Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next

Muppets on eBay - List them here

Post subject: Re: Muppets on eBay - List them here
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:05 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

I agree to a point, Apoc. However when poeple reply with messages that essentially say, yes we're overcharging for the minis, but we're not breaking any actual rules.

That kind of argument makes me a little sick; rules are not an appropriate stand-in for morals.

Ghost's Paint Blog, where everything goes that isn't something else.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for pointing out lack of original email, I have realised I should have included it shortly after submitting post, so there you go.
I want to point out that I have sent similar emails before and didn't get answer.

-----
Hi, how many models do you sell?
If it's only 2 why are they £34.99? If I don't get an answer I will inform eBay authorities.
RRP is £19 for pack of 2 new Epic Warhounds from Forge World online shop.
-----

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:28 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

for example: chibi marines:
http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/18675 ... rines.html

it's basically juxtaposing the grim darkness of 40k with the "Its so small and cute, Kawaiiiiii!" of certain segments of the population.
Lego figures are quite close to chibi proportions too.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:09 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I will preface this with saying that I don't agree with misleading people, and these people on eBay DO annoy me.

However, "overcharge" means to charge an incorrect amount, i.e. more than an item are advertised for. As far as I can see no overcharging is taking place, indeed it is pretty much impossible on eBay.

Now you might say that the items are overpriced. But an item is only overpriced if insufficient people are willing to pay the price to buy it. That is, that it would be more profitable to sell more at a lower price. When pricing something, something is worth what somebody is prepared to pay for it. Clearly, eBay is a huge marketplace and so is very good at determining the correct price. Obviously people prefer to pay less for things and people who can't afford them will be upset, but if the items still sell then they are not overpriced. Witness Apple products. IMO some of the items listed by markfieldminiatures and the like ARE overpriced - not because of some assessment of what they used to cost or anything of the like, but because they are not selling.

BUT, the fact is that lots of people think that Warhounds are out of production. That they are not is immaterial; without being able to buy them through channels like eBay, these people will simply not get the opportunity to buy them. They want the models enough to pay a higher price for them, and so a market exists. Businesses exist to make a profit by supplying a market, and that is what is happening. It makes me uncomfortable to decry any business that makes a profit by supplying people with luxury items they want at a price they are prepared to pay, without any coercion.

I can say that these sellers still annoy me because they inconvenience me by raising prices generally, but that's life. However, deliberately misleading people by saying models are out of production when they in fact are not is something I take a dim view on. To use an analogy, I wouldn't expect my local record store to have a label on every CD saying "hey, you can get this cheaper from Amazon you know", but I would be angry if they had a label saying "you can't buy this from anywhere else" which turned out to be a lie.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for your opinions.
There is nothing more one can say to those sellers 'working' in the grey zone.
It's maybe a bit like buying from sweatshops, obviously not illegal...but still pretty stupid in long run.
I guess I can just wish they improve their conduct.
Many years ago I met someone who was trading diamond cutting machines from China and he said there is no other way he could find to force them to respect human rights apart from demanding quality.
Bloody idealists ;D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:01 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

Kyrt wrote:
When pricing something, something is worth what somebody is prepared to pay for it. Clearly, eBay is a huge marketplace and so is very good at determining the correct price. Obviously people prefer to pay less for things and people who can't afford them will be upset, but if the items still sell then they are not overpriced. Witness Apple products. IMO some of the items listed by markfieldminiatures and the like ARE overpriced - not because of some assessment of what they used to cost or anything of the like, but because they are not selling.

Absolutely. As an example, Hasbro recently released a new line of Transformers onto the market - Prime. They started with a First Edition preview range. However, they then decided to stop production of these, move onto the main line, and cut of the supplies at source. So, overnight, a toy that was selling for £25 was then being advertised and sold for £60+. The only difference was that suddenly demand outstripped supply. What was the 'correct' price, and was it worth it? Only the buyer decides that.... But, I didn't get one!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:11 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

With the whole FW Warhound thing, my only objection (for which I reported a TC member to eBay for) is stating that they're OOP when they're not. That's misadvertising as it will make something appear more valuable than it is. Other than that, if some doofus wants to pay over the odds for something, eBay will serve them admirably.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:05 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

That's my issue, also. It's false advertising to say that Warhounds are OOP.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:25 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

CyberShadow wrote:
What was the 'correct' price, and was it worth it? Only the buyer decides that.... But, I didn't get one!
Slight tangent I know, but I must admit to feeling a bit saddened when I see people decide it's better to sell fewer of something at a higher price. I can only assume whenever I see it (e.g. admission prices for really crappy local museums) that there is a reason - more sales is more work I guess, but I can't help but think that selling cheaper to more customers would bring longer term benefits beyond the profit earned in the short term. Obviously that doesn't apply to items of restricted availability though.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:30 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Not a Muppet, but this has gone beyond the bounds of sanity.

Ghost's Paint Blog, where everything goes that isn't something else.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Good gravy that link should come with a 'may cover phone/keyboard with coffee' warning!

It does say private listing however... Strange [edit: warning disappeared when I signed in]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

That's absurd, although the private listing of bidders makes me suspicious.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yes. Absurd it is. Also, an interesting old acquaintance just reappeared.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Private listing is a good opportunity for ebay recasters, you can't check through their feedback what they sold in the past...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next