Login |  Register |  FAQ

Tyranid VS Necron

Post subject: Tyranid VS Necron
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi All,

In the next test and tune for the Necron horde, here is an epic 4 turn grinder against the Tyranid swarms.  An interesting test for the Necrons as the Tyranids are similar in many ways, so if this was fairly close I think we could be at least somewhat comfortable with the balance of the Necron list.  Read on and find out how we went:

TURN 1

Initiative - Tyranids

The Necron forces deployed along a broad frontage, with a concentration of forces in the centre and left.  Two of the Monolith detachments started the game deployed, with the third and the Lords Monolith held as reserve.  The Necrons advanced to take up superior firing positions.  

Not surprisingly, the Tyranids on the other hand sounded the charge!  Only the line of Exocrines and the Dominatrix moved forward more watchfully.

The Tyranid first fire consisted of the Dominatrix, but she missed.  Nightbringer lined up his awesome star god power.....and missed.  The Tomb Stalker destroyed an Exocrine, while the Heavy Destroyers showed their mettle (  :vD  ) and killed a Malefactor, put a wound and a limp on the Heirophant and damaged a Trygon.  Advance fire was a little more expansive.  A Monolith was hit by multiple Exocrine rounds but saved them all, as did a Malefactor shrugging off Destroyer shots.  The Heirodule protests at its rough treatment by melting a Monolith and knocking over some Necron Warriors.

In the end phase a Warrior stand gets back up, and the Heirophant repairs its' damaged leg and gets back the wound.

Tyranid 0 VS Necron 0  (close so far!)

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:30 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

TURN 2

Initiative Tyranids

Procedings begin with the obligatory Tyranid spore drop deep in enemy territory.

Snap fire by the nearby Paraiah was completely ineffectual, and all of the Termagants emerged from the spores and went on hunt.  In return, the Necron Monoliths materialised.  The first to counter the spore drop, and the second deep in Tyranid territory.

(you'll have to squint and pretent the Stompers look pyramidy)
The Tyranids again surged forward and smashed into the Necron line in a number of places.  A Trygon ran down 3 Destroyers.

While the Heirophant hit the centre and disgorded the obligatory Genestealers.

For the most part the Necron troops had settled in position to fire on the onrushing bio-mass.  The Destroyers who had taken up a good flanking position did not escape attention, with a brood of Malefactors bearing down on them.

Exocrines start the firefight destroying another of the precious Monoliths.  Destroyers place accurate fire on a Hive Queen but she shrugs off even their Gauss weaponry.  The Tomb Stalker uses its long range to pick off another Exocrine, while the Dominatrix kills a third Monolith.  The hand to hand fighting does not go well for the Necron:

Gargoyle use their flame attack effectively to knock over an Immortal and 2 Pariah, while the Necron Warriors who teleported in virtually wiped out the Termagants from the spores.  Nightbringer sees many targets and promptly misses all 4 Genestealers, but hits the Heirophant.  His mighty weapons will cause D6 wounds and I roll.............1.  It goes without question that he also fails the Crit.  In the final shot, Tyranid warriors kill a Destroyer Lord.  

Tyranid 2 VS Necron 9

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

TURN 3
Initiative Necron

The Necron have the initiative but there are so many Tyranids in contact there is no place to make a tactical withdrawal too, so in the main they hunker down.  Unsurprisingly the Heirophant charges the Tomb Stalker.  It scores a massive 6 hits on the big bug as it comes in, but these equate to a whopping 2 wounds and no crits.  The Ripper Tenticles give the Heirophant the advantage and it stoves in the head of the Necron Titan, destroying it outright.

Many of the other Tyranid broods revert to instinct, but this is not a huge impediment to their overall plan (i.e Kill EVERYTHING).  Immortals snapfire at the 2 Trygon charging them, killing one, and miraculously surviving the attack of the second.  Pariahs kill some Tyranid Warriors and the Heavy Destroyers kill another Exocrine and wound a Queen.  Hand to hand combat again is not much fun for the tin men.

Nightbringer goes a long way to redeeming himself.  His bolt strikes the rear of the victorious Bio-Titan and does an impressive 4 wounds.  However, the Heirophant regenerates 4 of the 6 wounds she is carrying.

Tyranid 26 vs Necron 20

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

TURN 4

Initiative Tyranids

The slower moving Tyranid units now join the fray to the consternation of the scant remaining Necrons.

