Login |  Register |  FAQ

Iron Warrior V2/V3 battle reports (lots of photos).

Post subject: Re: Iron Warrior V2 battle reports (lots of photos).
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:40 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

There ya go. I looked verywhere but there... ::) ;D
I wnt back to check the rules because something was nagging at my memory.
Thanks for pointing me to the right place!

NetEA Rules Chair
NetEA FAQ

Want to play Iron Warriors in Epic Armageddon? Click HERE
Some of my Armies.
My Hobby site.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:02 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

It took me a few minutes of searching to locate it too...

Ghost's Paint Blog, where everything goes that isn't something else.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Onyx wrote:
Thanks for the report Chazrael :)

A really interesting Iron Warrior list! I wish I had enough Dreadnoughts to have a go at something like this ;D
A few points:
- From memory (haven't checked the rules though) starting the game, Garrisoned on Overwatch provides infantry out in the open a -1 to-hit modifier when shot at. I don't believe going on Overwatch by itself provides the same to-hit modifier.

- It's only the extra attack on the Dreadnought Power Fist that is Macro Weapon. The base attack is normal.

- Invulnerable Saves cannot be used on hits form Hack Down. Only Fearless protects in that situation.

The Defilers will be increased to 275pts for 4 as a core formation. I have already edited the Armyforge Army Builder list and will be submitting it to Adam77 as soon as possible.

Many thanks for the report and your thoughts, it is greatly appreciated!
I hope to see more soon 8)

No problem. I hoped to have this one posted a couple of weeks ago but real life got in the way!

I've managed to acquire through fleabay plenty of the old plastic dreadnoughts which helps. They don't really fit in other lists so the dreadnought pack is one of the attractions of the IW list to me.

Speaking of dreadnoughts will have to remember that only the extra attack is MW. I don't think it would have helped the SL much (the dreadnoughts dice were on fire) but may have made a slight difference.

Thanks for the Invulnerable save clarification. I rolled the save and failed so no impact there.

No problem with defiler cost increase, as I said in the report I'm probably too used to other systems and think everything is fragile!

Is there anything you want me to focus on in testing? I'm planning on tweaking the drop list for my next game unless you'd rather I look at something else?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:24 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

caveat: this was a solo play battle ( I was looking at the IW and making some lists and then just ended up playing a whole battle out with one of the armies on new years day). Table under standard size.

IW list
IW Ret + SC + oblit (BTS)
IW Ret + oblit
IW Ret + rhinos
Defilers
Defilers
Decimator
Decimator
Decimator
Chosen + rhinos
Terminators
Hellblades

This list was taken not to be IW-ish, but to use regular Black Legion units within the context of the very flexible IW support/assault upgrade format.

Codex Astartes
Tacticals + SC + hunter
Terminators + chaplain
Devastators
Assault Marines
Predator Annihilators + hunter
Land speeders
Land speeders
Thunderhawk (with terminators in)
Warhound
Warhound
Thunderbolts

Selected this force as what i believe to be fairly general marine list.

Terrain

Overview T1 (warning, sporadic tense changes ahead)
Defilers kill 2 predator annihilators off the bat on a double.
Speeders move to the left flank and center of the board, ZOCing one of the roads to limit decimator advance and allowing a retaining warhound to crossfire the rhino ret that had already moved up. Warhound causes 5 casualties and breaks the rhino ret.

Rest of turn mostly moving up and BM placement/small further casualties. Marines hold the crossroads with both warhounds.

T2 Overview
IW terminators appear on crossroads but marines win initiative, moving the warhounds away and breaking the defilers on the right flank road.
On the left flank the foot retinue sustains on the land speeder screen, only getting two kills but opening up a large enough gap for retaining defilers to rush through and assault the devastators. Defilers kill two devs for no losses but lose the assault.
The predator annihilators have taken further fire and are down to one pred and a hunter, but the single pred (hunter supressed) sustains on defilers … and kills 3!
Decimators move up to contest cross roads, a couple of decimators take 1 DC, a couple of warhounds lose voids and one drops a DC. Decimator wipes out the assault marines.

T3 overview
Marine initiative.
The predator that wrecked 3 defilers last turn sustains on a decimator and blows it up with a crit. Hero Predator killed later in the turn by the defiler that had its 3 friends blow up by the tank in T2.
Rallied defilers move behind the Tactical marines to sit on the BTS and manage to take out the SC.
Decimator retains and belches a MW barrage onto the Tactical BTS, causing enough casualties to break them.

The crossroad has become a WE and terminator slugfest, both warhounds break and a marine air assault destroys a second decimator, ending the turn in assault range of the last one on 2DC.
Hellblades failed to activate in their attempt to strafe what remained of the Tactical BTS. IW dominate the left flank with their infantry, while marines look stronger on the crossroads and have broken formations on the right flank landing pad objective.
T3 end VP IW:1(Blitz) Marines:0

T4 overview
Marine initiative. Terminators charge the last decimator, doing no damage in the first found of combat and 1 DC in the second, losing the assault overall on poor resolution rolls. Warhound retaines and blows up the last decimator with plasma.
Rest of the turn mostly just a mopping up operation for the IW. The marine speeders took steady casualties over the game and were finally wiped out, and the devastators were reduced to one stand. IW terminators break the warhound on the crossroad with a BM, but the IW are unable to get to the remaining units in the marine BTS, which had fled to a corner behind terrain. Marines hold the right flank landing pad objective but nothing else.

