Login |  Register |  FAQ

Hive Fleet Dagon 4.71 vs Cadians (1.5?)

Post subject: Hive Fleet Dagon 4.71 vs Cadians (1.5?)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:49 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

This was my first game running the new Hive Fleet Dagon list, against Mard's Cadians tournament all-comers list. I've already posted some general thoughts on Dagon in the development thread, which may be of interest.

Tyranids (Dagon 4.71)

Quote:
Primary Synapse
350 - Major swarm, Hive Tyrant, 4x Zoanthropes, 3x Carnifex, Mycetic spore
350 - Major swarm, Hive Tyrant, 4x Zoanthropes, 3x Carnifex, Mycetic spore
200 - Minor Swarm, 3 Warriors, 10x Gaunts (8 Termagants/2 Hormagaunts)

Secondary Synape
400 - Attack Swarm. Barbed Hierodule Prime, 2x Barbed Hierodule.
275 - Nest swarm. 8x Biovores.
275 - Nest swarm. 8x Biovores.
200 - Nest swarm. 4x Biovores .
200 - Infestation swarm. 3x Ravener Alpha, 5x Ravener.

Independent
200 - Genestealer swarm. 7x Genestealers with Broodlord
150 - Bio-vessel. Razorfiend.

Cadians (v1.5?)
Quote:
825 - Warlord Titan
650 - Cadian Regimental HQ. Leviathan, Commander, 7x Kasrkin, 3x Sabre platforms, 2x Sanctioned Psykers
200 - Kasrkin Infantry Co. Commander, 7 Kasrkin, 1 Sanctioned Psyker.
200 - Kasrkin Infantry Co. Commander, 7 Kasrkin, 1 Sanctioned Psyker.
175 - Kasrkin Infantry Co. Commander, 7 Kasrkin.
250 - Hellhound Platoon. 6 Hellhounds.
125 - Sentinel Squadron. 6 Sentinels.
125 - Sentinel Squadron. 6 Sentinels.
200 - Super Heavy Tank platoon. 1x Shadowsword.
250 - Artillery battery. 3x Manticores.

Deployment
Guard garrison 2x Kasrkin Co. Tyranids announce turn 2 spaceship arrival.

Turn 1. Guard win initiative.
1. Cadians sustain Manticores at righthand Biovores.
2. Cadians retain to double Hellhounds on road and shoot central Biovores. Central Biovores overwatch for 2 hits (both saved), placing 3 BMs. Hellhounds kill 2 Biovores for 3 BMs.
3. Dagon double leftmost Small Swarm and shoot at leftmost Kasrkin garrison for 1 BM.
4. Cadians advance Shadowsword and shoot the Attack Swarm for 1DC off a Hierodule.
5. Dagon double Attack Swarm into cover and shoot Kasrkin garrison for 1BM.
6. Cadians fail to activate rightmost Sentinels and hold.
7. Dagon marches rightmost Small Swarm into light cover.
8. Cadians advance Hydras and shoot at marched Small Swarm, killing 2 Gaunts for 1 BM.
9. Dagon place blitz Biovores on overwatch.
10. Cadians advance Reg. HQ (Leviathan), firing at Hierodules for no damage.
11. Dagon marshall rightmost Nest Swarm garrison, clearing 4 BMs.
12. Cadians march leftmost Sentinels to screen garrisoned Kasrkin
13. Dagon double Genestealers around hill
14. Cadians double Warlord and fire at Attack Swarm, killing both non-synapse Hierodules. Broken Hierodule Prime retreats to behind a hill.
15. Dagon march Small Swarm, leaving cover
16. Cadians advance Kasrkin and shoot midle small swarm (that just activated0 for 6 dead gaunts and 1 BM.

Remaining units Overwatch. End of turn 1, all units rally.

Turn 2. Cadians win initiative.
1. Cadians sustain Hydras on rightmost Small Swarm, killing 2 gaunts.
2. Cadians retain to sustain Kasrkin into central Small Swarm, killing 2 Warriors + 1 Gaunt and breaking it. Small swarm retreats.
3. Dagon active Razorfiend. Barrage hits and kills 4 Kasrkin of the leftmost garrison. Mycetic Spores planetfall into leftmost and central forests, placing additional BMs on Kasrkin and Sentinels + killing 1 sentinel.
4. Dagon attempt to retain with leftmost Major Swarm, but fail on a 1. With no SupCom reroll, the swarm holds and fires at the nearest Kasrkin for 1BM.\
5. Cadians advance Reg. HQ and shoot central planetfalled Major Swarm, killing 1 Hive Tyrant, 1 Carnifex, and 3x Zoanthropes. The unit breaks and retreats.
6. Dagon engage left Sentinels with leftmost Small Swarm, killing all.
7. Dagon retain to engage leftmost Kasrkin with Genestealers, killing 3 for 1 loss. Supporting fire from Major Swarm and Small Swarm kills the rest.
8. Cadians engage rightmost Small Swarm with Sentinels, killing 2 for 1 loss. Cadians win the engagment and the Small Swarm retreats, broken.
9. Dagon sustain rightmost Biovores on Hellhounds, killing 1 and breaking them with disrupt. The Hellhounds retreat.
10. Cadians place Manticores (on cooldown) on Overwatch.
11. Dagon sustain central Biovores on broken Hellhounds, but only kill 1 (no hits).
12. Cadians advance Shadowsword and fire on rightmost Hive Nest for 2DC.
13. Dagon rally surviving Hierodule, clearing BMs.
14. Cadians advance Warlord, shooting leftmost Small Swarm. 4 Gaunts and 1 Warrior killed for 2 BM.

