Login |  Register |  FAQ

Squats Vs Saim Hann 4000 Points Battle

Post subject: Squats Vs Saim Hann 4000 Points Battle
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:04 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The second battle I played during the Lyon 2009 Tournament, this time I'm facing the Ouhm's Saim-Hann Eldar army:

4000 points Eldar List:

Saim-Hann Wind-Riders Host
Doomweavers Battery
Doomweavers Battery
Nightwings Squadron
Defender Detachment (6 socles de gardiens et 3 falcons) 300 points (point de rupture : 5 ; points de victoire : 3)
Firestorm AA

Defender Host
Revenant scout Titans Detachment
Unicorn Detachment
Unicorn Detachment

Guardian host
Vampire
Vampire
Vampire

4000 Points Squat Army
Guild Biker Company
Goliath Company
Warrior BrotherHood
Colossus
Colossus
Overlord
Overlord
Thunderfire
Observation Balloons
Tarentulas
Rhinos
Termite detachment

Terrain:

On the paper, I consider the eldar list not that great. Lots of weak guardians (but their falcon are a pain when hidden behing a cover and popuping all the game), Revenants are a pain with their holofield, hard to-hit on charge and their small template). I never faced unicorns but I know they could hurt my Colossus with their attack that ignore shields. Off course, there are some doom-weavers, that can be as devastating as ineffective. My main problem is the number of jetbikes, vypers and guardian stands. 3 vampires and 3 nightwings, that'sa lot of flyers for only 1 thunderfire detachment but I hope my thunderers and overlord will be able to destroy them. I'm confident on my army list. Another problem I'm facing: I can't pin the jetbikes/vypers with my bikes so I'll never be able to prevent them from reaching my artillery in 2nd turn.

Deployment:
I placed my forces quite the same as facing chaos:

Eldar deployment:

Turn 1:
Termite detachment stay underground.
Nightwings detachment charge an observation ballon, Thunderfire remove a flyer on snap fire. I did not suspect anything until an empty vampire (my opponent did not place guardians detachement inside the vampires) charge another observation balloon. My opponent has decided to charge my 4 observation balloons with all his fliers! Without my observation balloons, my artillery will not be able to bombard eldar artillery. I snap fire other fliers before they can reach my floaters and a lot of firepower is directed to the air. Eldar jetbikes charge quite everywhere on the table, a bike detachment charge on the left flanck and is charge by 2 motojets detachment, 10 Mj Vs 8 squat bikes, I should be able do win the CC as my CC factor is +4 vs +3 for mj but at this time, I did not thought that my bikes could be charged by guardians in falcons! Guardians charged them and now, the CC will be a real pain for me. On my right flank, Squat warriors charge in the forest to get an objective. Berserkers in rhinos charge the forest in the middle of the table to capture another objective, guardians in falcon enter the forest. Vypers charge on my left flank into ruins just in front of my thunderers.
First fire phase: Colossus on the right remove Unicorns from the table and destroy few falcons. My Goliath cannons, can see the revenant titans on my right flank, they all miss the target except one that manage to destroy a revenant wing. Overlord on the left shot a the revenant and hardly manage to hit it(lot of shots deviation on the titan template) but finally, the titan is hit and destroyed. Globally, my artillery xas ineffective but Eldar Doomweavers were terrible, the always hit something, did not deviate and my thunderer and termite detachments suffered a lot of casualties.
CC phase: at 3 versus 1, my bikes could not do anything. My opponent always used first its guardians in CC, granting bonus dice for vypers. My bikes are destroyed.
Turn 1 End phase: I'm leading at VP (do not remember the exact count) but my fast forces have been really reduced (only few bikes left), Eldar jetbikes are close to my deployment zone and I do not have enough troops to prevent them from charging my artillery...

Turn 2:

Compulsary move: Termite detachment exit on the eldar right flank, just over the objective in the eldar deployment zone. Guardians try to snap fire but miss their shots.

