Login |  Register |  FAQ

EA Tau 6.01 vs (mostly) NetEA Codex Marines

Post subject: EA Tau 6.01 vs (mostly) NetEA Codex Marines
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I played against Ryan's Tau (Jstr19) again this Monday, and again took some photos.

He used 6.01 Tau, and I used NetEA Codex Marines with one change:

- Vindicators with the following stats/costs:
Speed 25cm, Walker Ability, 50pts.

Here's my army list:

Tactical formation with Supreme Commander - 400pts
Hunter - 75pts

Whirlwinds - 300pts

Predator Annihilators - 275pts
Hunter - 75pts

Land Speeders - 200pts
Land Speeder Typhoon - 25pts

Assault formation with Chaplain - 225pts

Assault formation with Chaplain - 225pts

Thunderhawk Gunship - 200pts

Devestator formation with Librarian - 300pts
Vindicator - 50pts

Warhound Pack - 500pts

Thunderbolt Squadron - 150pts

Total: 3000pts
Activations : 10

Yes I really did choose to take a Vindicator instead of splitting up the Warhounds!

If Ryan will post his army list, I'll edit it in here later.

Profile Send private message  

Brood Brother
Brood Brother

TURN 1:

The Stealth formation teleported into the large black building, and the annoying no 1's teleport roll can be seen in the picture below labelled 'some dice'...

...it was, however, almost the last good luck Ryan was to have.

CLICK FOR LARGER VERSION

Not in any particular order, as I'm going from memory...

STRATEGY ROLL : Marines!

The Marines began the game by trying to put the Thunderbolts on CAP... after two 1's, it was the Tau turn. :)

Barracudas go on CAP.

Devestators Double forwards and lob some shots at the Broadsides on Overwatch. Only the Vindicator hits, and the Broadside suit passes its save.

Crisis Formation Doubles into the tower building and lobs some long range shots at the Devestators (no kills).

Hammerhead formation Doubles forwards to lob some shots at the Whirlwinds, laying just one hit which is saved.

Warhound Titans Double over to the wood-from-which-all-the-trees-have-fallen-off, and shoot the Stealth formation, killing 4 units and breaking them.

Whirlwinds attempt to retain and fail, Marshalling off their BM.

Recon formation Doubles forwards to spread out around the black building, lighting up the Warhounds. They lay a BM on the Devestator formation.

Tactical formation Doubles forwards to occupy the three bunkers, and kill a single Tetra.

Fire Warriors 1 Double forwards and lay some BM's on the Tactical formation (some hits, no kills).

Land Speeders Double to lay a BM on Fire Warriors 2 (actually killing one!)

Fire Warriors 2 attempts to Marshall, fails, and rallies off its BMs.

I had been intending to send in my Thunderhawk now against the Fire Warriors, but without any BM's on the enemy formation I was wary of doing that. Instead I sent it in against the Crisis Formation in the tower.

And I did it in a stupidly brave/foolhardy manner. Like, really stupid.

Two Skyray shots hit the Thunderhawk as it comes it, which are saved.
The Barracudas bounce onto the Thunderhawk, laying two hits, both of which are saved.
The Thunderhawk then lands in the centre of a triangle between the tower, the large black building, and the Broadside Suits.
The infantry disembark, all charging the Crisis units in the tower.
The Broadside suits unleash their Overwatch, and my Thunderhawk is Markerlit and in Crossfire from the Recon formation that is now clustered around the Black Building.
Broadsides score 3 AT hits, of which I save 2, and 3 AP hits, of which I save 1. Two Assault units are killed.

The Assault formations then roll to attack, killing a single Crisis Suit unit.
The Crisis Suits get no kills in return.
The Broadside suits score no kills from their supporting fire.
The Land Speeders nearby score 3 MWFF hits, and wipe out the remaining 3 Crisis units.

The Broadsides take a BM for supporting a losing engagement.
Assault formation 1 has two units remaining and breaks (It had been shot at, been hit in a crossfire, and lost two units)
Assault formation 2 occupies the tower.
Thunderhawk remains where it is, damaged and with 3 BMs on it.

As an air assault is treated as one formation until the end of the assault action, we applied one BM to the whole formation for coming under fire from the Broadsides (they targetted both the thunderhawk and Assault 1) and also only one BM for claiming a crossfire kill.

