Login |  Register |  FAQ

Eldar vs Imperial (Space Marine 2nd ed Epic) 3K pts

Post subject: Eldar vs Imperial (Space Marine 2nd ed Epic) 3K pts
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

EDIT: Looong day at work, just going to make the unit positions on deployment clearer and do turn 1.

This is our 4th game. Previously I won the 1st game of 2500pts by 24VP to 12 , the second at 3K points went to me at 40VP to 25 and then the 3rd was the subject of my 1st thread here. So this time I took your advice, however my opponent went with a more standard army this time so I decided to go for another standard army rather than the 2 Warlord battle companies that I was going to take in the event of another Wind Rider and Tempest cheesefest.

We played along the length of 2 wallpapering tables put side by side, 112cm x 180cm. Sorry about the state of the table and terrain, my old gaming board from childhood is long gone and I don't have room for a proper table now. I am endeavouring to make some better terrain, including rivers, lakes, roads woods etc.

Imperial forces: 3K
Veteran Marine company: 850
Chaplain: 50
Devastators: 350

IG Artillery company: 600
Warlord (Death strike head, Fire control, barrage missile, plasma cannon, Vulcan mega bolter): 900
Hydra detachment: 250
Commissar: Free

Eldar forces: 3K

Guardian warhost: 850
Warlock Titan (Pulsar, vibro cannon, 2x lascannon wings): 750
Tempest Detachment: 500

Spirit Host: 500
Dark reapers: 250
Wave serpents: 150

Wraithguard: Free

We both set up at 1 end and placed orders, I won initiative.

Eldar set up and 1st turn orders:

Far left tempest squadron on FF, then Falcons with guardians inside on FF, Warlock Titan on Advance with Wraithguard detachment behind it on Charge. Then 2 warp hunters with Dark Reapers inside and the Warlock behind them with a dreadnought detachment on each side of him, all on C. To the right of them is the Avatar and 2nd Wraithguard behind him, Falcons with Guardians inside on FF and finally Falcons with Guardians inside on C.

Imperial set up and orders:

1st row from the left is veteran platoon in rhinos on C, devastators in rhino on C, warlord on FF, veterans, chaplain, veterans all on C. Then we have the Hydras just behind the hill on FF, behind them a basilisk detachment on FF and then the last row is Basilisks on the left, Commissar and IG HQ middle and Bombards on the right, all on FF.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Eldar vs Imperial (Space Marine 2nd ed Epic) 3K pts
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

1st turn:
Idiot that I am I forgot to take pictures at the end of the turn so I'll just draw some diagrams on the setup photos and then attempt to explain what happened.

The marines charged in and occupied the buildings as indicated on my high tech tactical display. On the right flank the second platoon and chaplain remained embarked, ready to charge the objective next turn, or at least that was the plan. On the left flank the guardians charged in to contest the building the marines were in but only a couple of models actually got into CC, in which the veteran marines put on a poor show and lost 2 stands while killing 1 eldar. The warlord lost all 6 shields to popup attacks from the tempests and the advance fire from the Warlock Titan's Pulsar.

The wave serpents charged in and deposited the reapers inside the building shown. The rest moved forward. The warlord fired its barrage missile at the eldar titan and surrounding wraithguard and dreadnoughts, destroying 2 dreads and 1 wraithguard but rolling a double 1 to hit with the 2 templates aimed at the titan. Balls. The deathstrike took out 3 wraithguard on the other side of the Eldar spearhead. The artillery was entirely ineffective.

I drew a couple of hits on the Eldar titan, thinking it was damaged this turn but now I realise I was wrong, it wasn't hit until next turn.

In the end phase my titan miraculously repaired 5 shields.

Turn 2: To follow when I've had a less trying day at work.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Sounds intresting
sad to hear that the barrage missile failed to hit the titan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

ulric wrote:
Sounds intresting
sad to hear that the barrage missile failed to hit the titan

Yeah, snakeyes. Even if he hadn't been using witch sight I'd have missed.