All remaining units (blitz biovores, Kasrkin) roll over Overwatch.
All units except rightmost Small Swarm rally.

Turn 3. Raveners emerge in cover next to Cadian blitz, Cadians win initiative.
1. Cadians sustain Manticores (using re-roll) on leftmost Large Swarm, also hitting Genestealers. 1 Zoanthrope killed,= for 3BMs on Large Swarm and 2 BMs on Genestealers.
2. Cadians retain to sustain with blitz-guard Kasrkin, but are forced to hold and shoot Raveners at -1 for no kills.
3. Dagon fail to sustain with rightmost Biovores and hold, removing BMs.
4. Cadians advance Warlord and shoot left Large Swarm and kills 1 Zoanthrope and 1 Carnifex, breaking it.
5. Dagons sustain with central Biovores on exposed Kasrkin, killing 2 and placing 5 BMs.
6. Cadians double Hellounds and shoot Genestealers (no casualties?)
7. Dagon engage Hellhounds with left Small Swarm, losing 1 gaunt for no kills. Dagon lose assault by 1, breaking and retreating.
8. Cadians advance Shadowsword and kill rightmost Hive Nest, breaking the Nest Swarm.
9. Dagons sustain blitz Biovores on Shadowsword, hitting twice and breaking it (no damage). Shadowsword retreats.
10. Cadians advance right Sentinels and shoot right Biovores, killing 1.
11. Dagon engage Sentinels with centre Large Swarm remnants, cause no casualties, and win combat by 3. Sentinels break and retreat.
12. Cadians engage central Biovores intermingled with Small Swarm with Reg. HQ, wiping out the Nest Swarm for the loss of 1 infantry unit and taking the objective. Central Small Swarm retreats broken.v
13. Dagon advances sole Hierodule and fires on central Kasrkin, breaking them.
14. Cadians fail to activate Hydras and hold, firing at Raveners for 1 BM.
15. Dagon Raveners engage blitz Kasrkin shielding Manticores and blitz, killing all but the Commissar for 2 (gaunt) losses.

I don't seem to have recorded which units rallied, but I believe the Shadowsword, surviving blitz-guard Commissar, Sentinels, rightmost Biovores (without synapse) and left Small Swarm all remained broken as shown. I'm also not sure what had become of the Genestealers at this point.
End of T3: 0-0 objectives. On to turn 4!

Turn 4. Dagon wins initiative.
1. Dagon Raveners engage blitz Manticores, destroing the formation.
2. Dagon retain. Hierodule sustains on Hellhounds for no damage.
3. Cadians double Hellhounds (using re-roll) and shoot central Small Swarm, wiping them out.
4. Dagon sustain with blitz Biovores on Hellhounds, killing 1 and breaking the formation.
5. Cadians sustain Warlord on BTS Hierodule, killing it.
6. Dagon rightmost Small Swarm holds, preventing them from marching to block the movement of the Hydras.
7. Cadian Hydras double to contest the Raveners' hold on the Blitz, while shooting causes no damage.
8. Dagon middle L swarm engages Leviathan heroically/stupidly, and is wiped out having caused no damage.
9. Leviathan sustains on broken middle Small Swarm, killing all except 1 gaunt.

End of T4: 2-0 win to Cadians (BTS, T&H).

Post-game notes: first, go have a look at my post in the Dagon thread (linked at the top) for general impressions of unit value. The most important take-home for me was that Dagon formations seem to drop units like flies, but the high starting numbers + Expendable gaunts means that they remain unbroken and relatively combat-effective for a surprisingly long time while doing so.

This game felt quite strange for me as the Dagon player. The only part of my plan that really worked was taking the enemy blitz with tunneling raveners and clearing the leftmost objective with infantry and a spore drop(before failing to hold it or take the adjacent objective). In return, neither of my planetfalling units really achieved anything of note and it felt like I was losing units left right and centre to Cadian shooting from turn 1 to turn 4... but at the end of the game, the Cadians only just managed a 2-0 victory. One small change in gameplay (hiding my BTS rather than feeding it) and one successeful 2+ to activate my final Small Swarm in turn 4 and screen the Hydras from the Cadian blitz could have easily turned that a 1-1 draw (T&H vs Blitz), despite my feeling thoroughly outplayed by the end of the game.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Hive Fleet Dagon 4.71 vs Cadians (1.5?)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for the write-up. I'll add a link on the HFD frontpage.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:35 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Good read, excellent diagrams!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:55 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I wish every batrep had some tactical diagrams like this. Can actually follow the strategy. Bravo

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!