IW win 2:0 with Blitz and T&H

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:55 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Thanks for the batrep mate :)
It looks like there were some interesting dice rolls!

Any thoughts on the Iron Warriors list?

NetEA Rules Chair
NetEA FAQ

Some of my Armies.
My Hobby site.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:47 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Dice rolls were interesting, but I think they evened out overall, marines just happened to get most of their high rolls on one predator :D

Taking the list I did feet a bit like I could just take all the toys I wanted, however, that's due to me not trying to use any IW specials.

I've got a tentative game arranged for next week which I'd like to try a combination or ordinatus and drop pod assault (Dreads and scouts+dreads) for, and the support/assault split makes you think much harder about which options to choose there.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:41 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

12th January 2014 – Iron Warriors vs Minervan Tank Legion

Minervan Tank Legion
TANK COMPANY [575] Thunderer, 8 Exterminator, Flak Support (Hydra), Leman Russ
TANK COMPANY [675] 10 Exterminator, Supreme Commander, Flak Support (Hydra) (BTS)
ARTILLERY BATTERY [250] 3 Manticores
DEATHSTRIKE MISSILE BATTERY [200] 2 Deathstrike Missile Launchers
SALAMANDER SCOUT PLATOON [125] 3 Salamanders, Salamander Command Vehicle
SUPER-HEAVY TANK PLATOON [200] Shadowsword
THUNDERBOLT FIGHTERS [150] 2 Thunderbolts
WARHOUND [275] 1 Warhound Class Titan

Iron Warriors (V2.0a)
DEFILER ASSAULT PACK [275] 4 Defilers
CHOSEN [125] 4 Chaos Space Marine Scouts
OBLITERATOR CULT [425] 5 Obliterators
HAVOC COMPANY [400] 4 Havocs and 2 Land Raiders, Warsmith (Supreme Commander), Stalker
ARMOURED COMPANY [250] 4 Chaos Predator, Stalker
SUPER HEAVY COMPANY – DECIMATOR [225] Decimator
DEVASTATION CLASS CRUISER [150]
ORDINATUS MEDRENGARD [600](BTS)

Board set-up and deployment. The Chaos Devestation Cruiser is coming on turn 1.

Turn 1.

Iron Warriors teleport in the Obliterators near the Minervan Deathstrikes/Manticores and Salamanders.

Strategy roll goes to the Minervans.

A Warhound advances on the Obliterators and only kills one of them (even using the Plasma Blast Gun). Fearful of the unbroken Obliterators, another Warhound attacks them and manages to kill one more, breaking them.
The Chaos Cruiser activates and hits the Shadowsword with the pin-point attack (killing it on a critical). The orbital bombardment hits a Leman Russ Exterminator formation. Retaing, the Ordinatus sustains fire and hits both tank companies and a Warhhound.
Thunderbolts dive down and attack the Ordinatus. One of them was shot out of the sky by the Ordinatus AA fire and the remaining TBolt took out 2 Void Shields.
Iron Warrior Defilers march along their base line, heading nearer to the Minervan forces but staying out of Exterminator effective range.
The Deathstrikes failed to activate (even with a re-roll) and fired a titan-killing missile on Defilers which missed.
The Manticores were also fairly ineffective on turn 1.
More of the Iron Warrior formations move along the base line to set themselves up for objectives in the following turns.
The Minervan Salamanders had a few shots at the Broken Obliterators but caused no damage.
Exterminator tanks advanced towards the middle of the board.
The remaining Imperial Warhound failed to activate and broke.
The other Tank Company also failed to activate and cleared blast markers.
Chaos Predators, the Decimator and the last Defiler formation all headed for the middle/right side of the board.
The remaining Thunderbolt is shot down exiting the table.

Rally phase.
All Chaos forces Rally.
A couple of the Minervan formation fail to clear all their blast markers.

Turn 2.

No teleports.

Strategy roll goes to the Iron Warriors.

The Obliterators (who are in the Salamander’s zone of control) double through the scout screen (one failing a dangerous terrain test in the swamp) and place a blast marker on the Deathstrikes. Attempting to retain with the Ordinatus fails and it clears it’s blast marker.
Warhounds again pour their Vulcan Mega Bolter rounds into the Obliterators and break them. The 2 remaining Obliterators head for the Minervan Blitz objective.
Defilers move through some ruins and fire on an Exterminator Tank Company, killing one tank.
An Exterminator Tank Company fails to activate (for the second turn in a row) but rolls forwards towards objectives.
The other Tank Company rolls forwards and takes a few long range shots, breaking the Chosen formation.
Iron Warrior Predators advance on an un-activated Warhound and strip it’s shields and cause 1 DC damage.
The Decimator super heavy tank follows up and breaks the Warhound which withdraws towards the Chaos Blitz objective and the Ordinatus.
The Deathstrikes follow the Obliterators, trying to keep away from the Defilers.
The Manticores are ineffective again.
The Salamanders pull back to try and protect the Deathstikes from the Obliterators.

Rally phase.
The Iron Warrior Chosen formation remains broken and moves in the way of the advancing Minervans. The Obliterators also fail to rally. The rest of the Chaos forces rally.
The broken Minervan Warhound fails to rally as does one of the Tank Companies. The rest rally.

Turn 3.

No teleports.

