Login |  Register |  FAQ

Thurgrimm's Stronghold

Post subject: Thurgrimm's Stronghold
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 5:11 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Here is an unformatted copy of the Thurgrimm's List. Please let me know it there are any typos or omissions.

Tracked corrections or changes:

5/31/09 - Leviathan: notes corrected. Transport 16 is correct. (thank you Chroma)
5/31/09 - Typos corrected: "Leviathin" & "Bezerkers" (thank you Erik M)
6/11/09 - Incorporated a series of spelling and style corrections (thank you Curis)

Note that the Download counter resets to zero each time this is edited and uploaded. I will try to limit the number of times this is edited, however please check here for the last changed date. That way you will always have the most up to date list.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 5:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Leviathan Typo:

Transport (16) May carry fourteen of the following units:

Which is correct, 14 or 16 units?

Now living in Boston... any EPIC players want to meet up?

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks Steve.

SQUAT BEZERKERS ? Shouldn't that be berzerkers?

And a typo in army list part:

Super Heavy Tank Battery (1 Super Heavy Tank)
Leviathin 400 points <--- Leviathan ?
Colossus 450 points
Cyclops 500 points

PS I just realise exactly how spot on I was with my SM "Razorbacks"...!  :vD

092b85658e746a91d343e53509d357744e56f641

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:16 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Finnicky capitalisation, pluralisation and editorial issues aside, I'd like to point out the following:

1. Games Workshop hyphenate "super-heavy".

2.  Tunneller has two l's in British English.

3.  Guildmaster is all one word.

4.  Battle Cannon is two separate words.

5.  One P1 the title is missing a few letters: THURGRIMM’S STRONGHOLD ARMY LIST

6.  P1 I'd rewrite...

All Squat Infantry, Vehicle, Artillery, Air Wing and Spacecraft formations have an initiative of 2+.

...as...

All Squat Infantry, Vehicle, Artillery, Air Wing and Spacecraft formations have an initiative rating of 2+.

...to keep it consistent with the rulebook army lists.

7. I suggest rewording the Stubborn special rule so it's in also keeping with the official lists.  Line of fluff, then the rule.

SPECIAL RULE
Stubborn
In battle Squats are renowned for their doughty resolve and and tenacity as warriors. All Squat formations ignore the -1 modifier for enemy units within 30cm when rallying in the End Phase (see 1.14.1).

(I based that off page 167 of the Warhammer 40,000 Compendium.)

8.  On the subject of Special Rules, I'd rename the Tunnellers special rule so it doesn't confuse people with the Tunnellers on p168 of the Epic Armageddon Rulebook.

9.  Overlord Armoured Airship has a u.  In British English.

10.  The army list I'd rewrite...

for each Brotherhood taken, 2 Support formations may be selected

...as...

Two may be taken per Core Squat Brotherhood

...as it then makes explicit it's a Core Squat Brotherhood, and it's also closer to the official lists.

11.  P2 You've misspelled Thunderers:

Thunderers (2 Thrunderers) 75 points

12.  You need some editorial consistency throughout unit entries, especially with Notes, Critical Hits and  Special.

13.  I'd substantially rewrite the TBM rules so they were clearer.

That's all for a pedantic first pass.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:46 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Curis,

Thank you for the review and comment. It seems that by passing the files back and forth a number of inconsistancies developed, glad you spotted some of them  :whistle: ; not the least of which is our mixing of English and English  :vD

I will update the file in the next day or so.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Post deleted - I suggested a correction that wasn't a correction.

Tum te tum te tum.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

*reads through TBM rules*
Anybody, please, can you make clear, how that works?
in the reloaded list, despite it bad flavour, there's clear solution ,how tunnelers work: just as spacecraft, only that it can pop up in your side of the table on turn 2 or 3 and in the enemy's on turn 3 only.
what Khtone cradles are for? All I've got is that I need to pass activation test for "launching tunellers" at some moment(when, exactly?). And that in some case TBM can be destroyed before they delivered the cargo(how and when???)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:47 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Guns_Linger @ 06 Aug. 2009, 12:58 )

*reads through TBM rules*

Anybody, please, can you make clear, how that works?

if you can give me a clear example of how you tried to you use the rules I may be able to sort it out for you.

in the reloaded list, despite it bad flavour, there's clear solution ,how tunnelers work: just as spacecraft, only that it can pop up in your side of the table on turn 2 or 3 and in the enemy's on turn 3 only.

