Login |  Register |  FAQ

Feedback on tournament scoring and timekeeping

Post subject: Feedback on tournament scoring and timekeeping
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Having attended a tournament or two in recent months I had a couple of comments. I appreciate that I may be in a minority but just putting it out there because otherwise people will assume everyone thinks all is well.

Firstly the 32 points system. Fundamentally it treats two draws/ties the same as one win. In a 3 game tournament, often a person with a win and two draws will place higher then someone with two wins and a loss. That feels wrong.

Secondly, and exacerbating the first issue, I think there is a problem with timekeeping, many games are not being completed in time resulting in auto draws. Other games have made chess clocks standard at tournaments. I think it might be something to consider. It feels like people are in denial that there is an issue and that 3k games can be played in 2.5 hours when in reality they very often are not.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Feedback on tournament scoring and timekeeping
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:45 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

28 games played at the last tournament, 2 didn't complete in 2 1/2 hours

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

of the three games i played in the last tournament 2 went over. others did too

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:26 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Regarding the scoring we adjusted the scoring a few years ago to give more weight to wins, I'm not sure that its wrong though for 2W 1L to be about the same as 1W 2D as after all the 2D player has gone unbeaten. The main alternative is a flat 3pt win 1pt draw 0 loss that some European tournaments run but that has its flaws as well.

We've discussed timekeeping extensively in the past. 2 1/2 hours is really the maximum that can be allowed if we want 3 games in a day and not to be starting/finishing too early/late for people to travel. Also we are often restricted by venue opening times. In addition looking at the non-finishing games recently several of them were still in turn 2 after time and with extra time so they wouldn't be helped by a but more time.

Chess clocks have also been discussed but the does require all players to have the app and a certain adjustment to using them. It also presents issues where both players are doing something ie a large assault would be on the aggressors clock but the time might be wasted by the other player countercharging/hit allocating/reading saves+rolls data/positioning after the assault. Perhaps the most useful time for clocks would be in deployment, as a TO often you can see a game is in trouble timewise from the time it has taken to deploy . We have thought about trialling chess clocks at a tournament and that might be something we do at a tournament in 2020.

We have also tried to ask players to mark down players sports points where they have been excessively slow and the sports questions have been changed to try to facilitate this. I would also say the onus doesn't fall entirely on TOs and organisation if players no they have timings issues then they need to try to mitigate that too

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:08 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

thanks for taking the time to set out the situation. appreciated and understood