding to what others have said BB is an all round *and* slow. The SS is the same speed but does all it's work at long range, so no problem.

If you go RHQ+Tank coy then yes, probably locked to 6 activations at 2k. If you're playing no air, then tank coy is probably at an advantage vs a standard tournament 3000pt scenario as no risk of marines flying thunderhawks into them.
A couple of spam activation sentinels can be more use than they might first appear though, once you get the hang of just how strong the scout rule is and how key activation advantage can be – their value is not in combat ability.

Would swap the basilisks for manticores though.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yannic1982 wrote:

Allright, so change one of the Baneblades to a Shadowsword then? or change both of them to Shadowswords?

I said before to test both to be familiar with them as you could end up using both even if the Shadowsword is more useful, or for sure if you play 4000+ points games and you like Super Heavies in general.

So, to summarize again, do whatever you prefer save if you plan to go to tournaments, but I suppose we should have asked you that first. ::)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:12 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So I have been thinkering with several Imperial Guard lists to get my activations above 6. Which turns out pretty hard to do. I've managed to get this list together which has 8 activations. However it is a lot slower lost then my steel legion list, becaise I based it on the Siege masters list. Not sure if it is better then my other list.

Incompertus, 2000 POINTS
Baran Siege Masters (NetEA Tournament Pack (2018-09-17) )
==================================================

REGIMENTAL HQ [300]
Supreme Commander, 9 Siege Infantry, Siege Infantry Platoon (6 Siege Infantry)

INFANTRY COMPANY [250]
Commander, 9 Siege Infantry, Siege Infantry Platoon (6 Siege Infantry)

INFANTRY COMPANY [175]
Commander, 9 Siege Infantry

ARTILLERY COMPANY [425]
9 Götterdämmerung Howitzers, 9 Gun Emplacements

HEAVY TANK PLATOON [300]
6 Ragnarok Heavy Tanks

LIGHT TANK PLATOON [150]
6 Siegfried Light Tanks

Shadowsword

Shadowsword