Turn 2:

Round about the start of turn 2 I began to seriously regret not taking some longer ranged fire-power as I had been advised. I had been unluckly with the Barrage missile, I should really have damaged his titan at the very least but still, taking something long ranged would allow me to hit the Tempests which could happily snipe at me without getting any return fire. That said, the real threat was the titan with its Pulsar and lascannons.

Anyway, I forgot to take Pics at the start of the turn so the first one is halfway through my movement phase I think, so I'll try and explain the best I can.

The Guardians in the bottom left objective went on first fire to brace for the inevitable charge by the veterans. The veterans and their transports did just that and luckily didn't lose any to the shooting IIRC.

The line of Wraithlords and dreads charged forward, The Warlock Titan and Tempests went onto FF and the Dark reapers took up shooting positions at the windows. The Wave serpents charged over to harass the marines flank so I charged the Chaplain and a platoon of vets over to deal with them rather than charge the next objective which was full of reapers which couldn't fire at me since they were on advance orders. Everyone else went on FF.
[I feel that using the wave serpents in this way was a bit of a waste and a mistake on my opponents part, they would have been better protecting the main advance, although most of my troops would have been high enough to fire over them or hit them with barrages. Still, in diverting my Chaplain and his platoon he stopped me from taking the objective with the reapers in it]

This is what the board looked like at the end of the turn.

Assuming my Titan was probably going to go down I fired his plasma cannon at the Warlock titan, destroying his wing and removing his holofield, then damaged something that he repaired in the end phase, I can't remember what it was. The Warlock and Tempests took off all the remaining shields and hit the reactor a couple of times, resulting in a "repair at end of phase or go boom" result.
My artillery made up for their lacklustre performance the turn before by taking out 2 wraithguard and a dreadnought with the basilisks and the bombards demolishing the building with the Reapers in, squishing them before they fired a shot. Hurr hurr. The Devastators took out 2 more drednoughts.
The Falcons from the guardian squad in combat with the vets at the bottom tried to finish off the titan with popup attacks, which did nothing and got 2 of them blown away by my hydras. Awesome.
In CC the Veterans killed 3 guardians for the loss of 1 stand and at the top the veterans and Chaplain dispatched the wave serpents for the loss of 1 stand.

In the end phase my poor battered titan failed its repair roll and blew up. To be honest I don't think having any longer ranged weaponry would have saved it, it was primarily the Warlock Titan that did for it and barring extreme luck I don't think it could have taken down the titan and the Tempests fast enough. Still, it had meant that the rest of my army had made it through to turn 3 virtually unscathed. In hindsight I should have gone for the Warlock Titan with the Plasma Cannon in the first round but figured I could probably damage the wing with the barrage warhead and take out some troops.

Turn 3 to follow sometime soon.

Last edited by scumofsociety on Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:43 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Looks like you can pull of a win this time
very nice report

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

ulric wrote:
Looks like you can pull of a win this time
very nice report

I do win, or at least I was ahead by 3 points when lateness stopped play and would have taken the 5 VP I needed to win the next turn without a doubt whereas the best he could have hoped for is 1 more VP. However a comparatively small mistake that I wouldn't have made if I'd known we were going to call it a night at the end of that turn meant I could have won that round by 20VP to 40. But I have some painting to get done; all will be revealed on turn 3.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:56 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

was reading your other thread last night, was going to post some tips for you but found this. Hope you win.
I should sort my reports out and post them.
Am sorting out my troops this weekend to see what i have for trade, should have some imp guard bikers and riders ( 2x bike comps good sub for rr comp) just the command chain can be a bit of a pain.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:27 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

DNME wrote:
was reading your other thread last night, was going to post some tips for you but found this. Hope you win.

Cheers, as I mentioned above, I do but only just and it was the tiniest of mistakes that stopped it being a 40-20 VP, an apparent stompfest.

anyway...
Turn 3

Since I cunningly forgot to take pictures at the start of turn 3 I'll repost the end of turn 2 with some movement diagrams and orange explodey markers.

