Login |  Register |  FAQ

Shootout at Games Workshop Glasgow

Post subject: Shootout at Games Workshop Glasgow
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:53 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Chaos Warlord off loads some of it's attacks (sorry, I just can't recall what it was armed with... Turbo Laser, Vulcan Cannon... maybe and?..) at one of Richards Warhounds stripping the shields and mangling it's leg thus immobilising the Titan. The Warlords remaining weapons track towards my cheeky Close Combat Warhound and only manage to strip it's voids and damage it's leg.
Richards Warhounds fire with their Vulcan Mega Bolters and Melta Cannons they make short and bloody work of most of the Minotaurs and the two detachments of Chaos Marines behind them... this leaves the World Eaters broken.
The remaining Chaos Marines and Cultists that can fire also target the now shieldless Warhound Titan and three hits strike. One Chaos Marine (?) manages to hit the Reactor. The shot breaching the core. Containment is lost and the Warhound is instantly vaporised in a searing ball of fire taking down one of the Chaos Warlords Shields in the explosion.
My last Warhound fires at the Chaos Daemon Engines but either misses or the shot is saved while my Warlord fires a full salvo of Plasma from it's cannon at the last Chaos Warhound. The shields are striped and one of the Warhounds arm weapons is blown off causing a flashback to the reactor but only minimal damage is caused... however, without power it can no longer fire... until repaired in the end phase.
The Chaos Predators tried in vane to bring Richards damaged Warhound down but only some damage was caused to an arm weapon.

At the end of the second turn Chaos has secured four of the eight objectives, giving them 20VP. They had also broken...

Warhound Titan 2VP
Knight Errant Troop 3VP
Assault Company (Just) 8VP
Inquisitor 1VP

Imperials had lost an Objective (the main one... the point of the game IMO) so had only four of the eight objectives giving them 20VP. They also gain...

Banelord Titan 7VP
Chaos Reaver Titan 6VP
Chaos Warhound 2VP
Emperors Children Legion 6VP
World Eaters Legion 6VP
Chaos Land Speeders 3VP
Chaos Dreadnought Squadron 2VP
Chaos Terminators 4VP
Chaos Havocs 4VP
Khorne Juggers 2VP
Khorne Juggers 2VP
Tzeentch Flamers 1VP
Tzeentch Flamers 1VP

Imperial Total: 66VP         Chaos: 34VP

It was a very good game and I know I had a great time. I even heard later from Richard that some of the onlookers have since been buying Epic Ork models from eBay. Hopefully they will join in here too.

Lads, if I have missed anything or forgotten anything important then please just speak up.

I felt my use of two Artillery Companies to be brutally excessive and that I could have used the Deathstrikes, Tarantulas and to an extent the Leman Russ Company, Warhounds and Inquisitor better... or in some cases at all.

TheDracon and Uncle_Cthulu... was there anything in the battle that you would/wouldn't do or choose again to play?

[img]http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk120/Warhead40k/Tyranid%20Swarm/DSC02262.jpg[/img]

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:28 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Cool great stuff Warhead! :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:40 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Dwarf Supreme @ 26 Feb. 2009, 16:03 )

I would, but my local GW store closed, leaving a grand total of one in all of New England. However, the manager of the store that just closed is opening his own gaming store.  :smile:

Hoi Dwarf Supreme.  Where is he opening up that game store?  btw...  is this the Holyoke mall store that you are talking about or another one?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:51 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well the report seems pretty accurate to me, and I enjoyed reading about it so I can only imagine others who didnt knw the outcome will enjoy it even more.

As for making any changes to my army, I think I would keep the list as is, but would split my dev marines into detachments rather than keep as a company.
I had planned on using the numbers to help counter the fact that chaos troops are just that lil bit better.(ok a lot better in some cases)

It worked with the termies and assualt troops(you could argue I did lose almost 2/3 of the assualt marines, but that 1/3 was still there not falling back and would have taken him another turn to kill.)
So in effect they held up one full half of the board for three turns and with the exception of the bloodthirster nothing in the chaos army even reached half way across the table.