Strategy roll goes to the Iron Warriors.

The Iron Warriors head for objectives and place as many blast markers on Imperial formations as possible.
The Minervans do the same, placing a Tank Company near an objective on their side of the board and breaking a nearby Defiler Pack.
The Decimator heads for an objective and takes a long range shot at the Tank Company, killing one tank. The Ordinatus opens fire and hits a Warhound.
The broken Chosen formation is wiped out.
With the last activation of the turn, a Warhound doubles onto the Iron half of the board and contest an objective (the Iron Warriors were set to win at this point 2:0 with Defend the Flag and They Shall Not Pass). Onto turn 4.

Rally phase.
All Iron Warrior forces rally.
All Minervan forces rally except the broken Warhound near the Ordinatus.

Turn 4.

No teleports.

Strategy roll goes to the Minervans.

An Exterminator Tank Company engages the Chaos Predators and wipes them out, also placing a blast marker on the nearby Decimator.
The Ordinatus sustains fire on the BTS Tank Company and breaks it. The Iron Warrior Havocs follow the broken BTS Tank Company and kills two tanks, causing a total of 5 Exterminators being destroyed. The lone (Fearless) Commissar tank remains close to a ruined building for cover.
Warhounds break Defiler formations with relative ease.
The Obliterators engage the Deathstrikes and wipe them out, placing a blast marker on the nearby Salamanders (the Salamanders are one blast marker off breakingas are the Obliterators).
The Decimator opens fire on the remaining Tank Company and breaks it.
The Salamanders pass their activation roll and break the Obliterators.

Rally phase.
At this stage, The Iron Warriors had 4 formations on the Minervan half of the board. All were Fearless and all were broken. If one of them were to rally, the game would go to points. With both Minervan Tank Companies broken and near Chaos formations, the Iron Warriors were quite hopeful. Unfortunately for the Iron Warriors, all four broken formations failed to rally and both Tank Companies successfully rallied. The game was won by the Minervans, MUCH to their surprise!

2:0 with Defend The Flag and They Shall Not Pass.

A memorable and enlightening game. Many thanks Matt.

Formation of the game for the Iron Warriors was the Obliterators. The formation survived the entire game even with Warhound titans chasing them around the board and they continually nullified the Deathstikes.

NetEA Rules Chair
NetEA FAQ

Some of my Armies.
My Hobby site.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

IW (v2) - 3000

Iron warrior co + Obliterator (375)
Iron warrior co + Obliterator (375)
Iron warrior co + warsmith + 4rhino + stalker (440) (BTS)
Arm. Assault Co (250)
Dread Assault pack + dreadclaw (250)
Hellblades (200)
Hellblades (200)
Dev. Cruiser (150)

Based on the previous drop list but amended to try and fix some shortcomings. Still a cruiser full of dreadnoughts as the drop element.
Garrison IW formations now have obliterator as AA instead of stalker (to avoid AT sniping out AA). Lack of vehicles means formations now can't be hurt by AT weapons.
Extra formation of hellblades taken to try and get air supremcy. Once acheived will try to use suriving hellblades to place bm or strike at broken formations.
Defilers replaced with another Iron warrior co with Rhinos and Vindicator group. These are both larger (so more resilient) and quicker (so can support dreads quicker).
Had to drop the artillery battery to get points for the new elements. Still have SC in BTS formation which isn't ideal although he's now not garrisoning.
Still planning a turn 2 drop (although concerned at how hard turn 1 is). May try something slightly different with objectives this time.

Not really testing anything apart from how nasty the mass dreadnought drop really is.

Steel Legion (Tournament pack 2013) - 3000

Reg HQ + Hydra (commissar) (550)
Mech Inf + Hellhounds (commissar) (525)
Tank company + Hydra + Hellhounds (commissar) (825) BTS
Inf Company + Fire support (commissar) (350)
Sentinels (commissar) (100)
Sentinels (commissar) (100)
Artillery Battery (Bombards) (250)
Thunderbolt (150)
Thunderbolt (150)

One last outing for the old, dependable army list.

Deployment

Same board board edges as previous game.
IW and SL deploy blitz objs in corners
IW deploy first obj on road towards back of complex.
SL deploy first objective on SL left flank
IW deploy second obj on road towards front of complex. Plan is to push along road towards blitz.
SL placement limited by second IW obj. End up placing it on SL far right to split IW garrisons.

IW don't won't to endure turn 1 heavily outnumbered so declare cruiser arriving turn 1.
Bombardment centred on (60,73) from SL blitz the closet SL objective,
dreadnoughts to arrive (8,15), (15,8), (40,50), (50,65).
Trying to threaten objectives and set up crossfires with advancing ground troops. Gain momentum and keep momentum

Garrisons
IW deploy IW A on IW right objective
SL deploy inf co around front objective
IW deploy IW B in building in front of IW left obj ready to engage SL inf co asap. (its 13cm from objective to back unit). Not seen garrisons this close before!
SL deploy sentinel A in cover surrounding other objective placing ZoC
All garrisons on overwatch

Normal deployment
IW deploy IW SC ready to reinforce where required
SL deploy sent B putting ZOC on blitz
IW deploy vinds ready to push onto objective chain
SL deploy mech inf co on their left hoping to dash towards IW blitz,
SL deploy tank co on thier right ready to push into IW
SL deploy Req Hq centrally ready to reinforce where required
SL deploy bombards centrally

