Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Squat/Demiurg Development Thread

Post subject: Squat/Demiurg Development Thread
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 6:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Erik M @ 30 May 2009, 17:42 )

Shouldn't there be two Heartguards? One ordinary and one upgraded with exo-armour.

Could you point out were in the list this is a concern? please be as explict as possible and explain why it needs to be reviewed: Typo, thematic, effectiveness, etc.

The more specific your questions, the easier it is to discuss.

(thanks for moving the thread back on topic)

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 8:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Right...
This is the basic lord and bodyguard of the Squat Brotherhood (and guild!):

As can be seen it carries some firefight weapons and a fairly good armour.
These are also quite common (twice two the below).

This is the exo-armoured one:

There's no other difference between the two than weapons and armour. They are both lords and bodyguard.

All leaders should start out as Heartguard and then have the opportunity to upgrade. And also the living ancestor shouldn't at all be amongst these (an invulnerable save would work there).

092b85658e746a91d343e53509d357744e56f641

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 10:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ah! I see you are asking if there should be 2 distinct Hearthguard profiles? No there are not.

For the same reason that there are no veteran Space Marine squads or variations of heavy weapons; at Epic scale the design needs to be abstract. If there are too many upgrades within the list, especially the support formations, the dynamic nature of how certain units perform is lost. Heathguard are heavily armoured elite with one profile, similar to Terminators.

You should be consistent in how you model them, but I don’t think it matters if you use the pointy-hats or the exo-armour. I even built a squad using Chaos Squats to represent Hearthguard as they have a unique all their own and work just as well.

As for allowing the Living Ancestor in the Hearthguard; I agree with Jaldon that the Supreme Commander for the army can be in any unit he likes, especially among the best infantry in his Stronghold.

You have raised an interesting topic on character upgrades which points to a design issue in the list. By providing the Lord with a unit profile instead of a character upgrade the formation ends up with a mix of abilities that can dilute the formation’s effectiveness, even without upgrades. For example: Bezerker units have Infiltrate, but their Lord does not, which may cause problems in an assault. This may not prove to be an issue long term, but I admit it may require some consideration.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 10:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ok, I can see where that comes from.

The Lord isn't a character upgrade. But should perhaps be one? <-- edit

And... then there's:
1) To few Lord units in the army. Each formation should have one.
2) To bad a save on Lord units.
3) To damn many (exo-armoured) Hearthguard units.

And while at it - to many tunnellings. And a few other points with who in a Squat army has access to what... Like Guild has robots, but not tunnellers. Etc.

092b85658e746a91d343e53509d357744e56f641

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 1:08 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (epilgrim @ 30 May 2009, 15:34 )

In response to your post, if you respect what was done, could you possibly comment on the work as it is now and offer constructive criticism?

I would like to know the names that are being selected for a whole race that is a GW icon to myself and many other players. That's all.

But if that is the secret Mosc is making it out to be, just continue on your own merry way and I will go mine.

Previous Death Guard
Previous Imperial Fists
Previous Chaos Squats

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 6:17 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (frogbear @ 30 May 2009, 20:08 )

Quote: (epilgrim @ 30 May 2009, 15:34 )

In response to your post, if you respect what was done, could you possibly comment on the work as it is now and offer constructive criticism?

I would like to know the names that are being selected for a whole race that is a GW icon to myself and many other players. That's all.

But if that is the secret Mosc is making it out to be, just continue on your own merry way and I will go mine.

Edited  

Here is how I envisioned things going:

1. People could discuss the 'true name' of the Squats (the name they called themselves) here on the forum.  Anyone and everyone could participate by voicing their support or dissent or their own ideas.  
2. With some luck a few front runners would become obvious.
3. The creative team (edited) would make their own vote.  They might pick the #1 choice or the #2 choice or whatever they think fits the body of work .

Edited

I have sacrificed dozens of hours and hundreds of dollars AT MY OWN EXPENSE so that the community can have a continued set of books to enjoy, and it isn't enough.

I have offered the ability to print fan-made books at great cost of time and inconvenience to myself and great convenience to anyone else, and it isn't enough.

So, how about this one...  Let's just change up the rules.  I am going to request every book, starting with Siege, have a public poll done on various things that I think are 'controversial'.  After all, this is CANON were dealing with, right?  This is the all-important-life-and-death decision we have to make and no one man or one team should be able to make such important decisions about a book that will be read by thousands of geeks across the globe.

Edited

----

Edited

----
Or, you can just have some trust that somebody else other than yourself might actually make a decision that might come out right.  Edited

Squats will still be Squats at the end of the day.

EX. Siege.  You know how many things I demanded from E&C for his work?  
1. That it meets the IP guidelines to make sure nobody gets sued.
2. That is has a little tiny symbol on the back cover to show it was printed through Raiders & Crusaders.  

That's it.  I had ideas, I had suggestions, and I offered help.  I drummed up some artwork for him too.  I didn't pressure him into sending me information for approval or taking public votes about the name 'Mossinians' or call for a mandated number of pictures or paragraphs.

I gave him the respect that he deserved after spending the time and energy of making one of these things.

Edited

It's a dog-eat-dog world, and I've got my Milkbone underwear on.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 6:25 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Dude

If you want me off the list for such a little thing as the name, when I was prepared to walk away from it, then that is disappointing.

I just think you are blowing this way out of proportion.

Do your work and I will do mine.

Edited

Just let me know.

I am not a freak. That was uncalled for.

I just think you have taken this far too much to heart.

Previous Death Guard
Previous Imperial Fists
Previous Chaos Squats

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 9:45 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I believe a moderator needs to step in.

Previous Death Guard
Previous Imperial Fists
Previous Chaos Squats

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 12:16 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

I am disappointed that a discussion about a fan development of a fringe list of a game about pushing models across a table can be effectively brought down by a disagreement about what to call the fictional race.

I have therefore closed this thread.

I suggest that people take a few days to breath into a bag, and then someone - not Mosc or frog - open a new thread, with the first post summarising where we are at this point.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11