Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

European championship

Post subject: Re: European championship
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 1:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

bertnernie wrote:
I think Ulrik's suggestion of random opponents is great because as a follower of the ETC coverage the past couple of years I have learned that many of the games are 'match up' dependent. Which means that people deliberately bring unbalanced (often unfun) armies so that they can beat certain types of armies into the ground.

It's brumbaer's suggestion, I just agree with it :)

edit: How do we feel about several teams per country? I know that the Warmachine ETC has had both two and three teams from Norway in the last years. It depends on the venue of course, but also how exclusive we want to be - do we want only the largest communities to send a team (those that can legitimately claim to send their "best guys"), or do we want a bigger event were even small nations (like Norway) scrounge together a team of guys who want to attend while the bigger nations like France and the UK have several teams?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 6:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Brumbaer, it could well be that there are more than 6 teams available, especially if countries can provide more than one team (such as the UK, split into North / South etc).

Assuming that the local 'host' cannot accommodate more than 6 teams / 12 tables, have you considered having different country teams present in the various events depending on the accessibility of the location and availability of the teams, rather than a fixed "6" teams?

Alternatively to answer Ulrik's thought, it could be *really* cool to have as many teams as possible in each event. For example, given sufficient warning Expo may be open to 16 or 20 tables, and other European venues may be similar. Like Ulrik, I would prefer to allow as many teams as possible to ensure a true European or even "world" championship event

Obviously this depends on the local 'host' and facilities and would impact the "format" proposed, but would this be sensible / practical?

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:29 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

IMO worrying about what to do with more than 6 teams/24 players is jumping the gun a bit, getting 24 players would make it the 2nd largest EA tournament ever.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:32 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think allowing regional teams would be fair, should 8 want to come from France for example then it would seem to be unfair to tell them they can't come!

Same for if teams want to go abroad from the uk in future years - it's not so dead serious that multiple teams couldn't be accommodated, IMO.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:33 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Evil and Chaos wrote:
I think allowing regional teams would be fair, should 8 want to come from France for example then it would seem to be unfair to tell them they can't come!

Same for if teams want to go abroad from the uk in future years - it's not so dead serious that multiple teams couldn't be accommodated, IMO.

+1

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 8:58 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I agree with Ben, saying 'no you can't come we're full' is the quickest way to kill an event like this.... I'd also be concerned that the UK team of 4 would consist of Steve54, Tiny-Tim, dptdexys and RichardL and the rest of us plebs would never get a look-in ;)

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:11 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

To quote myself

brumbaer wrote:
<Snip>

Why only one team ?
This is a nation not a team event. Same chances for every nation.
Space will be limited and I prefer having 6 teams of 6 different nations over 4 German teams playing 2 swedish ones.
To increase the number of people the spokesperson can draw from. At the beginning everybody is enthusiastic, the closer we get to the event, the more problems will occur. I'm sorry, i don't get a holiday, I'm broke, the dog ate my miniatures, my spouse will leave me, if I fly to wherever to play ...... If somebody can just field 4 people, he might find himself hard pressed at the time of tournament. It might also be a good idea to take commitment under consideration when deciding who to choose.
The spokesperson will be responsible for organizing the championship in his country at some time. Having more than one team will just lead to pushing the responsibilities around.
The goal is to get a kernel of spokespersons who commit themselves and will keep the championship alive over a longer period.
I'm aware of the drawback that some players will be left out. Approach the spokesperson for your country and ask him to select you or ask him to organize a tournament to find the best players, or become the spokesperson.

It would also be possible to have an event like this in Berlin every year, or one just with teams, without nationality restrictions or a European singles tournament using the Swiss System or something different.

But the idea behind this European championship is that it isn't just a local tournament which you attend this year or not, but a tournament which moves between European cities and which is not a tournament by any club, but a tournament borne (I hope this is the right word) by a group of persona/clubs all over Europe.

If we do not find enough committed spokespersons, we still can organize a championship in Berlin and that could have multiple entries per nation, but it would be something different and would probably loose attractiveness quicker once the novelty is gone.

<Snip>

I expect that the teams change every year. Not everyone will be available or inclined to attend every time.
Not even the spokesperson has to attend in person or be part of the team.
The idea is that he organizes the event in his country and makes sure that 4 team members, whoever they will be and however they will be selected, will attend the tournaments.
And the spokesperson does not have literally a person. If a club is willing to share the burden on it's members that is fine as well - none the less I prefer real persons as there I no misunderstanding where the responsibility lies.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

kyussinchains wrote:
I agree with Ben, saying 'no you can't come we're full' is the quickest way to kill an event like this.... I'd also be concerned that the UK team of 4 would consist of Steve54, Tiny-Tim, dptdexys and RichardL and the rest of us plebs would never get a look-in ;)

Don't worry kyuss, I'd vote for and be part of your 'UK Rejects' campaign.... :grin:

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:13 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I would have no problem with hosting 20tables/40 players at my space...

"You have a right to be offended" - Steve Hughes
"Your feelings are hurting my thoughts" - Aron Flam

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 12:15 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

kyussinchains wrote:
Maybe you could ask that fellow who owns Sealand if you can represent him ;)
http://www.sealandgov.org

To be fair, north and south are practically two countries anyway. What with Londoners being so unfriendly and all.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 4:47 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Rug wrote:
mordoten wrote:
I would have no problem with hosting 20tables/40 players at my space...

It sounds like a great venue, but almost everyone would have to get a flight and Sweden is expensive!

Well, not more expensive an any other wetsern european country. And considering I own the premises there wouldn't be any need to to take out any high fees for rent of the space and people could sleep on camping beds at the venue to save money. I could also organize cheap food for participamts that would be way less costly than restaurant food without being crap quality...

"You have a right to be offended" - Steve Hughes
"Your feelings are hurting my thoughts" - Aron Flam

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 7:23 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I really think we are running before we can walk here, the only reason I quoted 24 players/6 teams in the Birmingham proposal is as I thought that might be a doable number.

I'd be amazed if, with the costs involved holding it anywhere, we got more than that when the time comes to commit

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 10:50 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

kyussinchains wrote:

If 'selection' for the UK was based off championship standing then it would be Richard L, Tim H, Dave T and Mike T right now... Steve would have ground to make up as Mark P is first alternate ;)

Though I agree about walking before running, and if something is to happen this year then it's already time to get serious about organising. Flights, accomodation etc. all need sorting with plenty of notice for all concerned.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next