Login |  Register |  FAQ

Push to complete a Gargant list - 2019

Post subject: Re: Push to complete a Gargant list - 2019
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

AnthonyS wrote:
Played with my list yesterday (possibly an outdated version of the list) but was really good fun.

What needs to happen to get this list formally signed off and ready for Tournament Play (and can we do it for March)???

12 reports from 3 different groups
read the CRaP document
https://www.tacticalwargames.net/taccmd ... 69&t=24023

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for the update.

Quick Summary of my game (with a list that may be 50pts over)

What i took:-

Great Gargant - Mekboy big boss, 2 soopa zzap gun, mega lobba
Gargant - Soopa zzap gun, grot guided misile, gatling kanon
Gargant - soopa zzap gun x 2, mega lobba
Supa Stompa - 3 soopa gun,
Supa Stompa - 3 soopa gun,
Fighta Bomba - 3 flyers
Fighta Bomba - 3 flyers

He had a Steel Legion force with a mix of tanks, super heavies and artillery.

The Gargants were able to stomp forward to capture the Take and Hold that i'd placed pretty central. We had lots of woods and urban areas which we agreed would block line of sight since they're area terrain (not sure if this was correct). This kept quite a few of my units hidden from his Shadowsword and Leman Russ horde.

Not much damage was done either way but i broke enough of his smaller formations to prevent him from capturing enough of the objectives to win. In the end a Gargant with an overblown boiler captured his Blitz after the guarding unit was broken by Fighta-Bombas.

Main learning points: - the mega lobbas and Supta-Stompas were great at putting out blast markers that broke the small units. My opponent admitted that the threat of 3 Gargants made him play quite conservatively, when he could have out-ranged me with his Russ formation.

We have a rematch in a few weeks and expect to get a kicking when the Russ company sits on his table edge battlecannon sniping.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:16 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

howd your opponent take it? fun?

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:49 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hmm, they were hamstrung with some really bad activation roles and thought the gargants were more dangerous than they were. They enjoyed the game but weren’t sure how to stop 5 big beasties stomping around.

If they knew what gargants could do, they’d have played more aggressively and probably done a lot more damage.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:30 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It can be a bit daunting for a newer player to know what to do against a war engine army. Standard tactics against low activation lists like titans and gargant are to break and kill the weaker formations to reduce their number (i.e. playing against your list put the effort in to killing the Supa Stompas and the Fightabombers) and have the benefits of an activation advantage. Most 3k Epic Armageddon armies (exceptions could be Guard lists with Deathstrikes or lots of Shadowswords) are pretty unlikely to be able to kill a Great Gargant so it’s better to kill the stuff you can and stay away from the Great Gargant mostly. Perhaps sacrifice some scouts or less important formations to screen it and slow it down at times as needed. The tournament scenario has 5 victory conditions and only one of them has to do with killing the enemy so focus more on the other objectives.

Quote:
We had lots of woods and urban areas which we agreed would block line of sight since they're area terrain (not sure if this was correct).

Most players play all terrain blocks line of sight to things the other side (even to a titan or gargant). You can see 10cm into an area of woods or the like but not through it to anything beyond the other side (even just an edge of a wood where it’s less than 10cm across blocks line of sight beyond it).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:28 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote:
Most players play all terrain blocks line of sight to things the other side (even to a titan or gargant). You can see 10cm into an area of woods or the like but not through it to anything beyond the other side (even just an edge of a wood where it’s less than 10cm across blocks line of sight beyond it).

Yeah, we also put bases under the urban/city terrain and played that as area terrain - so combined with the woods it cut down quite a lot of visibility which i was accidentally able to take advantage of.

I'd love to take them to a tournament as they're just so cool to play - but not sure (in a 1 list format tournament) how popular they would be to face.

Also realised i need to print off a card for each gargant, showing shields, DC, fires and weapons - as keeping track of everything proved a challenge