The flip side was the devs really didnt earn their points, it was too much firepower at any one thing and in some cases not all could draw los to suitable targets, meaning a lot were waisted.
So my plan to see just how much firepower a full dev company could throw out kind of fell on its face.

Other than that I think it went pretty well, although I dont think the emperor can ever sit his booboo on the "golden throne" quite the same way after that bloodthirster did who knows what to it. :devil:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

LOL, yeah I don't think the Summer Palace will be much use after all the re-decorating the Bloodthurster will have done... who could be arsed polishing all the skulls and all that brass.

You now know yourself TheDracon the lessons learned when fighting Chaos. Keep him away from you for as long as possible and make him pay to engage in close combat. I always find when I engage I just block my other troops LOS to non-pinned targets... unless it's the right time to charge, obviously.

I think the Assault Marines seemed to pin a lot of stuff in place just nicely in this game though. I think if Stephen had more Juggers or Skimmers or Bikes we may have been toast.

If you guys would like, it might be a good idea to register (I'm already registered) with this site here... http://alfakta.org/ ...I've mentioned it before but if you register you can report on the result of this battle, a simple process. That way your battle and any other reported battle thereafter effects the weekly result of an ongoing campaign. At the end of the campaign there are prizes to be won for the most successful. Free Stuff! The guy who runs it is a forum member by the name of Erik.M you can contact him with any questions you may have. I'll leave it down to you guys to register this report though. But you must do so before the end of the weekend.

Also, I have spoke to some Irish lads here (Justiniel and Daemonkin) who have also expressed an interest to maybe come over and trash our fine lands in a sort of  EpicCelt Battle (I like this name... I'm unsure if EA or what game system as yet) but it sounds like something fun for the future.

[img]http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk120/Warhead40k/Tyranid%20Swarm/DSC02262.jpg[/img]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:11 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Great report as usual. Thanks War~.  :love:

Just wondering where the Alfakta report is...  :oops:

Anyhow, beware of planning to big things close to "cheap-to-Gothenburg"-airports...  :whistle:

092b85658e746a91d343e53509d357744e56f641

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah?.. well I've been mulling that one over too. I think there is room for manoeuvre on that and you would be most welcome to join in. Are you fully NetEpic'd or are you still reeling from your dissatisfaction with EA? :tongue:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm as undecided as can be. Looking into (Classic) Battletech now to get something working and stable.
And then the usual push for other things behind the open curtain...  :shutup:

...especially along the lines that you don't need balanced forces, as long as you run scenarios. You could base it on victory conditions and victory points.

Oops, sorry, no more high-jacking (at least not right now...)

092b85658e746a91d343e53509d357744e56f641

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:11 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well it seems to me that SM2/NetEpic lends itself to larger battles ... like this one ...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:27 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

And as we've seen from Madollin's reports, it's good for small games too!

:laugh:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (dasphynx @ 27 Feb. 2009, 23:40 )

Quote: (Dwarf Supreme @ 26 Feb. 2009, 16:03 )

I would, but my local GW store closed, leaving a grand total of one in all of New England. However, the manager of the store that just closed is opening his own gaming store.  :smile:

Hoi Dwarf Supreme.  Where is he opening up that game store?  btw...  is this the Holyoke mall store that you are talking about or another one?

Another one, the Buckland Hills store in Manchester, CT. The new store is called Warsmith and will be opening by April 1st, I think. It's in East Hartford. A link for your convenience:

link

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Right Lads and Lassies,

Since it looks like I may be getting a few games in with another crew it looks like good ol' Warhead will be playing v5.

Therefore, what I was once able and willing to turn my back on is now no longer bearable. I gotta' say, I'm not much enthused with the lists as they are... as you all know, or soon will know. I will be posting some questions and I hope you can all put up with me while I get sorted... in my own sarcastic and annoying way.  :whistle:  Any help, views and even if required putting me in my place should I over step the mark are all welcome.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for the link Dwarf Supreme.  However it is a little bit too far to make regular trips.  Pity.  We shall see if I can get down there at some point.....