Login |  Register |  FAQ

Vior'la Tau 2.2 v Blood Angels 3.1

Post subject: Vior'la Tau 2.2 v Blood Angels 3.1
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:11 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Grabbed a game against mattie's blood Angel's last Friday. I hope he'll weigh in with his thoughts of the list. Apologies if I mix up some of the details. I took too long to write this up and now forgot some specifics.

Vior'la
Fire Warrior Breacher (6/3) BTS
Shas'o
Skyray
Drones
Fire Warrior Breacher (6/3)
Skyray
Pathfinder (4/2)
Pathfinder (4/2)
3 riptides
3 R'varna
Stealth group (4 stealth/2 ghostkeels)
Stealth group (4 stealth/2 ghostkeels)
Supremacy with POMD
Razor shark
Razor shark

Blood Angels (think I'm missing a formation)
Death Company
Bike detachment
Bike detachment
Devastator
Librarian
2x stormravens
Land speeders
Land speeders
Spacecraft
Tactical
Terminators
Thawk
Thawk
Storm Talons

Turn 1
Tau were set up on the right of the table (see image.) Pathfinders were garrisoned forward, as were mattie's land speeders. Besides the dev bts, the rest of his army was off board, with the bikes in the thawks. I was lucky enough to win strategy and activated the Supremacy suit first, sustaining on a formation of land speeders, killing 2 but they remained unbroken. Next I retained and doubled my FW formation to fire on the damaged land speeders killing two more and breaking them.

Mattie responded with advancing his landspeeders on the pathfinders in the airbase, activating their OW. This was enough to kill four of them, breaking them.

The game took a breather here as both sides started to manage activations. I set a formation of razorsharks on CAP. Mattie ground attacked the pathfinders with the talons to place a second blast marker. I set the second razorshark formation on CAP.

Mattie advanced his devs, firing on my forward fw formation, destroying a Devilfish with a blood strike missile. I doubled with my Riptides, destroying the stormravens. The blood angels ground attacked the beat up pathfinders with a thawk, breaking them. The second thawk flew in seeking a ground assault on my R'varna. The razorsharks capped the thawk, destroying it on a crit, but were all shot down in return AA fire from the thawk. I marched the lucky R'varna to end turn 1.
Attachment:
20190531_203915.jpg
20190531_203915.jpg [ 115.6 KiB | Viewed 4823 times ]
Attachment:
20190531_201307.jpg
20190531_201307.jpg [ 169.56 KiB | Viewed 4823 times ]
Attachment:
20190531_200236.jpg
20190531_200236.jpg [ 123.52 KiB | Viewed 4823 times ]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Tau AC: viewforum.php?

Net EA Chair

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Last edited by gunslinger007 on Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Vior'la Tau 2.2 v Blood Angels 3.1
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:45 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Turn 2

All broken formations rallied.

Tau again won activation on turn 2. The Supremacy suit unloaded on the two strong landspeeders wiping them out. The terminators had teleported in behind my Supremacy suit. I made a tactical mistake here. I engaged them with my boys fire warriors, except this let them charge into my Supremacy suit since it was closer. Tau won the engagement, killing two terminators, but the suit lost two DC in the process.

Blood angles responded with the strike cruiser. Mattie had plotted it almost perfectly, dropping the blast on where my BTS had moved into and caught the Supremacy suit and nearby pathfinder with dead wind launchers. By the time it was all said and done, my BYS was down to three fire warriors, a Devilfish, drones, and I was out a supreme commander. Tac squad and death company spilled out of the drop pods. The death company activated to try and wipe out my BTS. My pathfinders tried to OW, but only two sniper shots landed. The chaplain showed up with box cars to continue into combat. The engagement went rough for the DC, only killing a devilish and drones and bounced off, losing two stands in the process. The support of the Supremacy suit helped.

The Riptides doubled back, setting up a marker lit crossfire with the pathfinders on the tac squad hugging terrain. I retained with the unbroken fWs to finish them off. The ba talons failed to activate because of BMs. A stealth formation that had teleported, fired on the devasators to kill the librarian.