The Heirodule stays put and kills a Heavy Destroyer.  They respond and add another 2 wounds to the big bug (4).  The last remaining Monolith kills the last Trygon and the final remnants of the Termagants.  Nightbringer then improves on his previous performance and loads the Heirophant up with another 6 wounds! (10).  A Hive Queen is knocked over and casualties mount on both sides.  Again, the hand to hand fighting is heavily in the Tyranid favour, swapping a Malefactor for 2 Pariah, a Destroyer and a Warrior.  The Supreme Commander takes advantage of the supine Heirophant and loads it up with another 2 wounds (12).

After further casualties the battlefield was nearly bare.

The end phase saw the Detroyers phase out, a couple of Warriors stand back up, and the Heirophant regenerated 7 wounds.....noooooooooo!  

And after 4 gruelling turns of carnage, the final score was:

Tyranid 32

Necron 32  

Last edited by zap123 on Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Jeeze Louise but that was a gore fest!

Against tyranids you need cheap troops to get mauled while your good stuff guns the scaley little bugs down. Is there a cheap option for Necrons?

Still, an absolute draw, not too shabby! How do you feel they played against Tyranids? Fair balance? It looks like it from the report.

Thanks for posting!  :cool:

[img]http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk120/Warhead40k/Tyranid%20Swarm/DSC02262.jpg[/img]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for the Game Zap

Well getting a bit tired of my lovable bugs coming up against terror immune armies :)

Anyway it was a great game.

I find the Double VP for destroying units is a bit of a curse (it is fairly easy for a good player to hide a unit or two to prevent their loss) so it was refreshing to face another army trying to do the same thing.

Something that we identified that needs clarifying is to do with the spores.

The spores increase the Break value and VP cost of the unit they attach to but it is not clear as to if there is an actual model that sits on the table.

Technically it took the Break point for the termagant unit to 11 which is more than the number in the unit.

I also find Razorfexes are a bit slow and will probably swap to Haruspexes in the future. I have to mix things up as I am becoming a bit predictable.

This was the battle I should have used my Chaos lads for I feel. Khornate demon engines actually having the lead on the 2nd turn would have been unusual :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:19 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Warhead @ 01 Oct. 2008, 17:44 )

Against tyranids you need cheap troops to get mauled while your good stuff guns the scaley little bugs down. Is there a cheap option for Necrons?

Still, an absolute draw, not too shabby! How do you feel they played against Tyranids? Fair balance? It looks like it from the report.

Thanks for posting!  :cool:

The modified Destroyers are relatively cheap and actually did a good job of holding up the Tyranids in spots.  I know we probably haven't exactly captured the 40K version, but I think they are really useful as they are now, whereas before they were just a lesser version of the Heavy Destroyer.  The Pariah are also come in the equivalent of a Marine Scout Company (size, points and stats are same/similar) for a cheapish fodder unit.

I think the army played pretty well, and I think the score speaks to the balance....the Tyranids are the most similar NE army list and after 4 turns it was dead even.  I think we are pretty close to done.  I took some different stuff this time around and they worked as they should I think.  The Immortals were pretty hard and hung around for a long time.  Pariah were useful "filler" and helped keep the Heavy Destroyer company anchored to reality.  The Tomb Spider was pretty limited in its' effect....didn't even get a mention in the BatRep.  I think Nightbringer is a little uber vs Tyranids, but he will be a bit underdone against everyone else, so I wouldn't really change him.....it's good to have a secret weapon against particular armies.  The modified Destroyers worked great.  The improved CAF meant they could occupy forward positions and still be able to take on close combat opponents with a degree of confidence.  They held up some key Tyranid attackers...but eventually were overwhelmed and Phased Out.  The Monoliths and the Raider company as a whole are pretty spot on...the Monoliths give the ability to be anywhere, but they are still fairly fragile, and the fact that Teleport is in the compulsory movement phase stops them from being cheese. I did mean to try the Orbital Barrage during the game but completely forgot in the heat of battle.

Oh, and if OzT had only regen'd 4 or 5 of the Heirophants 8 wounds in the first two turns instead of 6 of them we would have won!   :tongue:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:19 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hierophant was basically dead - so 14VPS for the necron unless I got lucky

However a heap of the necrons must have been close to vanishing

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:23 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hierophant was basically dead - so 14VPS for the necron unless I got lucky

Those things are notorious for getting up fit for the fight after having been shot to bits on previous turns.