Turn 1
IW win initative
IW call in spaceship (just).
Pinpoint attack wasted as no warmachine present.
Barrage lands killing one stand in the inf co (placing 2 blastmarkers).
Dreadclaws land in sites adjusted to be out of ZoC. Dreadnoughts deploy where possible moving into terrain(passing all dangerous terrain chcks)
SL overwatch. Sentinel A fire at dread C, missing but placing on 1 bm. Inf co declines overwatch at this time.
IW retain (using SC reroll) with IW B engaging SL inf co. 3 stands (including lord make base contact).
SL overwatch at IW B, 3 hits, no kills (placing 1 bm)
IW attacks 7 hits, 4 kills (including commissar)
SL attack 5 hits, 2 kills
IW support fire from dreadnoughts c & D, 5 hits, 3 kills
resolution
IW 5 (dice) + 7 (kills) + 2 (inspiring, opp has more bm)
SL 6 (dice) + 2 (kills) + 1 (outnumbered)
IW win by 5
SL retreat to nearby building, IW B consolidate into building
Rules Q do bm on formations that contributed support fire count? Do units that fired support fire count for outnumbering?

SL tank co advance (with sc reroll) on dread A claiming crossfire with sentinel B, 9 hits, 4 kills breaking them.
SL Reg HQ tries to retain to advance and succeeds (nervous moment here having used reroll on tank co). They move and disembark claiming crossfire with sentinel B firing at dreadnought B, 7 hits! (14 shots needing 6's), killing 3 dreads breaking them
Having done what they can to protect their blitz SL rest.
IW dread D engage sentinel A 2 reaching base contact
IW attack killing 3 sentinels
SL attack missing
resolution
IW 3 (dice) + 3 (kills) + 1 (outnumbering)
SL 3(dice) + 1 (inspiring from commissar)
IW win wiping out remaining sentinel
SL thunderbolt A goes on cap
IW hellblade A attempts to go on cap and fails
SL sentinel B sustain at dread A, no hits, no loss due to fearless.
IW hellblade B go on cap
SL thunderbolt B ground attack B dreadnoughts. Enter from SL left flank, spiral round and fly along baseline so will be under cover from hydra in Reg hq. Helltalons don't intercept. 1 dreadnought killed.
IW dreadnought C double into corner of next building firing at tank co,1 hit no kills, 1bm
SL bombards sustain at dreadnought C to try and protect tank co, 2 hits, 1 kill, 3bm breaking them (did almost shoot at the IW co that engaged the inf co but was concerned about 2 dread formations need tank co).
IW Vinds double towards building to right of objective, firing at inf co. 1 hit, 1 kill 2 more kills due to bm leaving 1 stand
SL mech co march behind wood on SL left ready to press forward next turn.
IW IW SC moves up to support IW A on IW right

End Phase
Thunderbolts leave via their own table edge. Thunderbolts and helltalons stay on CAP
All IW except dread A rally
All SL rally

Analysis
Well that was messy!
Couple of potentially big mistakes by both sides. The inf co should probably have been on the back objective to avoid the early assault that saw them butchered, although it did lure the IW in so may turn out be strategically valid although costly.
The IW probably dropped too soon. Given the bombardment only caught two stands should probably have used the vindicator to prep for the assault. This might have given the dreads a slightly safer landing zone.
Still everything to play for in turn 2.

Turn 2

IW win initative. All or nothing move to try and cripple the tank co.
IW dread D double through building towards tank co (reaching support range) and fire at tank co. 1 hit, 1 hellhound killed, placing 2 bm's
IW dread C engage (with SC reroll) tank co. Expecting to lose dreads here but hoping to do serious damage to tank co.
All 4 dreads reach base contact, no countercharge moves (All SL troops better at FF).
IW 1 hit, 3 MW hits, 1 hellhound, 1 LR killed
SL 4 hits, all saved!
IW support fire, 4 hits killing 1 hellhound, 1 hydra and 1 LR
Resolution
IW 6 (dice) + 5 (kills) = 10
SL 4 (dice) + 0 ( kills) + 2 (outnumbering, commissar) = 6
IW win by 4. Hackdown kills 4 LR.
Tank co falls back towards their board edge near broken dreads (didn't want to fallback towards IW table edge as would have completely unsupported).
That went better than expected! Fortune definitley favoured the bold here. Was prepared to have the dreads wiped out in exchange for gutting the tank co (although the dreads are fearless so can't be hacked down so not quite as risky as it could be).
SL sentinel B sustain at dread B. Not the most exciting move but hoping to wipe out the formation allowing the co hq to do something more interesting. 3 hits, 2kills wiping out formation. (There was the option of engaging the dreads with the bombards but that sounded too foolhardy).
SL co hq retains and advances past building towards dread A firing at them, 4 hits, killing 2 breaking them.
Two reasons for this, first to try and weaken dreads, second to put tank co under hydra cover to discourage any ground attacks
IW vindicators double towards Reg hq, firing at vehicles, 3 hits, 3 saves! placing 1 bm. Wanted to kill transports to reduce mobility and reduce firepower of formation (2 ap shots per dead chim as opposed to 1/2 ap shot from inf stand). Still those dice start to make up for the tank co.
SL thunderbolt B ground attack dread A. fly in from corner and fire from max range.
Hoping to kill more dreads while remain under hydra cover to protect against hellblades.
IW Hellblades on CAP intercept (need those dreadnoughts alive!)
Co HQ hydra fires at hellblades,1 hit, 1kill
thunderbolts fire def aa at hellblades, 1hit, 1 kill
hellblades fire at thunderbolts, 2 hits!, thunderbolts jink but still both die!
IW IW A go back on overwatch
SL bombards ordered to advance to a new firing position but fail taking a bm
IW IW B goes on overwatch covering objective.
SL remains of inf co march up behind vinds to set up crossfire next turn.
IW SC doubles towards bombards firing at them, 2 hits!, 2kills breaking them
This was pure opportunism to deal with bomards before they reload for turn3, as a bonus it extends AA cover
SL mech inf advance further into IW territory. Hellhounds drive throuhg woodlands to ensure they are in range, all pass terrain checks,
IW IW A fire overwatch, ob & havoc fire at vehicles, csm fire at inf, 1 hellhound killed, 1 inf killed
SL fire 5 hits, 1 kill!, 2 bm
IW helltalons ground attack mech co
SL thunderbolts on CAP intercept
oblits flak at thunderbolts, no hits 1 bm
thunderbolts fire at hellblades, 2 hits, hellblades jink, 1 dies

