Login |  Register |  FAQ

Unit Stats/Army List Squats for Combined List v1.0

Post subject: Unit Stats/Army List Squats for Combined List v1.0
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:08 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Okay, I managed to get a pick up game last night to test out the Squats.

I have to say on the whole everything seems to work well, that said I do have some concern on a couple of items.

1) The Goliath. Where the Goliath from the Thurgrimm's list was the all powerful super gun of death, I'm feeling this version is it's retarded cousin, lol. I'm thinking perhaps a happy medium between the two. Keep the new 4BP this keeps it from being too rediculous, keep the ability to buy them seperately but give them back MW & slow firing. With they should perform well but not break the game. In this incarnation they're shrugged off too easily a handful of IDF mole mortars are much more a concern.

2) Thunderfire. No major problems I just feel it's a shame it's lost the AP & AT attacks  :sad:

3) Iron Eagle's. I must say i'm puzzled at the decision on 3 to a squadron? They've never been a fantastic unit but at least with 5 they were likely to contribute something to the game rather than being free VP's for your opponent.

That's all for now I'll have a more indepth look at the other units this weekend while I try out a different list. Hopefully I'll get a report in as well.

Cheers

CM

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 12:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

thanks for the quick notes!

1 Goliaths - keep in mind since they ignore cover and have crazy range they will always have a target and always be +1 to hit on the chart, that gives them plenty of advantages. The two extra turn of shooting don't hurt either.

as for how the stand up compared to MM...it is a matter of what you are trying to do with the formations, MM are short-range for artillery and significantly easier to kill off because of thier proximity. (the sign that is working is that both formations have downsides, IMO)

2 Thunderfire - a tough design decision that we still wrestle with...they are great in large scenarios (especially fighting across the long table edge, ditto for the Goliaths), but less useful in standard play. (in tournament play I rely on Overlords or Iron Eagles..sometimes both!) As for the loss of direct fire...we just don't like the idea of it being used as both an AA weapon and field artillery. this may change eventually, but for now enjoy the range and the AA dominance the Squats have.

3- Iron Eagles - a design choice by Jaldon, standard platoon of 3, for the Demiurg I chose to field 4 per formation, 5 if you add a Iron Hawk spotter. That works well for the Demiurg, ask anyone that plays with or against them.

look forward to a bat rep if you get the time (any feel for "Stubborn"?).

ep

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 3:50 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I dont have time to test the list yet but I wish I can do that next week, but before the test I sent the lists to my friends and we have below ideas.

1) I like the new stubborn rules, its reasonable and not overpower and my opponents are agree on that too.

2) we all think Grand Battery with 8 Mole Mortars are too strong. A unit with 1 BP and disrupt are just fine, but not in a formation of 8. Most of the units that have BP and disrupt ability such as Manticore or Night Spinner, which are just limited to 3 in their formation, so I think we better stay with that limit too.

3) I like the new idea on the Iron Eagles, but 3 for 200pts ? Its too expense.

Anyway I will test the list and let you all knows the result.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:26 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Bern,

thanks for taking a look, regardless of which list you play I would appreciate it if you took a look at both lists, some of your concerns (formation size and point costs) may be addressed by considering the differences...part of the playtesting process Jaldon and I agreed on was that our original list designs would remain largely the same, only changes were to unit stats asnd point costs.

1. thanks for the comment

2. as per my comments to Couchmonster, the MM looks nasty (and admittedly they can be!), but they are not as flexible as nightspinners (skimmer + hit and run tactics) and they certainly don't have the range of a Manticore Battery, but are costed similar. In order to use them they have to be close, once they are close enough your opponent is obliged to soften them up.

See how they do, even field multiple formations and be mean about it, breaking lists is important info for us, maybe more important than the concept of a balanced list. If the Squat list still seems to be lacking try the Demiurg list which configures them ans costs them a little differently.

3. see the notes above for some thoughts on the Iron Eagles.

I look forward to your feedback and or bat-rep!

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (epilgrim @ 22 May 2009, 11:26 )

Bern,

thanks for taking a look, regardless of which list you play I would appreciate it if you took a look at both lists, some of your concerns (formation size and point costs) may be addressed by considering the differences...part of the playtesting process Jaldon and I agreed on was that our original list designs would remain largely the same, only changes were to unit stats asnd point costs.

1. thanks for the comment

2. as per my comments to Couchmonster, the MM looks nasty (and admittedly they can be!), but they are not as flexible as nightspinners (skimmer + hit and run tactics) and they certainly don't have the range of a Manticore Battery, but are costed similar. In order to use them they have to be close, once they are close enough your opponent is obliged to soften them up.

See how they do, even field multiple formations and be mean about it, breaking lists is important info for us, maybe more important than the concept of a balanced list. If the Squat list still seems to be lacking try the Demiurg list which configures them ans costs them a little differently.

3. see the notes above for some thoughts on the Iron Eagles.

I look forward to your feedback and or bat-rep!

Epilgrim

I am happy to see a new squat list (I am a big fans of DWARF) haahaa.

For the range of the MM, it just have 45 cm, but as an inf with 10cm speed. I can set them as garrisons and with the ability of indirect fire, the range are actually doubled. So if I place it close to the center 90cm radius actually covered 80-90% of the table.