Login |  Register |  FAQ

Confused by squats

Post subject: Confused by squats
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:03 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hello Squat-lovers

As I make my way through painting my Chaos army, I have started to slowly accumulate a few squat models for the next project (or at least one of the next ones...). I am now trying to figure out how to group my stuff into units. Unlike a lot of the other armies, the squat lists don't seem to agree on model counts for different units which is VERY frustrating. I am trying to "future-proof" my collection so that regardless of army list modifications in the future I have enough models for all units. It's ok if I have too many models in some formations for a particular list variant but I obviously can't have too few. So please help me find the common denominator for the squat formations. Here is what I have gathered so far:

Infantry:
22 Warrior bases with a few spare models leftover. Adding a character base this gives me two units of 12 models. Is that the highest unit size across all squat lists? Do I need more?
12 Berzerker bases (2 units of 6 in Demiurg, 1 unit of 8 plus a 4 base upgrade in Thurgrim). Makes sense?
6 Hearthguard bases (that seems to be common across lists. correct?)
10 Thunderer bases (2 units of 5 in Thurgrim, they only seem to exist as 3-base upgrades in Demiurg correct?)

Bikers:
I have tons of models so I can build whatever I want (well, up to 50 biker bases, 40 trikes and 20 leader bases). What unit sizes are the right ones here?

Artillery:
Similar to the bikes, I have over 30 each of Thudd Guns and Mole Mortars. They seem to come in unit sizes of 6 or 9, so would 18 each be reasonable?

Other stuff:
6 Gyrocopter. They seem to come in units of 3, 4 or 5. So 6 is presumably enough.
2 Thunderfire. I guess I need 6 total to deal with the 2,3 and 4 unit sizes in the lists...

I have one each of the super heavies, 2 airships and 2 goliath which I think is ok, right?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Confused by squats
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:13 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

You should be right for the most part. I know the official Squat list is being worked on, and will likely consolidate the Demiurg and Thurgrim lines. I can't comment on any compositional changes, but I doubt it'd mess with your numbers. One of the Army Champions will be along soon to advise.

Of the alternate lists, only the French one needs an extra Thunderfire if you want them as a separate formation. But they're purchasable as 1-2 for a Grand Battery, so you're not even really off there. There's enough cheap activations that needing a Thunderfire Battery isn't necessary.

My own alternate, keeps grunts to 8/12/16 (one being a Character), elites to 4/6/8 (Hearth/Thunderers), and biker/artillery to 6/9/12, so you're all set there too, if you want to try that route.

Morgan Vening

Profile Send private message