As both the Assault and the Thunderhawk formations were in crossfire, we played that I was allowed to choose which formation took the BM for taking a crossfire casualty. Is this correct, or should both Assault 1 and the Thunderhawk have taken a BM for being hit in a Crossfire, after the engagement was resolved?

I think it should have been the latter.

Anyways, if the latter, then the Thunderhawk should have broken at this point as it was on the ground, and popped out of existence at this point. It scored no further kills this game and so it was effectively had popped out of existence anyway.  :grin:

The Initiative 2+ Crisis formation (which was to be a focus for playtesting in this session) was therefore destroyed without recieving any real testing at all.  :)

SC Crisis formation Doubles out wide, laying some shots on the Tactical formation for no damage.

Predators Double forwards, put the Hammerheads near the Bunkers in crossfire (using the Tactical formation in the bunkers) and kill 4 Hammerheads, the remainder retreats, broken.

AX-1-0's enter the board, and using the Markerlights from Recon 2, place two TK hits on the Warhounds.

Ryan then exclaims 'Awwww CENSORED!' as his TK (d3) hits both roll a three, meaning he strips the shields and a single DC from each Warhound, but fails to kill either, as the hits must be applied across the pair in this case.

=====

End of turn, the Thunderhawk disengages, the Barracudas disengage and receive a BM from AA shooting but take no hits. The AX-1-0's are hit once and make a saving throw, also disengaging.

The Ghostly Thunderhawk disengages.

Warhounds rally, raising a shield each and dropping down to 1 BM.
Stealths rally and stop being broken.
Devestators rally, removing all BMs.
Broadsides fail to rally.
Assault 1 rallies.
Recon 2 fails to rally.

Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Turn 1 had seen the Tau take a couple of crucial losses. Late in the turn they had lost heavy hitters in the form of a Crisis formation and a Hammerhead formation.

Could they begin the fight back now?

CLICK HERE FOR LARGER VERSION

STRATEGY ROLL : TAU!

Uh oh.

Fire Warriors 2 Advance sideways, markerlight the Land Speeders, and kill them all.

Following on SC Crisis formation makes a Coordinated Fire action.

Fire Warriors 1 uses the CoFi action to Double into the far left corner where Zombocom's Obelisk is making a cameo (can you tell we work on painting and modelling whilst gaming when playing at home? :) ), and lobs some Guided Missiles back at the Tactical formation's Rhinos (they are Markerlit from Recon 1), scoring no hits.

SC Crisis Suits Double over to near the grey building next to the Stealth formation, then lob a bazillion shots over at the Tactical formation... all of which either miss, or are saved. The Crisis formation then moves into the grey building.

The Marines, sensing the dice (and apparently tactical knowhow, judging by that wacky Coord Fire manuever!) have deserted the Tau, go on the attack!

The Tacticals Engage the Crisis formation, declairing the Stealths intermingled, and kill them all for no losses.

Whirlwinds retain to bombard Fire Warriors 1, killing four infantry units and two Devilfish, breaking them.

The Barracudas attempt to activate and stand down.

The Broadsides sustain fire at the nearby Devestators, spectacularly failing their attack rolls and the paltry few hits are saved.

Devestators attempt to move over into a supporting fire position near the broadsides, but fail to activate. They shoot, and the Vindicator lays one hit, which is saved.

Recon 1 triples over to near my dead pile. :)

Warhound Pair massacres Recon 2 with their Vulcan Megabolters.

The AX-1-0 squadron either came on and failed to kill or damage anything.

Predator Squadron Advances, lays six hits on the broken Hammerhead formation, all of which are saved! One of the two Hammerheads explodes in panic anyway, leaving just one tank left to kill for me to claim BTS.

Thunderbolts attempt to buzz the Hammerheads, and fail to activate.

Assault 1 had hoped for Devestators in support, they are up by 1 before engaging due to BMs and a Chaplain, and so decide to attack the Broadsides alone anyway. After two rounds of combat they are wiped out, for the loss of no Broadside suits.

Ghostly Thunderhawk fails to activate.

=====

End of turn.

AX-1-0's are shot at but dodge the Hunter fire and exit the board.