At the bottom the Falcons holding the 2nd Eldar detachment charged in to help out the remains of the 1st against the veterans and the avatar charged in to them as well. Thr 2 remaining wraithguard charged onto the rubble and squished remains of the reapers to take the next objective. The Eldar titan moved towards the buildings with the devastators. At the top of the table the Veterans and Chaplain piled back into their rhinos and sped back into cover behind the building.
In the FF phase the devastators took out 2 more dreadnoughts and the Farseer, before return fire from the Tempests and the Titan (in the advance phase) took out 4 of them. The Basilisks zeroed in on the Tempests after they had popped up and they finally managed to knock one out of commission. The Bombard blew away the Eldar Titan's pulsar (in retrospect I should have gone for the head now that my Titan was down since taking down Titan shields was the main job for the pulsar).
In the close combat in the bottom building the eldar lost 2 guardian squads and the last falcon from the 1st detachment ( I forgot to draw an "explode" on him) and the veterans lost a rhino and 2 squads, leaving the objective in eldar hands with only 1 stand of marines left to fight.

So we now had 3 objectives each. The Eldar had 9 VP from destroying the Titan and I had 5 VP for the Spirit host, 3 for the Dark Reapers, 1 for the free Wraithguard and 2 for the wave serpents, making it 24 VP for the Eldar and 26 VP for me.

At this point I was feeling pretty confident of a win, 2/3 of a Veteran company left with a Chaplain to boost their CC and an untouched artillery company and Hydra detachment whereas all his remaining units were either almost broken or badly damaged in the Titans case, the avatar being the exception.
The devastators were 1 away from breaking and with only 2 troop stands left it was probably best to withdraw them from the enemies fire to deny him the juicy VP for breaking them. I reckoned next turn I could charge the 2nd vet platoon into the rubble objective held by the wraithguard. I decided to hold the Chaplain back for the second platoon in case he was lost on CC to an unlucky roll (I generally roll very badly in CC) so that the 3rd platoon in the second wave and the survivors of 2nd platoon would definitely get the benefit of his CC bonus, ensuring the objective was definitely mine. Anyway, below is what the board looked like at the start of turn 4 with orders placed but not revealed.

turn 4 to follow.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

strewth talk about bad rolls in cc with your vets when +4 against gaurdians lol
And only one objective to nab to seize the win.
Good self tactical anlysis, best way to go and develop how you play. Knowing your opponent and their troops, number one rule, I always read up on my opponents army books so i can balance my army.

Was thinking i would of ditched the art company as only good for massed infantry, although bombards good for building demo (as a grouped 9pt barrage though) and they are either really effective or naff never inbetween. I would also drop the warlord titan as points well over priced. Get another vet company and 3 thunderhawk gunships (makes the vets nigh on unbreakable as no rhinos). Also the thunderhawks have a barrage weapon with a good -2 so if used well can hit enemy vehicles in rear and the eldar titan plus fly high (see all troops behind buildings etc and +25cm to shoot at). Also have an imp guard bike company and a det of bombards, 16 stands of bikers for 300 points will keep your opponent on his toes and they are +3 cc (just be careful of c&c with imp guard especially bike and r riders). If you like titans some warhounds nice and nippy and can pack a punch, i like the turbo laser and inferno gun. I much prefer reavers and warhounds although every time i field warhounds they die well easy unlike my opponents that i can't seem to kill.

If you wanted to field 2 warlord bg's i would suggest 5k point battle if your opponent will field more titans too, as will be just as long as titans easy to move. would only be much longer if one side fielded lots of infantry.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Very close and intresting Batrep
thanks for sharing

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

DNME wrote:
strewth talk about bad rolls in cc with your vets when +4 against gaurdians lol

Was thinking I would of ditched the art company as only good for massed infantry, although *SNIP*

Yeah, my CC rolls always go terribly.

