Login |  Register |  FAQ

Shootout at Games Workshop Glasgow

Post subject: Shootout at Games Workshop Glasgow
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:34 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I was invited down to the store for a Titan/Gargant bash by Steve AKA Uncle_Cuthulu as a treat for his soon to be birthday this coming Friday. I packed a few things and needed supplies and promptly forgot my camera... don't worry I had recently bought my first ever mobile phone and it had it's own... shame about the quality though. So when I got there I found that the Orks had forgotten to turn up in force and the Mega Gargants would be Great Gargants as the Mega Gargant rules and tables had hidden themselves somewhere... and to worsen the deal the Imperials were already being prepared for battle by Richard AKA TheDracon... in other words I was the Orks... oh, bugger! Outmanoeuvred and ambushed even before the game began...  :vD

TheDracon came up with a cunning arming plan of giving the same Titan types the same weapons... happily I followed suit.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Warhead's Waaagh Get it up yah youse humie basturdz!.. Big Mob - 7025 Points Total

6x Great Gargants (790 points each, 8VP each - 4740 points total).

GutBuster/Gork Head/Gatling Cannon/Ripper Fist/2x Battle Cannon Shoulders

3x Slasha Gargants (645 points each, 7VP each - 1935 points total).

Snapper/Gork Head/2x Death Cannon - Note: The Snapper was a big mistake IMO

1x Stompa Mob... with one Stompa extra (?!?! I dunno ?!?!) call it 350 points, 4VP - 350 points total

It appeared I would be facing two Demi-Legions of the AMTL (I forget the Legion names, perhaps Steve or Richard will drop in and let us know). Each one commanded by Precepts TheDracon and Uncle_cuthulu...

Got to go work now  :sigh:  but I'll do more tonight...  :))

[img]http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk120/Warhead40k/Tyranid%20Swarm/DSC02262.jpg[/img]

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:09 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Work is the curse of the gaming classes. Looking forward to hearing more.  :agree:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Prim and Proper Nancy Legion of the Emperor

2x AMTL Demi Legion Commanding: Uncle_Cathulu and TheDracon

6x Warlord Titans (885 points each, 9VP each - 5310 points Total).

Warp Missile, Plasma Destroyer, Quake Cannon, Turbo Laser, Deathstrike Cannon Head.

8x Reaver Titans (600 points each, 6VP each - 4800 points total).

Warp Missile, Vulcano Cannon, Turbo Laser
8x Warhound Titans (265 points each, 3VP each - 2120 points total).

Plasma Blastgun, Turbo Laser

[img]http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk120/Warhead40k/Tyranid%20Swarm/DSC02262.jpg[/img]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Within the once lively city of Arcadia, now a sprawl of skeletal wreckage the Titan Demi Legions advance. They work their way through the devastation, Warhounds range ahead and to the flanks while a formation of Reavers Screen the mighty Warlords. Suddenly both groups stop, taking flanking positions on either side of a main square. A vast expanse of shattered marble floor and rubble, relatively clear of the remains of the Ministorum buildings present around it.

Beyond the square a line of monstrous and brooding shapes, hulking masses of metal smoke belching from the driving fires deep within them. Like beast the roars of their vast engines snarling and the screams of their slowly grinding, sheering metal limbs echo from the empty buildings.

Enthroned within the Princeps position Uncle_Cuthulu commanded the bridge of the mighty Warlord Argus Victoria. With a mere thought he linked to his counterpart in the Warlord Titan Triumphant.

"These... creatures are undisciplined... we shall draw them into the square using our screen and between us we shall annihilate them."

"An excellent plan, we shall await your signal, good hunting... quick change chanels to FM... they're playing I'm a Barbie Girl!.."

"...Erm, yes quite, good hunting."

Meanwhile (back at the ranch) aboard the Brutish Great Gargant Baw Busta' the Warlord Kaptin TinGutz spoke to all his Krews...

"R'iot Yuz Runtz! We iz ere to keep dem Humie filff from gettin past. Now, I nooz yuz wanna' get stuck in but dat just 'aint gonna' happen. If I catchez even one of yuz gettin' outa' line I'm gonna detonate the hidden charge me BigMek buddy rigged on all yuz Gargants, so listin up maggots... ther'll be no Chargin' off and getin kilt afore I saiz so! What Are WE!

"Weez Orks!"

"What ARE WE!"

"Wea Orks!"

"WHAT ARE WE!"

"WAAAGH ORK!"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:51 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

so 2x demilrgions, do you mean 12 warlords, 18 of each reavers and warhounds?

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:33 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Me Ork... Me not know... Da iz tellin' me dis is 2 Demi Legion. All aye iz nooin' iz der are loadz O'em.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:11 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

An inspired method for a complete failure to produce photos.
Looking forward to seeing more.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Out of the wayz friends Vaaish and Justiniel... there's Humie Kersplatin' to be done!..