I assume you are referring to the Squat Codex list...can't help you with that.

what Khtone cradles are for? All I've got is that I need to pass activation test for "launching tunellers" at some moment(when, exactly?). And that in some case TBM can be destroyed before they delivered the cargo(how and when???)

TBM cradle, or Khthon formations activate during the turn like any other formation. If you don't win the initiative or launch them early your opponent may get a chance to kill them before the TBM can be launched.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:42 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

For land train, can I take Bomb car as the one included as part of the initial land train, and then as upgrades, take 0-1 bomb cards more?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:20 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

TBM cradle, or Khthon formations activate during the turn like any other formation. If you don't win the initiative or launch them early your opponent may get a chance to kill them before the TBM can be launched.

Gods be praised, here's someone alive)
Ok, let's try: e.g. here we have berserker default formation(6 units). I want to give them tunnellers. I buy three termites. so we have 3 transports for 6 units.
1) exactly when I "buy" Khtons(termite cradles)? and how many of them are there?
2) if e.g. they're free 1 for 1 termite - so, afaiu, I need to place them in my deployment zone, than activate them and launch termites. after that khtons are not needed, and termites would appear on my half anywhere(somewhere in place I secretly wrote - btw, it's before game writed or it's on-launch writed?) on turn 2 or on opponent's half on turn 3
3) tell me exactly how opponent can damage Khton, if it've got no stats except 1 HBolter? or it means his "auto-death" after first hit?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (rpr @ 07 Aug. 2009, 10:42 )

For land train, can I take Bomb car as the one included as part of the initial land train, and then as upgrades, take 0-1 bomb cards more?

The limits are per land train and are absolute, the included Battle Car can be a Bomb Car, but no more than one can be taken.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Guns_Linger @ 09 Aug. 2009, 09:20 )

Ok, let's try: e.g. here we have berserker default formation(6 units). I want to give them tunnellers. I buy three termites. so we have 3 transports for 6 units.

1) exactly when I "buy" Khtons(termite cradles)? and how many of them are there?

Each TBM comes with a Khthon cradle, no additional point cost.

2) if e.g. they're free 1 for 1 termite - so, afaiu, I need to place them in my deployment zone, than activate them and launch termites. after that khtons are not needed,

correct.

and termites would appear on my half anywhere(somewhere in place I secretly wrote - btw, it's before game writed or it's on-launch writed?) on turn 2 or on opponent's half on turn 3

This is done just like spacecraft, before deployment, after objectives have been placed. record location and turn.

3) tell me exactly how opponent can damage Khton, if it've got no stats except 1 HBolter? or it means his "auto-death" after first hit?

this is from the list for your reference:

Important Note on Targeting TBM: While a TBM is mounted on its cradle they count as one unit. If an armour save is failed remove the TBM and the cradle, but assign only 1 BM per casualty. On-board infantry units save as per the normal rules for a destroyed transport. Any BM accumulated prior to the launching of TBM formations are removed after they launch.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:38 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

This is done just like spacecraft, before deployment, after objectives have been placed. record location and turn.

Let's see:
For example I want to send them to the my half of the table(to the far objective, maybe).
I write location and 2nd turn as "turn" 'cause it's said they need 1 turn to emerge on my half;
Then let's imagine I botched activation roll. It wasn't launched on the first turn so in cannot emerge on turn 2. So what's happening?
variants:
a) diggers can't dig, 'cause I botched the roll. unlikely and pretty stupid also)
b) I can launch them on turn 2 and they would emerge on turn 3 on the same place I wrote at the start. Logical. But then what's the purpose of writing "exact time of emerge" at the start of the game, if it depends on me launching them successfully(which happens during the game)?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:12 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Guns_Linger @ 14 Aug. 2009, 06:38 )

For example I want to send them to the my half of the table(to the far objective, maybe).
I write location and 2nd turn as "turn" 'cause it's said they need 1 turn to emerge on my half;
Then let's imagine I botched activation roll. It wasn't launched on the first turn so in cannot emerge on turn 2. So what's happening?
variants:
a) diggers can't dig, 'cause I botched the roll. unlikely and pretty stupid also)
b) I can launch them on turn 2 and they would emerge on turn 3 on the same place I wrote at the start. Logical.

The correct answer is b). Please refer to the core rules section 4.3.2.

But then what's the purpose of writing "exact time of emerge" at the start of the game, if it depends on me launching them successfully(which happens during the game)?

"exact time of emerge" does not appear in the rules as a part of a sentence, so I am unsure why you are using quote marks.

The pupose of all this should be obvious; if you choose to use tunneller formations you are committing a portion of your army, before battle, to a tactic that may not survive contact with the enemy.