End phase
All surviving planes disengage from their own board edge
Rallies
All IW rally
SL tank co and co hq rally

Turn 3
SL win init
SL Sentinels sustain at surviving dread A claiming crossfire from LR, 2 hits and killed.
SL retain with tank co advancing back away from dreads (outside engage range of back formation) and firing at dread D, 3 hits, 1kill breaking them
IW vindicators sustain at Reg hq, firing at inf 4 hits, 4 kills
IW retain with IW A firing at mech co, oblit shooting AT, others shooting AP, no hits!
SL thunderbolts ground attack unbroken dread D, 2 hits, 0 kills
IW dread D move into building to claim cover
SL Reg hq engage vindicators, chimeras moving into contact with vinds forcing CC
SL 5 hits, 2 kills
IW counterattack 1 hit, 1kill
SL support fire from inf co 1 hit, 1kill!
resolution
SL 3!(dice) + 3 (kills) + 1(comm) + 2 (outnumbering)
IW 5(dice) + 1 (kill) + 2(bm)
SL win by 1
IW vinds fall back (1 failing terrain test)
IW single hellblade stands down (failed roll) removing bm
SL mech co double towards IW blitz, firing at IW inf. 5 hits, 3 kills
IW double hellblade stands down (failed roll)
SL inf co advances towards objective hoping to shoot at dreads and contest obj. However IW inf co fires overwtch (no hits) at them breaking them
IW IW SC doubles towards Reg HQ, inf deploy into building, vehicles behind building. Fire at AP at Reg HQ. No hits

End phase
Check for victory
SL blitz, IW take and hold
Draw so onto turn 4
Thunderbolts disengage from sideboard edge picking up a blast marker
Rallies
IW unbroken dreads rally, IW inf co rallies
SL tank co , co hq, and mech co rally

Turn 4
IW win init
IW sc engages SL co HQ. 4 CSM make base contact. SL countercharges, SC stand (with comm) makes base contact everyone else firefights
IW attacks 7 hits, kill 2 inf, sc and 4 chimera! (failed 5 5+saves and one invulnerable)!
SL counterattacks 3 hits, kill 1 CSM
resolution
IW 3 (dice) + 7 (kills) + 2(bm) + 1 (outnumbering)
SL 6 (dice) + 1 (kill)
IW win by 6. hackdowns kill all except three inf stands.
SL tank co advances down road towards objective firing at dreadnoughts, 3 hits, 1 kill breaking them denying T&H
IW IW A want to sustain at mech inf, however they're out of coherency so have to advance instead, obs fire AT, others AP. 2 hits, 1 inf stand killed
SL thunderbolts try go on cap but fail
IW double hellblade ground attack broken Reg hq, 1 kill plus 2 more for bm wiping them out (petty move with an eye on tiebreaker if we get there, don't think it will get there though as can't contest blitz).
SL mech co advance towards IW blitz, firing on IW killing one havoc.
IW single hellblade tries to gorund attack bombard but fail and stand down
SL sentinels double forwards to screen tank co (in case wen end up on turn 5) firing on western dreads no hits

End phase
Check for victory
SL blitz, IW nothing
1-0 victory to SL!

Thoughts
Well that was close. Almost victory for the IW (currently they're 0 from 3). Another turn would probably have seen the IW win I think.
Suspect the dreads would be better all dropped in the same area, the 2 on the blitz didn't really do anything, although they did soak up SL activations.
Onyx's new option for SC in a dreadnought is interesting as it opens up multi-unit assaults from commander.
felt happier with level of AA cover, not sure whether that was the oblits or the second hellblade formation, either way its my list building rather than a function of the list.

Don't really have any concerns / feedback for the list. Based on the last couple of games cruiser full of dreadnoughts is nasty but not overpowered (someone with more experience than me may disagree).

hoping to get a few more games in over the next few weeks. Will try against different approved lists.

Post subject: Re: Iron Warrior V2/V3 battle reports (lots of photos).
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:26 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Iron Warriors V3 vs Codex Marines.
So I managed to get some games in recently.
1 vs a Codex Marines drop list and a few vs Biel-Tan Eldar.

