Login |  Register |  FAQ

Ork Supplement Lists v3 (.04)

Post subject: Re: Ork Supplement Lists v3 (.04)
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:04 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Evil and Chaos wrote:
Basically yes. People were seeing the list more as an opportunity to field all their stompas than as a gargant list.

If they had extra gargant models but were choosing stompas over them, then I suppose that’s a problem (arguably). It seems like a heavy-handed solution though. What about only allowing ‘normal’ stompa mobs, and limiting them to one per gargant formation? Or only allowing one non-gargant formation per gargant, like in other titan lists? (Actually, that’d be harsh in the ork list because other titan lists have <350pt titans that allow more flexibility.)

If those players just happened to have only two gargant models that they wanted to use together, and needed a way to fill in the rest of their points, then I assume they’ll just turn to the other support options and their army will look even less like a gargant list than if it had stompas.

Sorry, I’m not as emotionally invested in this as my number of posts in this thread suggests. Just having one of those days at work, waiting for my analysis to run and my mind melting from staring at spreadsheets, needing something else to think about.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:41 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

carlisimo109 wrote:
Evil and Chaos wrote:
Basically yes. People were seeing the list more as an opportunity to field all their stompas than as a gargant list.

If they had extra gargant models but were choosing stompas over them, then I suppose that’s a problem (arguably). It seems like a heavy-handed solution though. What about only allowing ‘normal’ stompa mobs, and limiting them to one per gargant formation? Or only allowing one non-gargant formation per gargant, like in other titan lists? (Actually, that’d be harsh in the ork list because other titan lists have <350pt titans that allow more flexibility.)

If those players just happened to have only two gargant models that they wanted to use together, and needed a way to fill in the rest of their points, then I assume they’ll just turn to the other support options and their army will look even less like a gargant list than if it had stompas.

Sorry, I’m not as emotionally invested in this as my number of posts in this thread suggests. Just having one of those days at work, waiting for my analysis to run and my mind melting from staring at spreadsheets, needing something else to think about.

I had always dreamed of a Gargant Army with little cute Stompy's following into batte. I have mention and push for the Stomp for sometime but E&C is firm on this :'(

IIRC the Stompy list has no Basic Stompa's! Mega Dread's are nice and all but when the "Core" Stompa lists are beign turn into Mega Dred lists is makes me a Sad Panda

Always looking to Trade!
Angel's Trade Thread

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:39 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

I feel likewise AoC.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ghaz's Orks - Allows Stompa mobs in Normal/Big/Uge
Stompy Onslaught - Allows Megadread mobs in Normal/Big/Uge

Gargant Bigmob - Is about *gargants*, not AV's.

Quote:
I had always dreamed of a Gargant Army with little cute Stompy's following into batte.

Fine, take a Ghaz's Orks list.

Big Stompamob (6 stompas) - 400pts
Attached Flak - 35pts

Attached Flak - 35pts

Gargant - 650pts

Stompamob (3 stompas) - 225pts
Attached Supa Stompa - 275pts

Warband - 200pts
Attached Killa Kan - 25pts

Fighta Sqwadron (3 FB's) - 150pts

Landa - 200pts

3000pts.
21 Stompas, a Supa Stompa, a Gargant, and a Killa Kan.
Also some aircraft and a Warband to go in the Landa.

A Gargant Bigmob list that allowed the same kind of force composition (more or less) would just be the same, but better.

If all you want is Stompas + Gargants, play Ghaz's Warhorde. If what you want is a *GARGANT BIGMOB*, that focuses on *GARGANTS* and the *MAD MEKBOYS* that built them, well, there's a list for that. :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:13 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Arise!

I've been looking at the Stompy Onslaught list lately. I really like it, and it captures a lot of what I want to do with my orks (not that I've got anyone to play with). I have a question regarding balance, though - although keep in mind I haven't played the list at all:

The Mega Dreads seem undercosted to me when compared to other, similar units. Compared to the Stompa, it basically trades in one Big Gun for a pair of Big Shootas and a 25 points cost reduction. Compared to a Space Marine Dreadnought it has an overall better chance to pass its armor save as well as protection against macro weapons - and while I didn't crunch the numbers, it seems like it's better armed, as well. As far as Ork Dreadnoughts go, you pay 15 points for RA, better FF and more weapons. That seems like a bargain.
And on top of this, you get the option to upgrade with an Oddboy.

So I was wondering how they perform on the table? From what I've gleaned, pretty good. But are they too good?

Also, lastly, while I get the impression you were already sick of reading about this two years ago, I'll throw another vote in for including Stompas. The simple reason is that I'd really like to make a list where I can include both my stompas, many dreadnought and gargants in cool, stompy mobs. In Ghaz' list, not only am I limited to 33% points on Gargants - which means only one in a 3000 points list - but if I want Dreads, I either have to take a Stompa mob or a Warband and pad them out. Neither are optimal solutions to me. I'd love it if you simply added an "OR 3 Stompas" option to the Mekboy Dreadz Mob. Even if they don't fit too well with your "modern 40k" theme, they do fit the stompy theme, would add versatility to the list and would give people like me the chance to field their favorite models together.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:22 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote:
The Mega Dreads seem undercosted to me when compared to other, similar units. Compared to the Stompa...

The Stompa is overpriced in the Ghazkull list. :-)

Quote:
Also, lastly, while I get the impression you were already sick of reading about this two years ago, I'll throw another vote in for including Stompas.

I'm not the AC anymore, but I would advice including too many awesome things in a single list, because it'd end up bloated and impossible to balance.