Mattie brought on his remaining loaded thawk, set on wiping out my bts. My CAP did nothing, the bikes wiped my bts off the board. I doubled my R'varna again to pick off another devastator.

The round ended with the solo landspeeder zipping back to his own blitz and my pathfinders marching on the BA blitz.
Attachment:
20190531_213551.jpg
20190531_213551.jpg [ 135.5 KiB | Viewed 4823 times ]
Attachment:
20190531_213025.jpg
20190531_213025.jpg [ 151.28 KiB | Viewed 4823 times ]
Attachment:
20190531_205223.jpg
20190531_205223.jpg [ 159.68 KiB | Viewed 4823 times ]
Attachment:
20190531_204734.jpg
20190531_204734.jpg [ 124.48 KiB | Viewed 4823 times ]

Net EA Chair

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:57 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Turn 3

Blood Angel won the initiative. Unfortunately, they were in a bit of a pinch by this point. My second stealth formation teleported down on my blitz to help defend it.

The bike formation engaged my FW formation, winning the engagement. I maneuvered with putting my pathfinders on the BA blitz. Once the stealth formation and Riptides defended the Tau blitz, and the BA bts was killed, we called it a game. There was some minor movement activations just to make sure, but that was pretty much a wrap.

Tau 3 (BTS, Blitz, T&H) - Blood Angel's 1 (BTS)
Attachment:
20190531_213759.jpg
20190531_213759.jpg [ 121.92 KiB | Viewed 4819 times ]

Net EA Chair

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:12 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Reaction

Mattie played a good game despite getting stuck with several bad deals, especially: losing first activation twice, the exploding thawk with bikes, and the death company assault. The thawk was especially rough since it meant the R'varna were unharmed and he was down to activations. Another bike formation running around my blitz would have made for a very different game. He was a good sport about it and was fun to play against, as always. His bombardment strike was perfectly positioned and did enormous damage to my BTS and killed off my SC after only getting to use his reroll in the first round.

As for the list itself, I don't feel it was the best performance from the heavy suits. I had trouble positioning them against a drop army. The R'varna especially spent most of the game repositioning. The stealth and ghostkeel formations are brilliant. While a bit more expensive, it allows me to react with what can feel like a slower army sometimes with the heavy suits.

The Supremacy suit and the pomd was really helpful and helped clear the one landspeeders formation. However, on turn three, it was uglier on turn three when all targets were inside the minimum range. Those secondary weapons didnt do squat. I do think they're fine though, as the primary weapon system is really what you're shopping and better secondary weapons will only push the price higher in a list that doesnt need larger price tags.

Razorsharks are a glass cannon. Real good at what they do, but I'd never want to run an AA gauntlet. That save just gives way under fire.

Still having fun with the list and I hope others are as well, on both sides. I think there's decent options for viable builds with the list and am excited to see what else people are doing. I will say, a BTS of four R'varna felt like a much better idea after those FWs got glassed by the orbital!

Net EA Chair

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:27 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It was a total shit show on my part. If the dice did not fail, I made poor tactical choices throughout. I never had a solid plan, not enough stick time, and reacting with a list meant to dictate pace. Gunslinger is too nice, I porked it.

I like the storm ravens as they are currently. When using them and facing them. Red Thirst feel right. The overcharged engines should be on every rhino haul.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:04 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for the detailed report. Looks like the blood angels struggled to get a grip on the game, losing a few formations before they could do anything.

I'm wondering about the shot down thunderhawk, if the tau fighters died to flak how did they kill the thunderhawk? Defensive flak goes first in an intercept/cap. Seems quite important in this game.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:55 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

m_folais wrote:
I like the storm ravens as they are currently. When using them and facing them.

Glad to hear it :)

Quote:
Red Thirst feel right.

Also glad to hear that!

Quote:
The overcharged engines should be on every rhino haul.

I just checked the list and they are on Rhinos, Hunters, Razorbacks, Predators and Vindicators, did I miss something?

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for the battle report and some great pics!

Personal & Wargaming Blog: http://www.theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk

EPIC WIP: Grey Knights, Space Wolves, Eldar