Of course I've left it a little too long to remember all the details... ::) ;D
Game 1 vs Marines:
Iron Warriors
    IRON WARRIORS COMPANY [400] 6 Chaos Space Marines and 2 Havocs, Stalker, Warsmith (Supreme Commander)
    OBLITERATOR CULT [350] 4 Obliterators
    DREADNOUGHT ASSAULT PACK [250] 5 Chaos Dreadnoughts, 5 Dreadclaw Drop Pod
    DEFILER ASSAULT PACK [425] 6 Defilers
    ARMOURED COMPANY [325] 1 Chaos Predator, Stalker, 3 Chaos Land Raider
    ARMOURED COMPANY [250] 4 Chaos Predator, Stalker
    SUPER HEAVY COMPANY - DECIMATOR [225] Decimator
    ORDINATUS MEDRENGARD [625] (BTS)

Marines
    DEVASTATOR [400] 4 Devastators, 2 Dreadnought, Librarian
    STRIKE CRUISER [200]
    TERMINATOR [400] 4 Terminators, Captain
    TERMINATOR [400] 4 Terminators, Chaplain
    TERMINATOR [350] 4 Terminators
    THUNDERHAWK [200]
    THUNDERHAWK [200]
    MARAUDER SQUADRON [250] 2 Maurader bombers
    MARAUDER SQUADRON [250] 2 Maurader bombers
    THUNDERBOLT SQUADRON [175] 2 Thunderbolt Fighters
    THUNDERBOLT SQUADRON [175] 2 Thunderbolt Fighters
3x BTS - :o :D

The game ended up in a 4th turn points win to the Iron Warriors (only a couple of hundred points in it).

Board.
Marines win Strategy roll and give Iron Warriors first go.
    Iron Warriors Company go on Overwatch
    Thunderhawk attacks Defilers destroying 1
    Defilers fail to activate and remove blast markers
    Thunderhawk attacks Armoured Company
    Decimator marches forward
    Marauders break Armoured Company
    Other Armoured Company doubles forward
    Marauders attack Obliterators and are both shot down
    Obliterators go on Overwatch
    Thunderbolts attack Decimator doing 1 point of damage
    Ordinatus goes on Overwatch
    Thunderbolts attack Decimator and break it
    Chaos Cruiser activates and has no targets to fire upon - Dreadnoughts drop-pod onto the board near Marine Blitz
    Dreadnoughts go on Overwatch

Planes all leave with 1 Tbolt being shot down

All Chaos formations rally.

Turn 2.

No teleports.

Marines win Strategy Roll and give the Iron Warriors 1st go.
    Armoured Company doubles forward
    Lone Thunderbolt attacks the Chaos Dreadnoughts and places a blast marker
    Defilers double forward
    Thunderbolts fail to activate and stand down
    Iron Warriors Company go on Overwatch
    Thunderhawk fails to activate and stands down
    Obliterators advance through to woods
    Thunderhawk with Devs/Dreadnoughts engages the Obliterators. Obliterators lose 1 stand and break. Thunderhawk has a blast marker for being shot at on the way in
    Ordinatus fires at the Devs/Dreads killing 2 stands of Dreads. 6 blast markers are placed on the Devs and the Thunderhawk is broken after taking 1DC of damage
    Decimator doubles and fires on the Devs placing a blast marker
    Armoured Company doubles forward

Marine Devestators rally and have 3 blast markers on them.
Obliterators fail to rally.
All other Iron Warrior formations rally.

Turn 3.
Marines teleport in 3 formations of Terminators all receiving 1 blast marker each.

Marines win the Strategy roll and go first.
    Terminators engage the Iron Warrior Dreadnoughts. The Dreads place a blast marker from overwatch fire but are wiped out in the engagement. The Terminators take 2 casualties and break
    Marines retain with Terminators and engage an Armoured Company leaving 1 Predator alive and broken for no loss
    Decimator advances and fires on the unactivated Terminators killing 2 stands and breaking them
    Iron Warriors retain with the Ordinatus and sustain fire on the Devastators killing 1 stand and breaking them
    The Marines Strike Cruiser activates and hits the Ordinatus and nearby Infantry Company killing 1 stand of Chaos Marines
    Iron Warriors double an Armoured Company onto an objective
    Marine Thunderbolt fails to activate and stands down
    Defilers engage the broken Devastators (1 failing a dangerous terrain test). Devs are wiped out for the loss of 2 Defilers
    Marine Thunderbolts attack the Defilers placing a blast marker, breaking them
    Iron Warrior Infantry Company doubles forward and places a blast marker on a Terminator formation
    Marine Marauders attack an Armoured Company, destroying a Stalker and breaking them
    A Marine Thunderhawk attacks the same Armoured Company and removes 1 Chaos Landraider

All Marine formation rally.
An Iron Warriors Armoured Company and Obliterators fail to rally whilst all other formations are successful.

Iron Warriors have They Shall Not Pass.
Marines have no Victory Goals.
Onto turn 4.

Turn 4.
No teleports.
Iron Warriors win Strategy Roll.