We have been using this house rule...
Units that become Immobilized during battle due to damage are vulnerable to attack. They may not move, even to turn in place. They half their Caf result in Close Combat and all enemy Ranged attacks targeted against it gain a +1 to hit. Units with Wounds become Immobilized when they exceed their Wound limit and are placed on their side. Not to be mixed with 'Immobile' Static support/artillery weapons.

Zap, I still think the Destroyers could be increased to five units in a squad and the cost increased (250?). They are meant to be fast assault types and the Necron infantry have six units per Phalanx so it seems three units are a bit light.

The Tomb Stalker you use looks great. I've been looking about for something to proxy but I think I will probably just go for a 40K Tomb Spider - The rules I have say that the Tomb Stalker is a Skimmer but the template has lots of leg locations. Are both correct?
I also like the model for the Warhammer Tomb Lord Scorpion and may buy it for spares or use it instead for the Tomb Stalker. May be too small.

Counted my Necrons (Chaos Androids) and I have 63 stands of 5 units. That should be enough but I could dilute them by placing only three Necrons per stand and stretch them out further.

Here are my ideas for my Necrons.

Necron Warriors - Chaos Androids
Immortals - Chaos Androids with white painted faces
Pariah - Space Marines (Not beakies) with guns modified
Flayed Ones - Eldar Striking Scorpion hacked and greenstuffed to bits
Wraith - There are some good ideas around but not sure yet.
Destroyer - 40K Scarabs with Ork or Marine torso and some sort of weapon
Heavy Destroyer - same as Destroyer but with a Marine Torso and longer gun made from old square base flag pole.
Tomb Spider - 40K Scarab with moded claw thing + Gauss thing on front
Some sort of Necron Knight - One of the 40K Necrons (Wraith?) or just bits and pieces of some of them put together interestingly?
C'Tan - Loads of ideas Warhammer wood elfs, Undead Wights etc and so on
Monolith - Presently thinking of mucking about with card. I know! sounds insane.
Pylon - I have ideas but I haven't put to much thought this way yet.
Tomb Stalker - 40K Tomb Spider, Warhammer Tomb Lord Scorpion

So, when's the next battle?   :tongue:

[img]http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk120/Warhead40k/Tyranid%20Swarm/DSC02262.jpg[/img]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:58 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Warhead @ 04 Oct. 2008, 08:23 )

We have been using this house rule...
Units that become Immobilized during battle due to damage are vulnerable to attack. They may not move, even to turn in place. They half their Caf result in Close Combat and all enemy Ranged attacks targeted against it gain a +1 to hit. Units with Wounds become Immobilized when they exceed their Wound limit and are placed on their side. Not to be mixed with 'Immobile' Static support/artillery weapons.

Zap, I still think the Destroyers could be increased to five units in a squad and the cost increased (250?). They are meant to be fast assault types and the Necron infantry have six units per Phalanx so it seems three units are a bit light.

The Tomb Stalker you use looks great. I've been looking about for something to proxy but I think I will probably just go for a 40K Tomb Spider - The rules I have say that the Tomb Stalker is a Skimmer but the template has lots of leg locations. Are both correct?
I also like the model for the Warhammer Tomb Lord Scorpion and may buy it for spares or use it instead for the Tomb Stalker. May be too small.

Counted my Necrons (Chaos Androids) and I have 63 stands of 5 units. That should be enough but I could dilute them by placing only three Necrons per stand and stretch them out further.

Here are my ideas for my Necrons.

Necron Warriors - Chaos Androids
Immortals - Chaos Androids with white painted faces
Pariah - Space Marines (Not beakies) with guns modified
Flayed Ones - Eldar Striking Scorpion hacked and greenstuffed to bits
Wraith - There are some good ideas around but not sure yet.
Destroyer - 40K Scarabs with Ork or Marine torso and some sort of weapon
Heavy Destroyer - same as Destroyer but with a Marine Torso and longer gun made from old square base flag pole.
Tomb Spider - 40K Scarab with moded claw thing + Gauss thing on front
Some sort of Necron Knight - One of the 40K Necrons (Wraith?) or just bits and pieces of some of them put together interestingly?
C'Tan - Loads of ideas Warhammer wood elfs, Undead Wights etc and so on
Monolith - Presently thinking of mucking about with card. I know! sounds insane.
Pylon - I have ideas but I haven't put to much thought this way yet.
Tomb Stalker - 40K Tomb Spider, Warhammer Tomb Lord Scorpion

So, when's the next battle?   :tongue:

That house rule is pretty close to how it works now....actually I think the rules are a bit harsher.