TURN 1

Winning the Initiative I force the move on the Imperials.

Warhounds rush forward from the Imperial lines as the signal to advance goes out. Four on each flank. Two of the Warhounds on the Orks Right take up position between two gutted structures on a side street to the square. A massed wall of Gargants faces them across the desolate expanse. The heavier Reavers and Warlords seem hemmed in on the right as they via for better firing positions. Two Warlords and a Reaver win this battle while the other Warlord and two more Reavers take to the extreme right following a pair of Charging Warhounds. The Slasher Gargants, their strengthened boilers growling with barely restrained power slowly chunter back from the line keeping good firing arcs and covering the flanks. The Reavers on the Orks Left have more space to manoeuvre, two screen the Warlords from the entrance to the plaza while the other two support the move by the Warhounds on the Flank. With untypical cunning the Great Gargants use the buildings to cut down Lines of sight from all attackers, choosing carefully to target only a few at a time... and so too only allowing a few enemy Titans to target them also. The Great Gargants in the centre grind forward a little in order to open up avenues of fire for the Slashers behind them. The Stompas march forward screening the left flank as a Slasha and Great Gargant cover their advance. The Ork Right has only a Slasha protecting it from the charging Warhounds.  

With a terrific roar the bellygun of the Great Gargant on the Orks Left opens fire. The Ball round from the Gutbuster lands short of the targeted Reaver and rams straight at it blowing down all it's shields before hitting it's leg causing crippling damage. The Ork Gun Krews holler and punch the sky at the good shot before the Battle Cannon open up with the aid of the Observation Deck. The Reaver takes hit after hit and finally it's hip/groin location gives out under the volley. The Reaver slowly falls backwards to crash ingloriously to the plaza floor. The Great Gargants Gatling Cannon tracks round on the Lead Warhound, the shots blast away the Scout Titans shielding and causes some passing worry as shots deflect from it's armour.

A Warp Missile from a Warlord streaks across no mans land and erupts within the Great Gargant Big Red (Mega Gargant Model) causing minor Hull Damage and a fire. More Shots follow striping some shields. Big Red responds with a Ball round from it's Gut Buster that strips the shields and damages the leg of a Warlord. The Gattling Cannon strips the shields and causes leg damage to another warhound while the Battle Cannon rip into the "shields down" Warlord causing slight damage. More Warp Missiles smash into Big Red but continue to hit the Hull causing nothing more than a fire. More shields disappear as the other weapons target the Gargant.

It's a depressingly bad turn for the Imperials and a bad start. Another Warhound explodes under a torrent of shots while more Warlords and Reavers lose their shields to the Ork Ball rounds from their deadly accurate Gutbusters. The first hit Warlord on the Ork Right takes a hit from a Slasha Deth Kannon that rips into the Reactor causing an imminent overload that will go nova if not shut down in the end phase. The Imperial Fire though heavy and relentless shows little effect against the mighty Gargant Power Fields and Heavy Armour. However, by the end of the turn Big Red has no shields left while Kaptin TinGutz Baw Busta Great Gargant suffers a fire and slight damage to it's Gatling Cannon and Magazine Deck.

The End Phase arrives seeing the Warlord successfully shut down and re-activate it's reactor safely while the Orks watch the Imperial Titans regenerate their Void Shields... unlike their own burnt out Power Field generators. With unprecedented good fortune the fires are contained and get no worse on Big Red while Baw Busta manages to extinguish their own fire. There are many damaged Imperial Titans (mostly suffering from a 4 result from damage rolls to the legs) however the battle had just begun.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

TURN 2

My Orks lost the Initiative this turn but I wasn't worried as Da' Plan was going ahead well enough... Humie Kersplatin' Har Har! Dat nevuh gets old.

On the Bridge of the Argis Victoria...

"Extraordinary these beasts are acting like... men. We must crush them and remove their abhorrent mimicry from the galaxy... in the name of Ming... urm I mean For The Emperor!"

"...Im a Barbie Girl in a Barbie wor.. what!?. Oops, sorry Uncle, yes you are quite right. Hail Ming!... and For the Emperor!
"Err, sire you are wearing tights over tight shorts, what gives dude?"
"Shut up beardy and find the button for the Ming Death Ray already!"
[/quote]

Forced to move first was not a problem. With the Gutbuster re-loading (yes the original three battlecannon shots for Gutbusters would have helped lots at this point) the Great Gargants pulled back a little and some even cut off the Warlords Lines of Sight using the close by ruins. Big Red had no shields left so two Great Gargants steamed in front offering their mass of power fields for protection. Big Red withdrew a little causing a road block against the Imperial Warhounds on the Ork Right Flank but still mostly facing forwards. On this flank the Two Reavers closely followed by the Warlord used the side street and gaps in the buildings to pick out targets while on the Ork Left two Warhounds rushed forward guns trained for destruction while another Reaver appeared behind them to support their advance with a Warlord brooding further back covering them all. Two Warlords with their two screening Reavers strode towards the entrance to the plaza hunting for targets diagonally from them and spotting the stricken Big Red and the Two Great Gargant protectors. A Reaver on the Ork Right side stepped behind the buildings and dared to face the Gargants dead on.