Ordinatus sustains fire on Terminators and breaks them
Iron Warriors retain with the Decimator and fire on a Terminator Detachment, placing a blast marker
The lone Thunderbolt fails to activate (again ::) ) and stands down
Iron Warrior Infantry Company advances onto a nearby objective and places a blast marker on Terminators
Marine Terminators marshal and wipe out broken Chaos Landraider
Defilers advance onto nearby objective and place a blast marker on the unbroken Terminators
Marine Thunderbolts attack the Defilers and score 3 hits - all of which are saved! Only places 1 blast marker and doesn't break the Defilers
Marine Marauders fail to retain and stand down
Lone Chaos Predator marches onto an objective
Thunderhawk breaks the lone Predator
Marine Terminators double towards the Iron Warriors Infantry Company placing a blast marker but also contesting the objective (and denying They Shall Not Pass to the Iron Warriors)

A 0:0 draw after 4 turns.
Iron Warriors win on Victory Points after end phase.

NetEA Rules Chair
NetEA FAQ

Some of my Armies.
My Hobby site.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:01 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

I've neglected this thread for too long so here is a quick bat-rep from a game last week.

Iron Warriors V3 vs Death Korps of Krieg V1.2

Devastation Cruiser plotted for turn 1

Teleports:
I.W. Obliterators teleport near to Krieg Deathstrikes.

Turn 1.
I.W. win Initiative.
Devastation Cruiser activates and misses with its bombardment. Pin Point attack on the Krieg Deathstrikes misses. Dreadnoughts land near to Krieg Scout Riders.
I.W. retain with Obliterators and destroy the Deathstrike Bunker.
Krieg Leman Russ’ double forward and attack the recently landed Dreadnoughts.
The Ordinatus sustains fire on a Waround and also hits the nearby Death Riders and an Infantry Company in Gorgons.
Krieg Scout Riders engage the Dreadnoughts. Dreadnoughts lose and the remaining 3 head towards some cover in the middle of the board.
Defilers advance and break the previously bombarded Warhound.
Death Riders engage the Obliterators and win. Obliterators hold position.
The I.W. Decimator doubles forward and attacks the Leman Russ platoon.
Krieg Thunderbolts attack Defilers and destroy 2 of them.
Defilers Marshal.
Krieg AA formation doubles and attacks some Defilers.
Krieg Regimental HQ doubles and attacks the Chosen scout screen.
The I.W. Infantry Company doubles over to get a shot at the Thunderbolts when they leave.
The remaining Krieg Infantry Company Marches across the board.
The Warhound advances on the broken Dreadnoughts.

Thunderbolts take a blast marker in the end phase.

Krieg Warhound fails to rally. Krieg Death Riders fail to clear blast markers. All other Krieg units rally.

I.W. Dreadnoughts and Obliterators fail to rally. All other I.W. formations clear blast markers.

Turn 2.
I.W. win initiative.
Ordinatus Medrengard sustains on the Krieg Infantry Company.
Defilers retain and engage the same Infantry Company but lose and retreat across the board.
Death Riders engage the Obliterators again and wipe them out.
I.W. Chosen advance on the Scout Riders.
Scout Riders engage the Chosen and break them.
The Decimator sustains fire on the Regimental HQ for no damage.
The Regimental HQ engages the Chosen and wipes them out.
I.W. Infantry Company doubles and shoots at the Krieg Infantry Company.
The Krieg Infantry Company fails to activate and clear blast markers.
Krieg AA formation doubles and destroys some broken Defilers.
Thunderbolts attack Defilers.
The Warhound wipes out the broken Dreadnoughts.
Krieg Leman Russ tanks double forward and attack the Decimator.

Thunderbolts leave unscathed.

Krieg rallies all formations.

I.W. rally Defilers and Decimator.

Turn 3.
I.W. win initiative.
The Decimator sustains fire on the Regimental HQ Gorgons for no damage.
Defilers retain and engage the Leman Russ tanks and win.
The Death Riders engage the remaining Dreadnought and wipe it out.
The Ordinatus Sustains fire on the Regimental HQ and also hits the Scout Riders and the broken Leman Russ Company.
Krieg AA formation marches over to a nearby objective.
The I.W. Infantry Company sustains fire on the Krieg Infantry Company Gorgons.
The rallied Warhound advances on the I.W. Infantry Company.
The other Warhound advances onto it’s own Blitz objective and fires on the broken Defilers.
Finally, the Thunderbolts strafe the broken Defilers and destroy them.

This resulted in a 2:0 win to Krieg with Defend the Flag and They Shall Not Pass.

I consider this list to be ready to submit for approval.
Anyone else have any game reports or thoughts about the list?

Cheers,
Steve.

NetEA Rules Chair
NetEA FAQ

Some of my Armies.
My Hobby site.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:30 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

thanks for the report!

"You have a right to be offended" - Steve Hughes
"Your feelings are hurting my thoughts" - Aron Flam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:37 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote:
I consider this list to be ready to submit for approval.
Anyone else have any game reports or thoughts about the list?

I have now played against the Iron Warriors list almost 20 times over the last few years, and used it myself twice. I think the latest iteration is the best and most balanced it has ever been.

The list has some definite power and has all the tools needed to win games, but they are appropriately costed. The army also fits the theme of the Iron Warriors very well and represents the force on the table as something different from similar Chaos factions.

I agree that it is ready to go through to approval.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 12:47 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

I really need to get more batreps done for the Iron Warriors V3.1.
I have played many games this year but they were almost all using the same list (as I was preparing for tournament play). Not ideal when playtesting an army for approval.

Anyway, here's a game from earlier this year.

Between a rock and the Iron Warriors (or what happens when EVERYTHING goes the 4th Legion's way).