I took skimmer away from the Tomb Stalker after seeing that concept sketch.  A 40K Tomb Spider would be perfect.  The Mechwarrior Stalking Spider is a much cheaper alternative :)

63 stands of Chaos Androids....amazing!  

My thoughts/proxies

Chaos Androids - Lasgun Guardians with their head "de-pointy'd"
Immortals - Mk2 Ork Boys
Pariah - I like the idea of Scorpions here but don't think I'll have enough.
Flayed Ones - plastic plaguebearers modified suitably
Wraith - yeah, this is a scratchbuild.
C'Tan - yeah, some nice Warmaster options, or Heroclix is a good source too if you want GD sized models.
Pylon - I'll scratch my own in reduced scale....it looks too big in scale IMO.
Monolith - I'm hoping a commercial version will come out before I'm forced to make my own.

I'm learning how to be a junior cricket coach this week, so maybe next.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

after seeing that concept sketch.

Huh?!.
Stalking Spider is a much cheaper alternative
Where?..
63 stands of Chaos Androids....amazing!
Why?.. You used to get loads of 'em and nobody used them.
Pylon - I'll scratch my own in reduced scale....it looks too big in scale IMO.

I was going to try a scratch build but there actually is a mini for this? Who? Where?
C'Tan - yeah, some nice Warmaster options, or Heroclix is a good source too if you want GD sized models
A 40K C'tan would look ok too, I think.

I'm also thinking of buying a 40K Monolith for an Abattoir type thing. I know, crazy.

In my set of rules there is a 1700 point company of Necrons with Monolith but I can't figure what these are supposed to be and why they are so expensive. Can anyone take the time to spell it out to me? I've obviously missed the point... again.

so maybe next
Yipee!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:59 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think somebody might have taken a 40K Pylon and scaled it down to 6mm and made some resin copies.  If that did happen they'd look far too large for my tastes.....lots of the really big stuff in Epic is dropped down to 1/600 and I think that's what I'd do for a Pylon too.

Monolith company was lots of points before all the playtest games.  Formula costing suggested a Monolith was worth 225-250 pts, and the Necron Warriors were 200 per detachment.  4x250+3x200+Lord and retinue = 1700.  After rule changes and testing the Monolith is 150 and the big company 1200 points.

I think the revised Slann + Necron book is basically done, so if the big P is ok, I should be able to post it to the Yahoo site as soon as I turn it into a locked PDF.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Excellent. Thanks for the update mate.

Oh, just received my first twelve Scarabs... and I bought (eBay) another twenty... I couldn't help myself. I've tested a paper version of the Monolith and it looked workable. Template is drawn and card procured so I may have something to post soonish.

Post subject: Re: Tyranid VS Necron
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:37 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Not really a report as neither of us remembered to bring a camera, but I played Ortron using Necrons against his AMTL. Probably the closest thing to a perfect match up for them, and Ortron did bravely forge ahead with his knights instead of hiding when a company was close to being wiped out, but the good news is the Necrons won in the third turn. So with some final proof that you can win with them I am happy with the revised Necron list. Just waiting for the Gold book now :)

Post subject: Re: Tyranid VS Necron
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:10 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yes it was a pretty close game but a well deserved win to the necrons in the end. A deep striking monolith/immortal? combo did well and netted 14VP (couple of lucky shots in here..). If not for that the AMTL might have won the day or at least grabbed a draw.

After that it was a last gasp charge by the remaining knights. If they could grab the two contested objectives they would have won/drawn me the game but in the end they got shot down before they could kill enough necrons.

Its been a long time between netepic games for me so we'll probably need rematch shortly Zap, in order to restore the knights honour :)

For anyone intersted, AMTL army consisted of:

Paladin household
+Castellan Det
+Basilisks Bty
+Mech Hvy Platoon
+Warlord with (GB, MRL, VC and Barrage ML)

Lancer Household
+Thunderbolts
Warlord with (2x Melta Cannon, CFist and Laser Burner)

Cheers