Recon 1 fails to rally
Broadsides fail to rally
Recon 2 fails to rally
Fire Warriors 1 fail to rally
Hammerheads fail to rally

Warhounds rally
Devestators rally
Predators rally

heh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:49 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Turn 3 didn't take long.

CLICK FOR LARGER VERSION

Warhounds nuke Fire Warriors 2
Thunderbolts break Recon 1
Predators kill the last Hammerhead (BTS!)
AX-1-0's lost one plane to AA fire and took a single DC off one Warhound.

Ghostly Thunderhawk Engaged the Broadsides, failed a saving throw, and evaporated, having scored no kills. It was just a mirage I guess.

=====

End of turn, Marines win 4-0

Marines took every victory condition apart from preventing enemies to get into my table half (because of those unkillable Broadsides!).

Then we went out to Open Mic night, of which I have pictures and video, but will not be making a 'battle report' of the evening's events. :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:49 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

There's little I can say about this game. The dice weighed things really heavily in my favour a lot of the time, and that combined with some... uh... experimental... manouevers from Ryan led to a swift walkover.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Placeholder for sarcastic denigration.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:11 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (zombocom @ Oct. 27 2009, 15:10 )

Placeholder for sarcastic denigration.

Quiet, foolish Zombicom! You are a cad and a bounder!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

"Quite" indeed.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (zombocom @ Oct. 27 2009, 15:19 )

"Quite" indeed.

Aha, being as you didn't use the quote function, I can retroactively edit my typo to make you look foolish, and then tell you to be quite again!

Dammit.  :grin:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Battle reported!

TRC, you can post (again) now. :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:24 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

lol at random labels on photo's  :cool:  thanks for the battle report E&C

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:31 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Quote: 

Land Speeders - 200pts

Do you really use this often?  I can't imagine many situations in which it would be beneficial to sit back and use the Typhoon instead of getting close to let the entire formation fire.  In fact, the only one I can think of would be a badly damaged formation of just a couple units, where one of the survivors is the Typhoon.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (nealhunt @ Oct. 28 2009, 12:31 )

Quote: 

Land Speeders - 200pts

Do you really use this often?  I can't imagine many situations in which it would be beneficial to sit back and use the Typhoon instead of getting close to let the entire formation fire.  In fact, the only one I can think of would be a badly damaged formation of just a couple units, where one of the survivors is the Typhoon.

It's my standard Land Speeder formation; It came in handy in this game, as on turn 1 I was able to Double to put a BM on a Fire Warrior formation (as hopeful prep for an Engagement) that was out of range of the Multi-Meltas, but then also left the Land Speeder formation in supporting fire range of an entirely different Tau formation.

When the Fire Warrior formation subsequently removed their BMs, I was able to switch my Engagement target for my Thunderhawk and hit a Crisis Formation near to the Land Speeders instead (although it was a very, very risky landing, being as I was putting myself in crossfire and also being markerlit, with only mildly surpressed Broadsides nearby).

So it adds a little tactical flexibility, by tripling the BM-laying distance of the formation for only a minor loss in FF ability, in this case allowing me to put in place a 'plan B' (Engage the Crisis Formation) in case the Fire Warriors removed their BMs before 'plan-A' (Engage the Fire Warrior formation) could be finished.

Having already used my SC re-roll on the first (and twice-failed) activation of the turn, I couldn't risk just retaining, so I had to hand the activation over, knowing the Ryan could Marshall the Fire Warriors (making them a much less appealing target), but I also knew that if I didn't lay a BM on the Fire Warriors, Ryan could just use them to kill my Land Speeders (as he did the following turn) instead of being worried about an engagement. 'Plan C' (should Ryan have managed to marshall off his BMs and kill the Land Speeders) was to Engage the Broadsides.

=====

On an incidental note, Ryan noted last night that if he had have left his AX-1-0's only in range of one Warhound on turn 1, his two d3 '3's would have destroyed a single Warhound, rather than just scratching the paint on both...

...so he should have used a 'clipping shooting' tactic there, to bring down one Warhound and break the other.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Did you realise there is a girl in your house? Quick, hide the wardollies!  :whistle:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Fortis @ Oct. 28 2009, 13:19 )

Did you realise there is a girl in your house? Quick, hide the wardollies!  :whistle:

I would, but I'm not twelve.  :grin: