Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

European championship

Post subject: Re: European championship
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 8:37 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I'd assume that the UK is in. However, who attends will be very much dependent on when the tournament is.

NetEA Ork + Feral Ork + Speed Freak Champion

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 8:48 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'll post some proposed dates within a week.
Obviously it will not be possible ro find a date suiting all. But it is hopefully possible to fill vacant slots with players from friendly clubs or gamer circles.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 8:55 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Greg fron the Hungarian community already replied and told me that they are aware of the thread and are discussing their ability to participate.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:05 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

In Italy I believe to be the most addicted, but probably the one! Just in case, consider the possibility to adopt me in one of your international teams. Or I can arbitrate the battle.
:D

It's really a cool idea, some idea to hold off our girlfriends during this epic weekend? There is a big party / event / art exhibition (not the epic ours) where send them all those days?
I'll try, but if I can most probably I'll be the only one from Italy. I try to proselytize...

:spin

Orkonia: http://goo.gl/j6Q3v
Hive Cassius: http://goo.gl/vJSxA

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:30 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

IMO the ideal format would be 6 teams playing 5 rounds so every team plays each other, to get round the issues of picking matchups Ginger alluded to the matchups within the teams could be randomly drawn each round.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:33 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

We discussed this a little last night, I think expo is a great place to host it as transport wise you just need your flights, there is a free shuttle bus from airport to hotel and venue, London is okay but you have to deal with people all being in different locations lodging-wise, plus travelling around the place isnt simple, most londoners treat folks like scum if you should dare to ask for help.... ;) plus it's expensive to travel to, even from within the UK.....

secondly the big problem I forsee for the UK at least for this year, is that we already have a pretty full event calendar and a championship in full swing, I would dearly love to attend an event on the continent this year, but I've already planned my vacation and tournament attendance around that, and for me at least, I wouldn't be able to travel to a European event this year, although with lots and lots of notice, I could certainly plan for something next year :)

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:05 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

As a group I think it's clear that several people from the UK are interested - just remember that the UK is a large community so there is not necessarily a natural "spokesman" who can authoritatively say "we're in!". And of course nobody can say that for sure until they know the date and other details. This is where I perceive the difficulty to be. Once the date is set I suggest someone should be appointed to find/decide the players. If too many people want to go, someone has to make the decision ;) Logically, I think the best thing would be for the UK's participation to be handled through through the Epic UK "system". They could provide a point of contact, organise the local forces, and pick the players (e.g. decide based on championship points, or average points per game or something).

Personally, I am interested but have stopped short of saying I will go because I think it is unlikely I will be able to this year. My wife is having our second child in mid August, so September is 100% out. Also, my track record at tournaments is not exactly stellar! (though there are several big errors in my championship record BTW :p)

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:09 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

If people wanted Epic UK would be willing to run and host the event.

Our proposal/suggestion

May 30-31 2015
UK Games Expo at Hilton NEC Birmingham
This is a large games expo (we currently run a tournament at it) with board, miniature and card games and lots of trade stalls http://www.ukgamesexpo.co.uk/

The venue is a large 4* hotel within 5 minutes of Birmingham Airport, a free shuttle bus operates between the airport and the hotel. On Sunday night flights operate out to France, Sweden, Germany, Slovakia, Netherlands and Italy (as of now) at times which would be possible to finish for.

Expo would be willing to provide the tables, Epic UK would be willing to provide all terrain and a non-playing experienced referee to score and adjudicate on rules.

+ Great Prize support from TMG

Price £145
2 nights staying at the hotel (based on 2 sharing a twin room)
Breakfast
Parking
Lunch both days
Gaming and Expo ticket
(so everything but drinks and evening meal)
If there is interest we may be able to reduce this price

Last edited by Steve54 on Fri May 23, 2014 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:14 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'd also add the the main line train station is also 5 min shuttle bus from the venue.

Birmingham is a much maligned city in the UK but is a pleasant place for non gaming partners, or you're no more than an hour by train to central London.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:22 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Thanks Steve, plenty for people to consider.

Also on the beauty of Brum, more cannels than Venice, British Motorcycle Museum near the airport, shopping in the centre.

NetEA Ork + Feral Ork + Speed Freak Champion

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:27 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Steve54 wrote:
If people wanted Epic UK would be willing to run and host the event.

Our proposal/suggestion

May 30-31 2015
UK Games Expo at Hilton NEC Birmingham
This is a large games expo (we currently run a tournament at it) with board, miniature and card games and lots of trade stalls http://www.ukgamesexpo.co.uk/

The venue is a large 4* hotel within 5 minutes of Birmingham Airport, a free shuttle bus operates between the airport and the hotel. On Sunday night flights operate out to France, Sweden, Germany, Slovakia, Netherlands and Italy (as of now) at times which would be possible to finish for.

Expo would be willing to provide the tables, Epic UK would be willing to provide all terrain and a non-playing experienced referee to score and adjudicate on rules.

Price £145
2 nights staying at the hotel (based on 2 sharing a twin room)
Breakfast
Parking
Lunch both days
Gaming and Expo ticket
(so everything but drinks and evening meal)
If there is interest we may be able to reduce this price

Wow, you're efficient.

Colour me interested, though of course I don't expect to make the team ;)

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:39 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

That sounds good.
For this year were looking preferably at September or Oktober.
Anytime closer than 4 month is to early. And in November christmas stress is already starting for some.
We will have to check that we do not choose a date already taken.
I'll come back with a date or choice of dates, if possible, within a week.

I don't see the problem with matchups. There is nothing to choose or match for the teams. There is a formula which determines who plays whom. But who, who and whom is, is determined randomly, the teams have no way to influence this.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:49 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

In ETC events the teams partially control the matchups, and there's quite a lot of strategy going into it ("this army is our all-comers army which we let the opposing team pick the opponent, this army is the army we pick to face this-and-that type" and so on). The closest thing in Epic would be to bring a Titan Legion army to pair against armies weak againste WEs, and another army that's loaded up on TK weapons to take down opposing Titan Legions.

Random allocation sounds better to me though. Encourages people to not bring rock-paper-scissors armies.

If it's in Berlin I might actually be able to make the trip (been there the last couple of years anyway!), but the small Epic community in Norway has been dormant for close to a year (not that it was ever very active). If the swedes agree (their final call, of course!), would it be ok for players to join teams from other countries? (Either allowing foreigners to join the qualification tournament(s), or being a reserve in case they can't fill up a team by themselves.) And if they can and want to field an all-Swedish team, that's perfectly fine too.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 11:05 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Potential Expo tournament has now got prize support from TMG

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 1:30 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think Ulrik's suggestion of random opponents is great because as a follower of the ETC coverage the past couple of years I have learned that many of the games are 'match up' dependent. Which means that people deliberately bring unbalanced (often unfun) armies so that they can beat certain types of armies into the ground.

I was wondering if in the UK England, Scotland and Wales would count seperately. I am not there, I'm off in the Czech Republic, but considering the number of players it might be nice for each country to represent themselves individually.

I won't be able to make it this year as I already have a full summer, but hopefully next year there will be enough notice for me to do something.

www.youtube.com/user/ManticMoments

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next