Login |  Register |  FAQ

What's in Your Landa Mate?

Post subject: What's in Your Landa Mate?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi folks,

Thanks again for all the help you've given this new player. I'm really enjoying the Orks and apologise if the questions are never ending!

Speaking of never ending questions, I once again have a question about Landas!

Under the notes it states:
Quote:
DC3, Planetfall, Reinforced Armour, Transport (ten of the following units: Boyz, Dreadnought, Grotz, Killa Kan, Kommandos, Nobz, Skorcha, Stormboyz, Warbikes, Warbuggy; plus four units of Grotz, Light Vehicles and Dreadnoughts count as two units each). Critical Hit Effect: The unit and all units on board are destroyed.

I also read a fantastic strategy post http://www.tacticalwargames.net/taccmd/viewtopic.php?f=95&t=18429 that indicated:
Quote:
Some prefer taking Kults of Speed (10 Warbikes for CC or 10 Skorchas for FF - 250 points) for the extra tactical flexibility after the initial assault. In the Speed Freeks list, the option to take 10 Outriders with the price cut for a Big formation is quite effective. If you're in an especially Orky "leave 'em behind if they can't keep up" mood, you could take a Kult of Speed with 2 Boyz/Grotz. Sacrifice them in the initial assault and if any survive, just drive off without them (You get BMs for the units being "killed" but, Hey! You're an Ork!)

My confusion perhaps comes from my interpretation of the rules (I hope!) My reading of the notes section under the Landa entry lead me to believe that it can hold 10 'slots' of units plus 4 grots, and that Dreads and light vehicles counted for 2 slots. However reading the excellent article above makes me think I'm misinterpreting this rule because he mentions having 10 Skorchas in a Landa. Would someone mind steering me down the correct path as to what I can put in my Landa?

Thanks!

Joel

P.S. What do you put in yours? I like the boyz and grots myself, but a Kult of Speed sounds fun!

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: What's in Your Landa Mate?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:04 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Runejack wrote:
However reading the excellent article above makes me think I'm misinterpreting this rule because he mentions having 10 Skorchas in a Landa.

He's wrong in the article. You could only get 5 Skorchas in a Landa and that is not a valid starting formation.

I like to use a Boyz mob with two extra boyz and grotz. Although I see others taking additional Nobz instead more often than not.

Bikes are an interesting as you can land and shoot with them...... Or just engage

I do this a lot with my Speed Freaks.

NetEA Ork + Feral Ork + Speed Freak Champion

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:22 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah, I've swtiched to using Nobz instead of additional Boyz and grots in my landa's: packs a hell of a lot more punch and if you get really lucky with the hits I'll very often take my casualties for assault from amongst the boyz making the formation harder for the opponent to beat in subsequent 'counter attack' assaults...those 4 nobz usually help to make sure that a rallying formation that was dropped last turn end up with very few, if no, blast markers too making them far better at being behind enemy lines.

I'm yet to try taking bikes in a Landa but if I did I think I'd take the option of two extra boyz with the grotz an let them be the casaulties before zooming off the next turn.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:43 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ork Infantry of various types based on overall mission ... since Infantry moves slower than vehicles, this puts them right on or near an OBJ or other key terrain ...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:24 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I think 2 extra boys +2 grotz is pretty good, the extra nobz are nice but I tend to think of air-assaulting orks as somewhat 'disposable' as once the grotz are dead they find it that much tougher to win assaults..... I like how Reedar has a single landa which is often juet left till the third turn and can usually land and nab the blitz quite handily....it certainly screwed up my plans!

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:02 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

kyussinchains wrote:
I think 2 extra boys +2 grotz is pretty good, the extra nobz are nice but I tend to think of air-assaulting orks as somewhat 'disposable' as once the grotz are dead they find it that much tougher to win assaults..... I like how Reedar has a single landa which is often juet left till the third turn and can usually land and nab the blitz quite handily....it certainly screwed up my plans!

I thought a Landa could only contest an objective on the turn it lands, not claim?

Thanks for the confirmation and clarification (oh man 10 scorchas would have rocked but too broken). I've consistently gone with the 2 boyz and grots but I'm tempted to swap one set for a stormboy.

Joel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:14 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

the landa can only contest, but the orks can claim it!

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:29 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

warbands with +boyz or +nobz

+kans can also be neat if you're going to use them to slash up some armor. not sure if optimized but ~whatever~

never used bikez off a landa, speed kults to me always needed to be bigger than a landa allows, and the speed on them allows them to do what the landa allows them to do anyway, just IMO. besides, i usually mix skorcha and buggies in with the bikez in anyway, and landas can't really deploy those.