Login |  Register |  FAQ

My First 3k Tau list - any opinions

Post subject: My First 3k Tau list - any opinions
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi,

I'm completely new to epic, never played a game of it or even seen a game played. I'm looking to get started at what better way the jumping in full on with a 3000pt Tau list - what could possibly go wrong :P

anyway what do you think of this - built using the Army forge site thingy which I have just discovered

The chap I'll be playing against has also never played before and is currently debating between Nids, Orks and Dark Eldar

I'm fully expecting to be told that the below is I hot mess but then I'll have a better idea of what might work in future.

Also if my fiend allows I plan on swapping out the Ion head hammer head formation for 3 rip tides and adding some gun drones somewhere to make up the extra 25 points

I wont be buying it all at once either as tempting as it is, I need to see how tiny 6mm chaps actually are first

cheers

Incompertus, 3000 POINTS
Tau Third Phase Expansion (6.8 Approved)
==================================================

CRISIS BATTLESUIT CADRE [400]
5 XV8 Crisis Battlesuit, 2 Gun Drone units, Shas'o

FIRE WARRIOR CADRE [475]
8 Fire Warriors, 3 XV88 Broadsides, 2 Pathfinders, 1 Devilfish

CRISIS BATTLESUIT CADRE [300]
5 XV8 Crisis Battlesuit, Shas'el

RECON SKIMMER GROUP [175]
6 Tetra

AX-1-0 SQUADRON [350]
2 Tiger Shark AX-1-0

PATHFINDER GROUP [275]
4 Pathfinders, 2 Devilfish, 3 Piranhas

STEALTH GROUP [225]
6 XV15 Stealth Units

ARMOUR SUPPORT GROUP [425]
4 Hammerhead Gunship (Railhead), 2 extra Hammerhead Gunships (Rail- or Fusionhead), Skyray

ARMOUR SUPPORT GROUP [375]
4 Hammerhead Gunships (Ion- or Fusionhead), 2 extra Hammerhead Gunships (Ionhead), Skyray

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: My First 3k Tau list - any opinions
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:22 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Welcome to the game :) The list seems reasonable though is on the low end of the recommended amount of activations (3 to 4 per 1,000 points played at a good ball park for most armies).

You're a bit too light on anti-aircraft ability, particularly as you're investing in expensive A-X-10s you'll want to keep alive. I'd swap the Pathfinders attached to your Fire Warriors for one more Skyray. Deploy the 3 Broadsides in a triangle around the tank so that whichever direction the formation gets attacked from the first AT hit (or preferably two) will go on the LV Broadsides first.

Including Piranhas in the Recon formation is a good idea as they have better shooting and you only need one markerlight in range of an enemy formation to get the bonus. Many people use 1 Tetra and 5 Piranhas and I occasionally see 3 Piranhas and 3 Tetras as with half scouts in the unit the formation can then garrison forward.

I'd probably drop the Piranhas attached to the Pathfinders and one Hammerhead from each tank formation and squeeze one more formation in (Kroot or one more Recon as preferred).

Personally I find Crisis Suits a bit expensive for what they do and prefer to take more Fire Warriors instead. Perhaps others find them more useful enough, might come down to playstyle.

Profile Send private message