Login |  Register |  FAQ

For Newbies and Old Gronards alike Building and Using Epic-A

Post subject: Re: For Newbies and Old Gronards alike Building and Using Ep
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Me and my friends would be much obliged if you did. We have had good use of your strategy guide and an Operations Guide would be very interesting.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:36 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thank you all for the compliments, and work has begun on the operational aspects of Epic-A. However the original article was actually six months in the making, and didn't need to be as in depth as an operational article will need to be.

Strategy is a constant, what worked three thousand years ago will still work today, one need only modifiy it to fit present day time and space issues.

Operations are very 'army' specific, put another way, what exactly does one have on hand to carry out the mission. What I want the article to concentrate on are those 'mssions', the operational uses of those forces during the mission,tand how they need to act to carry out the mission.

Again thank you for the compliments. My desire to improve all players of the game is my only goal, if it achieves that goal then I can die a happy man.

Jaldon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:07 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well thank you, good sir. Looking forward to it. My game could certainly do with some improvement...

- Lieutenant General Michael O'Neal

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I concur to the usefulness and application of this article Brother Jaldon. Thank you.

On the upcoming operations article, perhaps you could start with unit types that all the armies share. As an Eldar player, my Rangers and War Walkers are similar to other armies, but given they are all that I can use to garrison, their operations are often restricted to this function.

Yes, we know, the game was intended to be played in the 2000-5000 points range...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:25 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Laser Wolf
Operations will include the unit’s by types, however it will be up to the players to ‘insert’ those exact unit types into the Combat Groups as described in the article. This isn’t as bad as it sounds as BUEA uses the same procedure to express strategic concepts and it makes the entire article ‘universal’ to all armies. It is only on the tactical level where detailed information on exact units is really needed and that information is covered by many fine articles already on the Tactical Command website.

Not to panic even though the concepts presented will be universal in nature enough detail will also be given so that players can ‘take the next step’ with little or no problem. Amazing as this may sound but after, I do not know how many, Epic-A games and campaigns thus far played, these operational concepts seem to play themselves out for all armies thus far in use in Epic-A.

For example: ‘Epic-A Operations’ will detail the concept of ‘Operational Threat Ranges’, how to calculate them, and then how to use them in a battle (Much as BUEA presented the concept of frontages and how to calculate them). As each army is different, just as each formation is different, the article shows the players how to calculate them for themselves so the article can remain universal to all armies. These OTRs are as important to understanding the concept of operations as frontages was to understanding strategy in BUEA.

The article will also cover Area Of Influence (AOI), two dimensional thinking, defensive operations (Containment, Area Defense, Static Defense, Mobile Defense, Hedgehog), offensive operations (Frontal Assault, Breakthrough, Blitz Attack, Deep Attack), force concepts (Support, Fast Attack, Mixed Force, Static Force, Mailed Fist), and basic do’s and don’ts of operations.

Jaldon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:13 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I am really looking forward to this! Thank you for taking the time, Jaldon!

- Lieutenant General Michael O'Neal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:29 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

PDF is not on GW's site any more, so I hosted it on mine - https://sites.google.com/site/epicarmag ... ing-armies

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:12 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Interesting article