The armies:
Codex Marines
DEVASTATOR [400] 4 Devastators, 2 Dreadnought, Chaplain
LAND RAIDER [450] 4 Land Raiders, Hunter, Vindicator (BTS)
LAND SPEEDER [200] 5 Landspeeder
PREDATOR [250] 4 Annihilator
TACTICAL [375] 6 Tacticals, Supreme Commander
TERMINATOR [400] 4 Terminators, Captain
TERMINATOR [350] 4 Terminators
THUNDERHAWK [200]
WHIRLWIND [375] 4 Whirlwinds, Hunter

Iron Warriors V3.1
IRON WARRIORS COMPANY [440] 6 Chaos Space Marines and 2 Havocs, Warsmith (Supreme Commander), 4 Chaos Rhino, Stalker (BTS)
IRON WARRIOR TERMINATORS [350] Iron Warriors Lord, 4 Iron Warrior Terminator, Obliterator
CHOSEN [125] 4 Chaos Space Marine Scouts
OBLITERATOR CULT [350] 4 Obliterators
ARTILLERY BATTERY [350] 4 Chaos Basilisks, Emplacements
ARTILLERY BATTERY [375] 4 Chaos Basilisks, Stalker

The board (corner deployment).

The Iron Warriors Cruiser is scheduled for turn 1.
Throwing caution to the wind, the Iron Warriors teleport right into the teeth of the Marines (Chaos Terminators came in clean followed by Loyalist Terminators. The Obliterators then appeared in a supporting position as other Marine Terminators materialised nearby.

Turn 1 initiative goes to the Iron Warriors!
Chaos Terminators charge in and over 2 rounds of close combat (supported by the Obliterators) the Land Raiders (BTS) are wiped out!
The obliterators retain and double over to fire on the Land Speeders and kill one.

The rest of turn 1 looked like this:
The Marines had the wind knocked out of them but moved aggressively across the board.
Marine Terminators failed to activate and cleared blast markers.
The other Loyalist Terminators sustained fire on the Chaos Terminators placing a BM.
Whirlwinds fired on Defilers.
One mistake was landing the Thunderhawk before the Chaos cruiser had activated (giving the TK pin-point attack something to target). The Devs and Dreads did kill 2 Defilers during the combat landing but the Thunderhawk was destroyed soon after.
Defilers doubled and targeted Whilwinds.
Chaos Basilisks hit Land Speeders and Predator Annihilators.

Marines rallied everything except the Predators.
Iron Warriors rallied everything.

Turn 2.
No teleports.
Initiative to the Iron Warriors.
Defilers Advance and fire on the Land Speeders (killing 3) braking them.
Chaos Basilisks retain and Sustain on the Predators (destroying 2) braking them.
The Devastators sustain fire on Chaos artillery destroying 1 siege gun.
Defilers sustain fire on the Devs/Dread claiming a cross-fire from the Chosen, wiping them out.
Tactical Marines retain and Advance on Defilers killing 2 and braking them.
Chaos Basilisks sustain fire on the Whirlwinds.
Whirlwinds sustain fore on the BTS Iron Warriors Company.
Iron Warrior Terminators Advance on the broken Land Speeder (no effect).
Terminators follow them and fire on the Chaos Terminators.
Obliterators fire on the Whirlwinds.
Other Terminators fire on the Obliterators.
Chosen Marines March to get within 30cm of the Predators (to hinder their rally rolls and claim objectives).

After turn 2.
Predators and Land Speeders fail to rally.
All Iron Warrior formations rally.

Turn 3.
Iron Warrior Terminators wipe out the broken Land Speeder and claim the Blitz.
Basilisks retain and fire on the Whirlwinds.
Marine Terminators Advance on the Chaos Terminators ready to support a follow-up Fire-fight engagement from the remaining Terminators. The Iron Warrior Terminators roll incredible dice (or maybe it was that indomitable Iron Within spirit) and wipe out their opponents with the loss of only one stand!
Obliterators Double and target the Tacticals.
This is followed up by the Iron Warrior Company and only one stand of Marines is left.
Defilers move to claim 2 objectives in the Marine half.
Whirlwinds fire on them placing a BM.

At this point it's an obvious outcome.

To say the dice were in my favour is an understatement!
Still a fun game fro Frosthammer and I.

If there are any other Iron Warrior players out there, it's time to get the batreps flowing in. If we can get the required amount, the list is ready for approval.

NetEA Rules Chair
NetEA FAQ

Some of my Armies.
My Hobby site.

Last edited by Onyx on Fri May 06, 2016 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Onyx wrote:
If there are any other Iron Warrior players out there, it's time to get the batreps flowing in. If we can get the required amount, the list is ready for approval.

Hi Onyx,

Message from PFE100

PFE100 wrote:
Hi onyx

I will able to help, are there any concerns or builds in the list you need to be tested. I wouldn't be able to test against tau or dark eldar, but I think you got that covered

I may ask for a hand on testing pointy eared pixies later too ;D ;D ......

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 8:56 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Nothing stands out too much...
Maybe Defiler/artillery spam.
Drop podding Dreadnoughts in large numbers?
The Ordinatus (it's been mentioned that it might be a little over-priced now)?

Thanks guys :)

I'm sure Matt and I can help out with the space fairies as well :D

NetEA Rules Chair
NetEA FAQ

Some of my Armies.
My Hobby site.