Login |  Register |  FAQ

gorkanaughts are they stompas

Post subject: gorkanaughts are they stompas
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I know epic armageddon is mostly old 40k mainly up until about 5th or 6th edition 40K. There are some new lists coming out, of which a few have actiually been approved.

However the newer ork stiuff like gorkanaughts and morkanaughts look like stompas to me. If they are actually a different unit in the 40k uiniverse, then what current list are using them if any?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: gorkanaughts are they stompas
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

They are pretty much Epic Stompas, up-gunned like usual with newer GW units. Remember that every Knight class unit in EA lists around 2005 was a AV with RA regardless of faction.
Making every Imperial Knight DC2 was a later change, not related to their size.

Last edited by Abetillo on Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:42 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Bad Moons, the topic at the top of the forum before this thread.

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks all, so they are like the smaller knight titan class for the orks. I will check out the bad mnoons thread Dave.

I saw some STL files for them on a website (you had to pay for the files, and did not know if it was worth whiole spending even approx $8-12 for a file which itself might have to be rescaled by 1/3 and then might not work out for printing once rescaled.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Epic Stompas aren't really a thing in modern 40k scale orks. The plastic 40k Stompa model they brought out for 40k years back is more the size and equivalent of the Supa Stompa in the Epic Ork list.

If you want to use Gorkanauts/Morkanauts there are stats in the Bad Moonz list but also totally fine to just the models as Epic Stompas. Same for Meka-Dreds too which are another roughly similar unit.

There are free versions of the files around too, ask on the Epic 3d printing facebook group maybe.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Roughly speaking,

40k Gorkamorkanauts = Epic Stompas.
40k Stompas = Epic Supa Stompas or even Slasha Gargants (they're roughly in between the two).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

IJW Wartrader wrote:
Roughly speaking,

40k Stompas = Epic Supa Stompas or even Slasha Gargants (they're roughly in between the two).

It depends on what you use as comparison. Using wh40k Warhounds and Epic ones ...

Background wise, more or less: they use Gargants' with a mix of pieces of Mekboy Gargant/Supa-Stompa background, but it is also because they treat it like they don't build anything bigger than wh40k Stompas.

Rules-wise, they are around as tough as wh40k un-shielded Warhounds or a bit less, depending on the book. Weapon-wise, they look like Supa-Stompas or bit up-gunned.

Size, wise, no way. http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-knwWORZM8yk/U ... C_0001.JPG
Using Epic and Wh40k Warhounds as reference they are quite smaller than Supa-Stompas. I would say that they are a bit bigger than EA metal Stompas, a bit taller but have a bit less in width and depth.

Size wise using the Warhounds as reference i would say that EA Stompas are between Gorkamorkanauts and wh40k Stompas.

Last edited by Abetillo on Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:06 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Having seen the GW releases for their Ork War engines from the times when Armorcast made them to the times when GW and Forgeworld made them. Using that knowledge, the Gorknaughts are larger than a DeffDredd or a MegaDredd, The Stompa is definately larger than a Gorkanught, and the Gargant/slasha gargant even more so. To me they appear to be like an ork version of a smaller knight class. Perhaps the equivelant of say a tau Stormsurge /Supremacy, or the Greyknights Nemesis Dreadnight (maybe a little larger).

They would be a knight class. Super stompas, Gargants, Slasha gargants, Steam Gargants and so on are all various classes of the Orks titans. I was just enquiring if any list was about that used them. This has been answered - The Bad Moons list. And whether I could just use stompas to represent them, however that list also has stompas. I saw a 40K scale Gauknaught on a site - not saying which site so it is not 404'd or removed. It cost money to download, and one file was low poly, the other nicely detailed, but had too many parts. I was deciding whether to buy it and rescale it for epic. I have since decided not to, as I have had bad luck rescaling 40K scale stls, especially when they are multi part.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Abetillo wrote:
IJW Wartrader wrote:
Roughly speaking,

It depends on what you use as comparison. Using wh40k Warhounds and Epic ones ...

Background wise, more or less: they use Gargants' with a mix of pieces of Mekboy Gargant/Supa-Stompa background, but it is also because they treat it like they don't build anything bigger than wh40k Stompas.

Rules-wise, they are around as tough as wh40k un-shielded Warhounds or a bit less, depending on the book. Weapon-wise, they look like Supa-Stompas or bit up-gunned.

Using Epic and Wh40k Warhounds as reference they are quite smaller than Supa-Stompas. I would say that they are a bit bigger than EA metal Stompas, a bit taller but have a bit less in width and depth.

Size wise using the Warhounds as reference i would say that EA Stompas are between Gorkamorkanauts and wh40k Stompas.

I'm mainly using the Baneblade as a baseline, because it's the most consistent superheavy across different editions of Epic and 40k.

I specifically left Warhounds out if it, because the relative power level/toughness of Imperial Titans has roughly doubled in recent years.

In current 40k, a Stompa is about 50% tougher than a Baneblade, and an unshielded Warhound is about 50% tougher than a Stompa and a bit more than twice as tough as a Baneblade. Unlike EA, where an unshielded Warhound is substantially less tough than a Baneblade.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Deb wrote:
Having seen the GW releases for their Ork War engines from the times when Armorcast made them to the times when GW and Forgeworld made them. Using that knowledge, the Gorknaughts are larger than a DeffDredd or a MegaDredd, The Stompa is definately larger than a Gorkanught, and the Gargant/slasha gargant even more so. To me they appear to be like an ork version of a smaller knight class. Perhaps the equivelant of say a tau Stormsurge /Supremacy, or the Greyknights Nemesis Dreadnight (maybe a little larger).

For what it's worth, in current 40k a Stompa is a bit tougher than an Acastus Knight, so they're heavier than any current knight class.

Gorkamorkanuats are very similar in toughness to the mid-range Knights like Paladins.

Obviously it all changes from edition to edition... :{[]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:11 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

IJW Wartrader wrote:
Abetillo wrote:
IJW Wartrader wrote:
Roughly speaking,

I'm mainly using the Baneblade as a baseline, because it's the most consistent superheavy across different editions of Epic and 40k.

I specifically left Warhounds out if it, because the relative power level/toughness of Imperial Titans has roughly doubled in recent years.

In current 40k, a Stompa is about 50% tougher than a Baneblade, and an unshielded Warhound is about 50% tougher than a Stompa and a bit more than twice as tough as a Baneblade. Unlike EA, where an unshielded Warhound is substantially less tough than a Baneblade.

I see, so Warhounds indeed have grew up in the last edition, as in the wh40k books i checked both have around the same in toughness plus wounds, or back when there was armour stats they were the same save for the frontal armour being one less point in wh40k Stompas. Makes more sense at least, looking at the miniature that the Warhound is tougher. What doesn't make that much, in my opinion, is that they are 50% tougher than Baneblades. Size is not everything.