Shots streaked in first from the light Warhounds and Reaver Titans blowing out Power Field after Power Field in sparks and the best of Star Trek pyrotechnic explosions. Then the Warlords lay down a torrent of searing blasts from their Plasma Destructors... Das Boot, one of the Great Gargants protecting Big Red was singled out early on and took the brunt of the attack. It's twelve shields were soon depleted to three and some fires began to take hold as a shot blasted into it's ammo deck and boiler crippling it's movement but despite this it still stood, it's guns blazing away defiantly. TinGutz Boss Gargant Baw Buster took an errant Warp Missile to the arm and the Gatling Cannon sheered off in a blaze of fire. Another hit exploded among the Gutbuster crew starting a fire but not knocking it out as the Krew, ignoring the carnage served the weapon in an effort to get it ready next turn as gangs of Snotlings set about trying to control the blaze. However, it was not all bad news for the Orks however. By the end of the turn many Titans bore the scars of Battlecannon and Gatling shot including another Reactor shut down hit on the same Warlord and another Reaver and Warhound crashed to the plaza floor ablaze with internal explosions.

The End Phase saw the Warlord manage again to safely shut down and reactivate it's Reactor while shields were repaired across the board. Das Boot rolled a five on the Fire Table meaning the fires were taking hold and it could no longer move but it's guns were in working order. Baw Buster dowsed the single fire easily.

Although not done in the end phase I wanted to mention this... Having mostly gone for groin/hip locations on the Warlords and Reavers (mostly rolling a 4 for damage) the Titans had to risk snapping their legs if they moved. Despite the risks most had moved but all seemed blessed in some way because none of the damaged limbs succumbed to the stresses. Normally this is the best location to hit on these Titans and gives a good solid kill.

The Imperials advantage in regenerating Void Shields as apposed to burnt out Power Fields began to tell as Big Yellow (the other Mega Gargant model, used as a Great Gargant here) and the Slasha protecting the Ork Right both lost most if not all their shields this turn. I expected more from the Imperials and was keeping my cool under the pressure and for the cost of 3x Warhounds and Two Reavers the Imperials had only caused damage and some fires... it wouldn't last but I felt quite pleased, so far.

Now over to Otterman our non-gay sponsor for some heart felt words...

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 3:28 am 
I love you guys! In a totally non-gay way, of course. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 5:19 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Looking forward to seeing the wall of Gargants.  Pity you didn't sneak a Steamer or two into the battle.  Hope the Humies get splattered...although only 1 kill from 6 Gutbusta shots doesn't bode too well.  I'd be hoping for at least 2 outrights.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 9:44 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

TURN 3

Initiative won and Gutbusters loaded... I even took the time to record what Gargants were loaded with what round. Big Yellow had one Power Field left and a nice arc of fire between some building into the plaza and the Imperial Titans line of march... he got Chain Shot... never used it before but I had a plan. The rest were loaded with Ball rounds.

Apart from a couple of Gragants that needed to move back into LOS of targets every other Gargant was content to sit back on First Fire Orders. I revealed these orders as each Imperial Titan completed it's move. The Imperial Titans are on the march again. A Reaver moves perfectly into Big Yellows Fire Lane.  "Opportunity Snap Fire!" ...The Chain Shot explodes from the Gutbuster soaring across the plaza to rap around the unlucky Titans legs sheering it off at the middle, the top half topples to the dirt crushing the crew and beginning to burn. Excited roars of blood thirsty joy can be heard from the gun decks of big yellow as the gunnery Krew slap each others backs and laugh at the spectical. (We agreed that the Gargant would have had to trade ALL it's weapon shots for an Opportunity snap fire at one target, since the target was destroyed in the first shot the Gargant wouldn't be able to fire any other weapons this turn).

Decapitated in it's prime, the Reaver meets it's fate.

The Warhounds try again to push forward on the Ork Left.

...again straight into a savage cross fire of a Great Gargant a Slasha and a Mob of Stompas. They have already claimed the lives of one Reaver and a Warhound.

The Great Gargant Das Boot blazes with barely controlled fires as Big Red sits behind it unable to move.

The Boss Gargant Baw Busta faces the Imperial Titans across the plaza.

Attempts to turn the Ork Right flank are met with resistance from Big Red and a the Slasha Gargant Little Red.

No posts please... Ork A-Sleep!

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Wow... I read the topic title and thought some GW-employee had had it!

Good to see it was a battle rep instead!  :agree:  :vD

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 11:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

:)) Yeah, I get that a lot... I just like to mess with peoples minds.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:17 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

ooo....what did the other Gutbusta's do?  The suspense is too much.....hurry, hurry....tell us!