Login |  Register |  FAQ

Army List Status?

Post subject: Army List Status?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:56 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

It's alive!

In a bit of synchronicity Dave emailed me the other day, shortly after I'd had to dig though a bunch of my GW stuff, and then another friend contacted me about more GW stuff. I thought I'd check in.

I saw the NetEA Tournament Pack and it still looks great but i have questions about some of the lists that were in development when I dropped off. There were several which I thought would have had enough testing to make the cut by this point. Some were ones I was working on, so I understand it probably would have taken a while before someone else decided to jump in.

I saw a reference in one of the threat titles to a 2016 Army List compendium but I couldn't turn it up in a search. I assume it probably has answers to a lot of my questions about how developed the various lists are.

Can someone point me to the compendium?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Army List Status?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

A legend returns!

I don't believe there's been an actual compendium since the 2014 one, but as far as I'm aware all the approved lists are here: http://www.tp.net-armageddon.org/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:06 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Attachment:
what-kind-of-sorcery-is-this.jpeg
what-kind-of-sorcery-is-this.jpeg [ 62.4 KiB | Viewed 5951 times ]

Whoa this is like Elvis walking into the diner you're eating at! ;D

There's no 2016 compendium. The effort required in pulling together rapidly changing lists had a really low ROI. Dave's been toying with a process to help create them using the same CMS system he does with the TP but that's not come to fruition. I'm sure he's able to give you all the gory details.

For Marines you can get the overview of what's happening with lists at NetEA, EpicUK, and EpicAU (plus all the current fan lists) right from here.

The other ACs have their own organizational system so I will let them weigh in on their areas of responsibility.

if you have specific questions please ask.

Also which lists in particular, btw?

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:23 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Awesome! Thanks so much, guys. Maybe the "2016" was an army reference that I misread.

There were several lists that I thought could have made it by this point. So many seemed close.

SM - Raven Guard and Black Templars had been getting a lot of testing.
IG - Always popular, I would have thought Elysians or Cadians.
Ork - I expected OGBM to be in there with the AMTL.
Chaos - Any of the other cult legions might have gotten over the hump.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

No there was discussion about trying to pull together a 2016 version. I even was willing to proverbially "fall on the sword" to manually produce one, largely based on the sheer volume of queries I handled here and on the various Epic facebook groups about the confusion regarding the delta of 2014 and the then current dev thread list (assuming we're talking NetEA-which we are :D ). In addition, many of the Compendium lists were actually rebooted so were only the same list by chance of name (more on those below). I still might actually try and do that manual construction again or see if perhaps I can swing some programmer time Dave's way to assist seeing how we can leverage the CMS and Army Forge to generate documents.

tl;dr
no you're not misreading anything, mate
incidentally compendiums and supplements are here=> http://www.net-armageddon.org/

OK I can give you the inside skinny on several of those lists.
1. Raven Guard was a ground up reboot by Dave. Pretty solid and really just needs to acquire the perquisite 18 reports and some stress testing and critical eye on the vets.
2. Black Templars are stalled through the organic process. No one in the community seems interested in playtesting them. IIRC, we haven't seen a report from them in 3-4 years. If someone wants to show them love it's very welcome.
3. I will echo the Guard sentiments. E&C stepped away from dev work in toto a few years back so the Cadians languished. We've got someone to run them but he's having a damned of a time getting people to play (you're going to see this sentiment - alot). They needed some rejiggering, especially around points, to make them worth fielding which the new dev has done. They're probably good enough to actually be approved but that "official" 18 reports has been hard to come by.
4. Elysians. Yeah...that list has no love. I want to play it but it's not actually fun outside of non-tourney scenario play IMHO. There's "challenging" and then there's just "masochistic" ;) (Unsolicited advice-Self-Planetfall and cheaper Vultures :D)

Also it's important to note the Rug had a private personal issue that took him away from here for a spot and in addition there were a slew of accounts that are perma-lost due to a server crash (CS can fill you if you care to know) and he's only just recently come back with a new account and is getting his feet wet gain.

5. OGBM is actually under pretty active dev. There's a lot a gamey-ness that we've whacked down in testing and it's getting pretty damn solid. Nothing unexpected in extreme themed lists. When E&C had left active dev it was sitting around witghout a care taker for a couple of years but it's going strong now. I expect it to go approved this year.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:11 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

On the Chaos Marines side (as the current sub-AC for Death Guard, but nothing to do with the overall faction):

World Eaters appear to have stalled in the last year or so.
Thousand Sons stalled for a bit but are under active development and have a quite a lot of batreps.
Death Guard got a complete reboot from Steve, I then took over and changed it a fair amount again. It's pretty stable now but as jimmyzimms says, getting anyone to do batreps can be a huge issue - in the year since I took over, I'm the only person that's done any... :wah

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:59 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Hey Neal, welcome back.

We formalized the approval process with this: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=24023

In short, 18 games are needed across 4 gaming groups. The AC has to provide 6 reports.

The Raven Guard saw plenty of games in New England, one this past week even. I had enough reports for it but I was never able to source more from other groups. As a result, it hasn't been approved. You can follow the development via this thread (and there's links to older threads where I attempted to keep the thoughts in once place):
viewtopic.php?f=73&t=29613

It's pretty close to what you had, the focal point is marine infantry and air assaults (Codex taken to the nth degree). I renamed a few things, added a few infantry options and the Storm Eagles because I love the models.

Elysians were a sore spot for awhile. Everyone who was involved with them, their reboots and their knock-offs have pretty much cleared out though.

Specter Ghost had Cadians, I'm not sure who does now. He doesn't play much anymore, but for once a year when I force him to play at Adepticon in order to use his terrain. :P

OGBM saw playtests and changes, and then more of that, and then some more.

CaptPiett got Emperor's Children approved. Frogbear disappeared and left the other legions AC-less for awhile. I can't add much beyond what IJW did.

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:07 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Cadians are under Uvenlord who is the guy that drug Save Wolves over the finish line to Approved and is part of mordoten's local (NH, he's the guy that's doing to great work on the Gargant Big Mob).

Dave, I'm planning on facing off on RG with Microsoft Matt and Microsoft Chris from the Seattle league over vassal this weekend so expect a couple from me in the next week. Hoping that Apoc's new job will allow him to face FF against me again. Can we bribe Kyussinchains with some batreps for RC for him doing 4? That should put you within striking distance of approval. I'd really love if we could get some from AU too to cover their now huge active tournament circuit.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:29 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I'm game if you are Dave? 4 RG batreps in exchange for 4 RC ones? that should have us both knocking at the approval door.... can you lay out some stuff you want testing pls?

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:57 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Don't you still owe us for the IF lists? :P

Sure, although I no longer get weekly games. The vets and ambush could use with some more testing. Planet falling speeders and storm eagles got a got bit here. Anything else you guys might think open to abuse.

I'll see if I can swing Corsairs at Adepticon. Otherwise, I can start in April.

Blog

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:40 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Well, one of the biggest reasons lists aren't approved is getting enough batreps. Even my 6 games takes time and I usually have to choose between testing balance tweaks or doing battle reports for skitarii. If we had a concentrated effort on one list at a time I think we could knock out several pretty fast.

( poking dave again... about amtl tweaks :))

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:28 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

They should be up Monday if I have time.

Blog

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Welcome back, Neal.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:59 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Dave wrote:
Don't you still owe us for the IF lists? :P

maybe a couple, I did 4 EC batreps in the end, but then I decided to pay it forward and test the OGBM list instead ;)

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:45 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

My goodness it's Neal! Good to see you dropping in again :)