I chose the arty to combat his holo shields but in the end the Warlord managed to knock them out anyway. Can you do that with the thunderhawks? I knew you could replace rhinos with deathwind pods but not thunderhawks. Also I'm one of those people who refuses to play with unpainted miniatures (myself, enemy can use cardboard counters for all I care) so I play with what I've got painted, which can be a severe handicap. I don't mind having different titan weapons to what I have on the model but otherwise it must be the right thing and painted.

Right, after a rather long wait here is turn 4.

I did exactly what I said I would in the last post, devastators withdrew to cover behind the building, the last veteran on the bottom objective went on FF and the veteran platoon at the top charged the 2 remaining wraithguard in the rubble objective in the centre.
His last dreadnought charged in to the rubble and his reserve guardians at the top corner bundled in as well. At the bottom the remains of the 1st and second guardian detachment and the Avatar dogpiled the last veteran and rhino.
In the Shooting phase the veteran killed one of the attacking guardians. No one else on either side did anything remotely useful.
In CC the veterans killed one guardian stand before being overwhelmed and amazingly so did the rhino.
The CC at the top was pretty brutal, 4 veterans and 1 rhino went down compared to 5 guardians, a falcon and the final dreadnought.

I had nicely broken the guardian war host this turn and so got a nice fat 9 VP for it. Unfortunately my veteran company had lost exactly it's break point, giving him a nice fat 9 victory points too. Curses.

In a typical display of Xeno cowardice all of his guardians failed their moral checks and went on fallback orders. My veterans somehow managed to roll the 1+'s they needed, although I was little worried I might somehow manage to roll less than one.

However, I held 3 objectives but the rubble was contested, leaving him with only 2.

So Eldar had 9 for the titan, 9 for the vets and 10 for objectives, a total of 28
I had 9 for the guardians, 5 for the spirit host, 3 for the reapers, 1 for the wraithguard and 2 for the serpents plus 15 for objectives putting me on 35.

At this point we realised it was waaaay too late in the night and called it quits.

The board at the end:

Well, not quite the 40 I needed to win but close enough. Next turn, had it happened, I was probably going to take the rubble objective as the guardians were on fallback, so the wraithguard would have taken the same orders.
The Tempests could have made a last minute dash for it but they would be outnumbered and I'd have sent my Chaplain in too. Idiot that I am I forgot to embark the 3rd platoon so they would not have been able to charge in to really make it mine, but even with my appalling CC rolling, 2 vs 6 would have gone my way. All I had to do was kill 1 tempest to break them and get 5 VP which would have given me the win anyway, even if I didn't take the objective.
He could have charged his Titan into the objective as well which would make things a bit more hairy, but I could also have charged with the rhinos from 3rd Platoon with the marines running up behind them, the vets might not have made it into CC that turn but the Rhinos would at least make it 3 vs 8.
If he just charged with his titan it would have been 6 vs 1, or even 8 vs 1 with the rhinos, so really whatever happened I was very likely to get the 5VP I needed and at best he could make it 34 to 35 if he took the objective and killed the chaplain for the VP.
Flattening his other guardians with the artillery while they cowered in cover on fallback orders would also have been entertaining.

All that said, if I'd just charged my chaplain in with the 1st wave I would definitely have killed one more Falcon (the CC vs a vet stand was a draw, so the +1 would have given me a win there) and had a very good chance of killing those last 2 wraithguard as I could have fought 2 more CC's at an even greater numerical advantage and that would have given me the win right there.

Anyway, hope you've all enjoyed the report. I've been playing a couple of intro games of 40K 5th ed recently with the same opponent so Epic has been on the back burner for a bit but I think I'll play another game soon, we'll try to play earlier in the day with bigger armies, plus I've picked up all my old scenery now so the table might look a bit better next time with any luck.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:06 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Any troops boarded wouldn't drag rhino's along. Also thunderhawks good air support and have a barrage weapon. Terrain fine, I used a white sheetwith books under it last year.