Brood Brother

Im in

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Epic UK - Orktoberfest - 2nd October 2021
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

OP updated with current attendees.

IMPORTANT: please note that BIG are in the process of moving premises, and the event will be held at their new address:

16 Cater Road
Bishopsworth
Bristol
BS13 7TW

Cheers
Reedar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Oh, I thought i'd registered for this! Not to worry though, it's currently a very busy period for me anyway. If you end up with odd numbers let me know though and i'll see what i can do.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

If you can make it, come Richard. - In truth if its odd, i will just get drunk and throw things at people and laugh, and use a cheaty list - pretty much the same as even numbers...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:06 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Just a reminder that lists are due in please guys.

Cheers
Reedar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Afternoon folks, hope everyone is ready for tomorrow.

Just to remind everyone, the address for B.I.G is: 16 Cater Rd, Bristol BS13 7TW

We have a lot of heavy Orky wargear looking forward to a scrap:

Mega Gargants - 1
Great Gargants - 5
Gargants - 4
Supa Stompas - 4
Gork/Morkanaughts - 7
Stompas - 46
Aircraft - 47

And lastly, please have a quick read of the scenario rules which we are using, these have been emailed to everyone.

Cheers
Reedar

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:05 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi folks, did an LF test this morning and it's positive. So I won't be coming to orktoberfest. Gutted about that. Hope the krumpin is good. Hope to see y'all for the next one.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:48 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Kapitan Montag - that sucks. :-(

Everyone else - have a great day’s gaming!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:00 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well the inaugural Orktoberfest took place over the weekend just gone, and I’d like to say a big thank you to everyone who took part.
Was great fun for me personally (despite getting a good kicking in each game!) and I hope you all had a good time too.
Shoutout to Bristol Independent Gaming for hosting us too - loved the new venue and the detailed terrain the guys made was a pleasure to fight over.
We’ll take on board the feedback for the variant scenarios used and be back bigger, meaner & greener next year!

Cheers
Reedar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

sorry to have missed it. just couldn't swing an away day pass with the mrs, and work been demanding. hence missing the deadline for sign up and coming down to participate. wouldve been an overnight trip down from scotland. fingers crossed next time, definitely keen and green! saw some great pics on instagram. also some good games at BOYL by looks of it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I went into this without having really played orks (I played Ferals long enough to show they were broken, then gave the plastic dinosaurs to a child), so i was surprised when a begging Darren asked me to take time out from teaching the Welsh how to drink, to teach the English how to play orks, but as ever, I am always too kind so I agreed to come along.
To keep it sporting I dragged along my pet Gewy, mumbling obscene comments about barrage shooting in an assault through the walls of his cage. To really keep it sporting, Darren decided to introduce new objectives and set up, and e-mail this to me the day before, so i had to teach these to Gewy, as well as teaching him the rules of the game.
Being quite new to Orks, I based the lost on two solid units (Supa stombas and stompas, one with AA as BTS), three squads of scorchas, some AA, and lots of Air (a warband in one). - why? Well the orks best units are speed, and most are light vehicles, being prone to fightas and landas. - So as long as I didnt run into lots of war engines......

Game 1. - Tim. - Lots of war engines.
Well Tim also realised that Air is the weakness of Orks. But he also brought a long a list of Gargants, Great Gargants, a pretty horrible experience was expected. We started by rolling the scenario, and got 30 cm deployment...really good for gargants... I set my objectives out far, whilst Tim did the correct thing and set his close, so i knew that Id have two gargants charging after the two objectives in my half. With his 4 squads of fightas, my scorchas and flak guns were guranteed a short life. i had hoped to get an air assault into the blitz (a bunch of dreadnoughts on overwatch, - nasty, but not impossible if my planes could whittle them), but Tim held back his great gargant for turn one and two. This was double edged, it detracted from my Blitz hope, but left the other two gargants vulnerable. So I got some assaults into them and kept them broken, sadly they kept rallying and some of the assaults went a bit south (warband died).
Fortunately the Ork shooting on both sides was very poor, so although the soft units got squished by his fightas, I got one gargant in return, giving us a draw. Fun to play against the Ork titans, but a challenges without any TK or real MWs. Very similar to Space Marine Air Assaults vs Titan Legion but without the paper warhounds.

Game 2, Glynn, Regular Orks.
Well after game 1, it was nice to see a list I recognised, and poor Glynn was treated to some cold revenge as it was planes turn to hand out some kills without response. Glynn had a great gargant, and he did a great job of charging it up to the blitz, but by then a world of planes, air assault supported by scorchas, and the inevitable recycling taht comes with a three landa list, and everything else in the green horde was looking yello and waving white, this gave me enough activations to run back to the blitz with some flak and achieve a 2-0 in turn three.

Game 3 - Oli, with, well with WTF is this?
We had experimental lists- I had never bothered reading that in the guide, bit of a mistake. So here was an army of super heavy tanks, huge stompa mobs, the now standard gargant, and the ever present fightas.
So we rolled for the objectives and this time we got the mental ones where we could set up 1K of points next to each others set up and could place the blitz.
In retrospect, with my far faster army, this was a big bonus, but both of us were looking a bit punch drunk (and actual drunk) so werent quite sure what we were doing.
I placed the blitz in my set up zone and gave the BTS super stompa and some scorchas the job of holding it, Olii placed my blitz a bit more sportingly and placed the gargant in my deployment.
I pretty much went full on do or die. - I didnt know what the nasty tanks would do, but orks cant shoot (can they?), so the plan was to put the scorchas into support fire range, assault the gargant, and hopefully break it. The other stompa had the job of standing in the middle of the table and waving, a job it did quite well.
I got first turn, scorchas got into range and handed out a bm, then the warband on the landa air assaulted.
This went really surprisingly well, the grots died (as ever) and the landa took two wounds, but we wan the fight greatly stripped the shields and caused some wounds with fires.
Here I think the day caught up with Oli, (who was a solid player throughout) but he didnt run away. I do understand that it is very unork for a gargant to run away from what was now 2 nobz and 6 boys. But by staying still (using fearless) this meant that any future assaults would drag these guys in - a very rare rule thing that can haunt broken fearless.
So when the opportunity presented, the other scorchas joined the party, and another landa assaulted. Oli won this assault, but the gargant was on fire and wouldnt survive these. Still, it did break the warband to two units - dead soon, and killed both landas. It had taken 1/3 of my army, but that also gave me BTS, which, when I was holding the Blitz gave Oli a hell of a task. The tanks came up and shot the hell out of my BTS, - but Orks really cant shoot. This also showed a weakness in the tank list, as the super heavies arent fearless so once broken were really done. - In turn three the speed really worked for me and I could flood the blitz whilst keeping the tanks at a distance.
The huge stompas with 24 shots, really were nasty, but my 'waving' stompa sat in cover, eventually broke, but like a chinese tatoo parlours cat, just kept waving. 2-0 in turn three.

I had set out to train Darren to play Orks, but it seemed he had been busy on the other tables learning how not to, so it was a net loss in the training efforts.
Gewyy on the other hand was re-enacting the siege of Vienna and is probably still playing turn two of the first game after only a week.