As expected, jet bikes charge my artillery, I can't stop them with the few trikes that were placed to pretect it. On my right flank, surviving overlord advance to be able to shot at the guardians close to objective on the eldar left flank. A Colossus recon gyrocopter charge and hide behind this objective hill. On my left flank, vypers stay in the ruins and consolidate the objective capture. In the forest in the middle of the table, guardians charge my squat berserkers and their rhinos. With the Eldar avatar entering in CC, I won't be able to keep this objective.
Overlord on my right flank that should clean the Eldar objective is engaged by nightwings but point defense are effective and wipe out eldar fliers.
Fire Fire: Colossus destroy as much falcons and guardians as possible, both Defenders Host and Guardians host are broken but do not fall back. Some motojets moving to close to Colossus are hit but point defense.
FF turn: one more time Eldar doomweavers are terrible and kill more squat troops! Overlord on my left flank is hit by Revenant Pulse lasers and is removed while the Overlord on my right flank dodge Firestorm AA fire. This overlord clean the objective on the right and no more guardians are alive on this hill, my recon gyrocopter can capture it safely. My artillery not engaged in CC is still ineffective...
CC Phase: Termite detachment easily win the CC versus guardians, this objective is mine! In the forest, squat berserkers are wiped out. I managed to kill few jet bikes awarding me the Wind Host Riders company VP.
Advance Fire: No many things happened
End Phase: I only have 3 objectives while my opponents has 5. We both reached the victory conditions and this battle is a tie but I was really close to a defeat. My colossus are still in good shape but heavy suppot in my table deployment zone are in really bad position with the jetbikes everywhere.

This was an interesting battle, Eldar strategy was really good, guardians are weak but when they grant a bonus in CC to a better unit, that's a good sacrifice ;) At the end of first turn, I was worrying, I thought I would have lost the battle.

I'll post tomorrow the batrep of my last battle in the tournament a 5K battle facing orks :)

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:24 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Nice read.

:cool:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Very nice more battlereps. :agree:
and 2 very nice looking armies

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I agree. Very interesting battle.

The outnumbering thing is very important to think about. YOur bikes rule most CC but 3 vs 1 will kill them. As a Squat you can very seldom outnumber your enemies. One idea could have been snapping with your colossus against falcons. With 8 battlecannons about 3 hits and of those 2  kills. Could have made the odds slightly better. Then you cant use colossus barrage the first turn and this is a pain..

Your Overlords can fire against enemy fliers (Yes amazing Wooohhh). This could have been used to kill off most of his aircraft in the advance segment after CC. Just if possible try to place them so that the eldar cant reach them the first turn. 80 cm between forces and then setup area. Hopefully more than 100 cm.. Another way is to snap with overlords if on FF.

Thank you for the report. Very much appreciated.

//Peter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:30 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Pettan @ Nov. 18 2009, 18:12 )

Your Overlords can fire against enemy fliers (Yes amazing Wooohhh).

Not sure. Can they ?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:43 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Biel el'Jonson @ Nov. 18 2009, 21:30 )

Not sure. Can they ?

Sure they can! 360° arc of fire :) (We played with the amended fliers rules and 5.2 Codex).

Of course, there's a -1 to-hit penalty but it's still a possibility.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: 

Remind me please. Why would there be a -1 to hit if no snapping?

/Peter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Pettan @ Nov. 18 2009, 21:45 )

Quote: 

/Peter

Because it is written page 26 of the NetEpiC gold Core Rulebook, chapter on the flyer, point 8 ^^

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:42 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Pettan @ Nov. 18 2009, 22:45 )

Because only units noted AA can fire (and snap fire) at fliers without penalty. Weapons on turret or with a 360° arc of fire can shoot at fliers with a -1 penalty or -2 penalty if they snap fire.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

You guys are good!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: 

Quote: (Pettan @ Nov. 18 2009, 21:45 )

Quote:

/Peter

Because it is written page 26 of the NetEpiC gold Core Rulebook, chapter on the flyer, point 8 ^^

Thanks Biel el'Jonson. Your name sounds eldarish! :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Pettan @ Nov. 19 2009, 15:37 )

Quote: 

Quote: (Pettan @ Nov. 18 2009, 21:45 )

Quote:

/Peter

Thanks Biel el'Jonson. Your name sounds eldarish! :D

But it comes from the Dark Angels :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:06 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: 

But it comes from the Dark Angels :)

Eldarish, Angelish whateva :p

Some say tomato I say tomat! :peace:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Nice Batrep, always good to see new stuff and other peoples armies in action.

Snap Fire/AA wise, what penalties would Tarantula's suffer against flyers? (None for Snap and what for flyers?)

Dark Angels would slaughter Eldar being as they are Xenophobes.

[img]http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk120/Warhead40k/Tyranid%20Swarm/DSC02262.jpg[/img]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:45 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Warhead @ Nov. 19 2009, 23:14 )

Snap Fire/AA wise, what penalties would Tarantula's suffer against flyers? (None for Snap and what for flyers?)

-1 penalty for tarantulas shooting at fliers.